Author Topic: I need a good parts tumbler polisher  (Read 1186 times)

Offline wildwest3163

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
I need a good parts tumbler polisher
« on: June 23, 2012, 04:45:16 PM »
I need a good tumbler/polisher or whatever they call them, to put my metal posts, rails, ect in to clean up. What does everyone use?
T2, DM, JP, BSD, ES, SMB, Taxi, Frankenstien, SI, Gorgar, Harlem, Gladiators
Current Projects: Playboy, Xenon, Pinbot, High Speed

Offline DarrenF

• Level 5: Power User!
Re: I need a good parts tumbler polisher
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 04:51:07 PM »
Berry Mfg, Model 400 here.
Black Hole, Haunted House, Asteroids, Battlezone, Ikari Warriors, Out Run, Lethal Enforcers
WTB:  Arkanoid cocktail

Offline wildwest3163

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 05:08:58 PM »
Berry Mfg, Model 400 here.
Thats a good looking machine, it does a good job? What type of medium would be best for rusted posts or plastic posts?
T2, DM, JP, BSD, ES, SMB, Taxi, Frankenstien, SI, Gorgar, Harlem, Gladiators
Current Projects: Playboy, Xenon, Pinbot, High Speed

Offline Weeze

• Level 10: Timelord
  • "Stay away from the French and sick people"
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 05:11:45 PM »
harbor freight has one ive used quite a bit with good results, crsuhed walnuts and maybe a little paste car wax thrown in.
Current Pins and Stuff: Hurdy Gurdy, Flipper Pool, Mini Pool, Kings & Queens, North Star, Ice Revue, King of Diamonds,  Flipper Clown, Bow & Arrow, Old Chicago, and the one and only, past owners include Wayne Newton, Pia Zadora and half the Village ,the totally awesome and historic, "CANDY APPLE" RED Astro..    
  Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.
Past Pins: way too many to list. plus a couple of vids, and  assorted other stuff.
  For Trade: Hawknole's Dog

Offline EDC

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 06:13:31 PM »
I have the harbor freight one, and think I'll prolly just buy new Hardware next time.  Nice to have but for the the time I had to run it is probably the same cost media and electricity.  Half of what I tumbled I just threw away.
Pins : TRON LE, IM, AVATARLE, ACDC Pro, RBION, STERN PB, STTNG , TS, RG, RBG, W?D, MA, WW, Secret Service, ARENA, Fire! (#2)
For Sale : Arcade monitors, "Gold"eneye, Diner, RBG
Wanted: BBH, Robowar, EBD

Offline Weeze

• Level 10: Timelord
  • "Stay away from the French and sick people"
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 09:16:59 PM »
really? well, i dont know what to say. its worked really well on any metal ive tumbled and shined up a set of those old gottleib wedge head nickle plated posts like new. ive had mixed results on plastic posts but i think thats becaused some of them over time are actually stained. i have no doubt there are better polishers out there on the market but i dont understand how one could be a whole lot better then another since they all work the exact same way. now i can see how what you  use for a medium would get different results but hey, either it tumbles the parts or it doesnt.  maybe im missing something here?
Current Pins and Stuff: Hurdy Gurdy, Flipper Pool, Mini Pool, Kings & Queens, North Star, Ice Revue, King of Diamonds,  Flipper Clown, Bow & Arrow, Old Chicago, and the one and only, past owners include Wayne Newton, Pia Zadora and half the Village ,the totally awesome and historic, "CANDY APPLE" RED Astro..    
  Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.
Past Pins: way too many to list. plus a couple of vids, and  assorted other stuff.
  For Trade: Hawknole's Dog

Offline DarrenF

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 02:14:41 AM »
Thats a good looking machine, it does a good job? What type of medium would be best for rusted posts or plastic posts?

I'm happy with it.  I use walnut shell media, with some polish.

I only tumble metal parts.  Plastic parts get a toothbrush with bristles cut short then a heated ultrasonic cleaner.

And I don't really use the tumbler for anything other than very light surface rust removal.  It's for POLISHING parts that are already rust-free and clean.  To remove rust, I use EvapoRust (avail at Harbor Freight).  If it's really heavy, a wire wheel on the bench grinder.
Black Hole, Haunted House, Asteroids, Battlezone, Ikari Warriors, Out Run, Lethal Enforcers

Offline MikeMaynard21

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 12:11:59 PM »
I have a Sinclair tumbler. I've never used polish with the walnut because I just thought it would gunk up the media and not work as well. I'll have to give it a try.
Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle, Monster Bash LE, Rob Zombie Spookshow LE,The Addams Family, Scared Stiff, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Creature From The Black Lagoon, The Walking Dead (sold),Tales From The Crypt (sold) Twister (sold), Star Trek Next Gen (sold), Black Rose (traded), Riverboat Gambler (sold) X-Files (sold), F-14 Tomcat (sold), Gorgar (traded), Funhouse (traded)

Offline DarrenF

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 03:24:26 PM »
The walnut shell media I got came pre-treated with the polish.  I think it was marketed for polishing brass casings for people that reload ammo.

Offline mcluvin

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 04:21:23 PM »
I'm not the voice of experience on tumbling media, but a tip I picked up while researching tumbling was that some reptile bedding at pet stores is actually crushed walnut shells.  I bought some a couple months ago for ~$12 which was about half the price of any walnut shell tumbling media I had seen. 

Chris