Author Topic: Jersey jack WOZ blast  (Read 6411 times)

Offline Baiter

• Level 10: Timelord
Re: Jersey jack WOZ blast
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 11:10:49 PM »
They should of had a team of software / hardware developers for the first pin.

I agree.  It's a daunting task to develop the first iteration of a brand new software/hardware platform for one guy, no matter how good he is. We've seen both Stern and JJP take severe beatings over nothing more or less than software in the past year or two, so they should start treating it with the attention and priority it deserves. 

For those complaining about WOZ, I honestly don't know what you guys expected... Even Stern with it's years worth of experience, standardized hardware platform with base software already developed, manufacturing all tuned up, and teams helping each other out, it still takes them a FULL YEAR to design and ship a pin.  In retrospect we should have all realized Jack would have taken AT LEAST 2 years to get that first pin out if everything went as expected.  If he ships by mid year, I personally think he's done a fantastic job.
WTB: Defender, Embryon

Tbone1

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 11:31:21 PM »
For those complaining about WOZ, I honestly don't know what you guys expected...

I think people expected what Jack promised... which was quite a bit. He also promised to over deliver at that.

As with most things in life it sucks when your mouth writes checks your skills cant cash.  :P 

Offline murfe88

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 07:51:21 AM »

For those complaining about WOZ, I honestly don't know what you guys expected...

I expected not to be lied to  ,  I expected to receive my game when I was told I would ,I expected not to miss five or six production dates just so he can keep selling more games and collecting more money ,  I expected that when I handed over my money I was being told the whole story and not just getting some BS sales pitch to get my money. Like TBONE said I expect what Jack promised which is far from what has happen .

And I certainly didn’t expect him to ask for money on a second game when he hasn't delivered the first game yet.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:03:12 AM by murfe88 »
Toy Story LE , TBL , AIQ premium , TMNT pro , EHOH , Godzilla pro , Vpin , GT2022 pedestal , Arcade Collections pedestal , PacMan Galaga reunion .

Offline Baiter

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 11:01:18 PM »
I can see where people are upset, he promised dates, he missed them.  Personally I'd be more upset about the fact that he requires 100% payment months before shipping.  I'm sure selling the second game was a licensing agreement he had to meet, so it's more likely he'll make that date, as the platform will be done, but again, as much as I might like to get TH, there's no way I'd agree to giving him more than 50% down payment until shipping time.  That 50% is better for both sides, and would have netted much less buyer complaints.

How do the little guys work for Predator, Magic Girl, BHZA, etc?  The production runs there are so limited, they're more likely to become an instant collectible so paying 100% months in advance is worth it to some.  Tough business, but lets just consider this much better than where we were in 2008 when all the talk was whether the last pinball manufacturer would shut its doors as a result of The Great Recession.
WTB: Defender, Embryon

Offline tktlwyr

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • Lord of the Slings
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 01:21:51 AM »
Just played it. All I can say is that I can't wait for Steve Ritchie's next game.

BTW, the rumor that Ritchie's next game is NOT with Lyman is false. Steve told me it is, in fact, with Lyman.
David Paz
AFMrSE, Eight Ball, Flash Gordon, FFPre, GZPre, Hot Tip, IMDNLE, IM, Joker Poker, Paragon, Pulp Fiction: Bad Mother Flipper Edition, Rush LE, WW and Wild Card

Offline snaroff

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 06:08:12 AM »
Just played it. All I can say is that I can't wait for Steve Ritchie's next game.

BTW, the rumor that Ritchie's next game is NOT with Lyman is false. Steve told me it is, in fact, with Lyman.

I just bailed. JJP will refund my money on Monday.

Still hope to own a JJP product one day...will be interested to see Hobbit a couple years from now.

snaroff

Offline Mike D

• Level 6: Knight Industries
    • http://www.pinballmiked.com
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 06:12:31 AM »

That's exactly how I felt after playing WOZ at SPF.  It's pretty, but just didn't do anything for me.

Offline pinballcorpse

• Join the Dark Side: Play Tournament Pinball
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 09:55:45 AM »
I just bailed. JJP will refund my money on Monday.

snaroff

Wow.  I, and am sure many others, would not have expected this.

I am curious what made you decide to walk away?  I am not trying to stir the pot, and if you don't want to discuss it, that is fine.  But without question, you were clearly a solid and vocal supporter of the JJP/WOZ project from its inception when most people would naturally be skeptical. The game clearly exists now and is on the cusp of release albeit the code needs work (honestly, no shock there).

And now you are out?

I have seen the game and played exactly one ball, but that meant nothing. I have no interest in this game thematically, but I have faith the game will eventually be delivered and the code will be fine.
“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

Offline k7

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 09:59:09 AM »
i'm a buyer at 4 grand! :)

i suck at pinball, so code doesn't matter to me. i just want to beat the wizard...with a stick.
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline pinballcorpse

• Join the Dark Side: Play Tournament Pinball
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 10:03:22 AM »
That's exactly how I felt after playing WOZ at SPF.  It's pretty, but just didn't do anything for me.

It did not do anything for me when announced. 

I played one ball at SPF.  It looked great.

Playing one ball is not enough to form an objective gameplay opinion, but I was already biased since I don't like the theme.  It could be a great game though after all is said and done.
“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

Offline tktlwyr

• Lord of the Slings
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2013, 10:16:45 AM »
The game is, without a doubt, gorgeous. The one I played already had the Ruby slipper fall off of the flipper bat. LOL. The LED lighting, while bright and colorful, was horrible. Too much!  Must have been an earlier code because the machine didn't do much.  The gameplay was SLOWWWWW!  The playfield seemed too crowded with most of it covered by the two mini playfields and blocked by the trees on the pop bumpers leaving you mainly looking at two side by side shots right up the middle.  I'm sure it will continue to be praised as the second coming of Christ in pinball form, but if I would have plonked the money down on this, I'd be asking for a refund now myself.

As my wife use to say, " Pretty is as pretty does", and this game just doesn't do it for me.

David Paz
AFMrSE, Eight Ball, Flash Gordon, FFPre, GZPre, Hot Tip, IMDNLE, IM, Joker Poker, Paragon, Pulp Fiction: Bad Mother Flipper Edition, Rush LE, WW and Wild Card

Offline Mike D

• Level 6: Knight Industries
    • http://www.pinballmiked.com
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2013, 10:50:18 AM »
I'd rather have another TZ as that is what I think WOZ most emulates.  At least I have a nice pf for one ;)

Offline snaroff

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 11:07:02 AM »
Wow.  I, and am sure many others, would not have expected this.

I am curious what made you decide to walk away?  I am not trying to stir the pot, and if you don't want to discuss it, that is fine.  But without question, you were clearly a solid and vocal supporter of the JJP/WOZ project from its inception when most people would naturally be skeptical. The game clearly exists now and is on the cusp of release albeit the code needs work (honestly, no shock there).

And now you are out?

I have seen the game and played exactly one ball, but that meant nothing. I have no interest in this game thematically, but I have faith the game will eventually be delivered and the code will be fine.

Top 3 reasons why I am bailing:

#1: Lack of transparency. Both the WOZ forum and occasional updates have been a joke for 6 months now.
#2: Lack of trust. The recent JJP decision to apparently ship with half-baked software. Shipping "complete" software was rallying cry from day one. If JJP "bailed" on this, then who knows what else they are capable of bailing on in the future.
#3: Time. When JJP didn't deliver this past holiday season, I made a decision to seriously re-evaluate my purchase if it didn't arrive by my birthday (today).

In addition, these 2 issues also factored in:

#1: The build quality, art, and features look first rate. Everything else looks less than great (confirmed by collectors/players I respect).
#2: The Hobbit is more interesting to me. Will consider this JJP title in the future.

snaroff

Offline micksimmonds

• FREEPLAY FLORIDA 2016 - Bigger, Better ;-)
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 11:57:12 AM »
Well sitting down at the JJP seminar at TPF waiting to hear him speak only to be informed he is at home in NY as to tired from his visit to Italy, so getting a Skype from him instead
FREEPLAY FLORIDA
Check out http://www.freeplayflorida.com and on facebook - http://www.facebook.com/freeplayflorida

Offline r4o2m0e

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2013, 04:28:19 PM »
Led's look good from 40 feet away.. But when you are playing pinball, LED's are horrible.. Not sure why people go haywire with LED's.. They just don't loook right in the machine to me..  I take them all out when i get games with them... waste of money..

The game is, without a doubt, gorgeous. The one I played already had the Ruby slipper fall off of the flipper bat. LOL. The LED lighting, while bright and colorful, was horrible. Too much!  Must have been an earlier code because the machine didn't do much.  The gameplay was SLOWWWWW!  The playfield seemed too crowded with most of it covered by the two mini playfields and blocked by the trees on the pop bumpers leaving you mainly looking at two side by side shots right up the middle.  I'm sure it will continue to be praised as the second coming of Christ in pinball form, but if I would have plonked the money down on this, I'd be asking for a refund now myself.

As my wife use to say, " Pretty is as pretty does", and this game just doesn't do it for me.
Pins - Tri zone

Slots - Don Don king skill stop

(941)264-7158 - Home phone