Author Topic: Will there be a Game Warp 2014?  (Read 4717 times)

Offline HighProtein

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • Addicted to Progress
    • 904 Pinball Zine
Will there be a Game Warp 2014?
« on: January 17, 2014, 10:16:24 AM »
What's the story?
Will there be?
5star:SMB/Rastan
Bmac:CruisinW
DicksOp:PacCocktail,MVC,AREA51,CENTIPEDE,BAGS&TROG
DicksNocatee:TMNT
DicksYulee:NoFear,Contra&MK2
Keg:Ven,JP,DP,GZ,SW,TMNT,Foo,19xx,CrazyTaxi,Tekken5,SF2,SMB,MVC2,NBAjam,PopNmusic,RevX,Tetris&UMK3 / JusticePub:BigHouse,Gladiators,Mario,SF2,SF2NC,Tekken5,Pac,Simpsons&SMB / JRseafood: Multicade&SMB / Players1:STH,TMNT,WCS&TMNT / Players2:DP / Players3:NF / Sneaker:Klax,SS / Soupa:MVC / S.O.P.:Galaga,Pac,&SW / SunRayCinema:Genesis,Deathstalker&SMB
VGR:Area51,CrazyTaxi,H.O.D.SFA3,SF2&WildRiders /
Walrus:PAC,SMB&TT

Offline TheBatman

• Batman
  • Level 10: Timelord
  • (secret identity Jsgtrman, don't tell anyone!)
Re: Will there be a Game Warp 2014?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 01:32:05 AM »
I believe it's evolving into the Free Play Florida show... which will combine the Gamewarp AND SPF shows into one gigantic arcade fest!  I'm sure one of the organizers can chime in with more details, I believe it's been announced somewhere in a thread.

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 02:01:42 AM »
Jack & Danielle run GameWarp, When someone asked at Jeff's last year about GameWarp, It was stated GameWarp was Jack & Danielle's Show, and we hope there will be a GameWarp 4, and we will be happy to help out, and contribute games if required.

But, in a public statement on my facebook, I will not assist/volunteer in the capacity that I have done in prior years. ( Myself, Mick, and Spiney all made the same similar statements, and we all had decided we were done doing shows )

A Short time after making such statements, Leon & Donny asked me if I would be interested in Helping more with SPF, I was reluctant at first  (only becuase i was done doing shows), but after a long discussion, I decided to help morph SPF into FPF to make it the largest show possible in the southeast USA.

I have not been involved in any discussions or decisions regarding any future GameWarp shows, As I was only a volunteer.

I personally hope for a bright and successful future for GameWarp, and will support any decisions made by Jack & Danielle.

Myself and Mick both talked to Jack about our intentions, and what he felt about it and what he was going to do, he said he would support us, and he would need to discuss GameWarp with Danielle.

I am proud of what GameWarp has become and to have the GameWarp Bumper Sticker on the rear of my ride.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 08:00:03 AM by Hamster »
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline TheBatman

• Batman
  • (secret identity Jsgtrman, don't tell anyone!)
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 02:19:00 AM »
Oops, my bad...I knew I read somewhere that something was morphing into FPF, and thought it was both shows instead of just SPF.  I've enjoyed both shows in the past, so hopefully can keep them both if it works out and it makes sense.

Offline micksimmonds

• FREEPLAY FLORIDA 2016 - Bigger, Better ;-)
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 06:22:31 PM »
Quote from the GW FB Page :

While we have truly enjoyed sharing our love of gaming with all of our fans - Game Warp will be on hiatus for 2014. Thank you for your support and we look forward to seeing again soon!

I am very proud of Gamewarp, and everything that it became, along with Florida shows all round, Florida has become a great place for the hobby, the community and shows, the shows cover the entire state, offers something for everyone, and only is getting better, if there was one in 2015 then permitting my real life events, then I certainly would be attending, supporting the same way I do with all the other shows. 
FREEPLAY FLORIDA
Check out http://www.freeplayflorida.com and on facebook - http://www.facebook.com/freeplayflorida

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 02:00:41 AM »
 Yeah sadly GameWarp is going on Hiatus.

Basically its just gotten too big. It's really a full time job running these shows however.. The workload on GameWarp 3 was massive as anyone involved can attest. Now that I'm working 2 jobs and Danielle has gone back to school (on top of her full time job) there simply isn't enough hours in the day. Throw in the fact that topping GW3 would be an even bigger time commitment and the equation just becomes impossible.. at least to do it with the same level of quality (and nobody wants a lame or depreciated show, not after the bar has been set).

I'm happy to have been a part of the 3 shows.. I think they turned out really well. You never know what the future may bring so won't say never but at least for 2014 GameWarp is on hiatus.

Now that there are so many other shows springing up (which is great) including the new SPF that is now adding arcade and console games there's less need for GameWarp anyway as I think we got the arcade shows in Florida covered -- which is an amazing feat when you consider there was nada going on before Marcel brought Ape back just a few years ago.

Thanks again to everyone that helped make GameWarp the show it was 3 years in a row.. I look forward to seeing everyone at the next Florida show!

Offline ShellyCrash

• Level 1: Arrival
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 11:19:23 AM »
Sad to hear there won't be a Game Warp this year.  :'(

Personally my favorite of the shows has been SPF 2012, I really liked the atmosphere, everyone for the most part was really laid back, and everyone seemed very respectful of the games. It felt like a visit to the Pinball Hall of Fame.

Maybe its a lightning in a bottle thing and as the shows grow you have to sacrifice that aspect, but I really look forward to FPF and checking everything out. I mean, you had me at the Showbiz Pizza logo ;)

Speaking of, has anyone thought to reach out to Aaron Fechter? He might be able to add an additional nostalgia element, even if only in a museum capacity- maybe see if he might be interested in bringing some items down and setting them up in a side space and having a little display where people could look at and relive some of those characters from our childhood?

Just some food for thought.

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 11:58:02 AM »
I get the feeling Aaron doesn't really like what made him what he is known for, he is more into "green gas" food explosions these days.
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline ShellyCrash

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 12:27:03 PM »
I get the feeling Aaron doesn't really like what made him what he is known for, he is more into "green gas" food explosions these days.

I met him by chance last year after Penn and Teller and he was still all about Rock-A-Fire, he was really happy about it at the time because CeeLo was going to use some of his characters for his Vegas show. He invited us to come by and hang out in his warehouse. He gave me his # but I lost it. He said he was working on something else really exciting, I guess that was the gas ;) 

I'm really not sure how he would respond or what he might want in return of being invited to participate, but I can say for sure that he really loves what made him famous and he does seem to genuinely really love meeting Rock-A-Fire / Showbiz fans. I think people would really love to see his stuff too- whatever might be left of it anyway.

I'm just throwing it out there cause it could be a cool synergy. Kind of like how there's a guy that has a "Jaws" collection he displays @ fan expos / comic cons and charges people something like $5 or $10 to take a picture with the shark. There are also a few different exhibits that have done the Spooky Empire shows in Orlando, I don't know what the deal is on the back end with the show, but since they are free for people to enter and take pics if I had to guess it might just the $$ they make on merch. If he whipped up a batch of Rock-A-Fire shirts people would probably buy 'em. I would.

Actually I'd even design 'em and print 'em to help you guys out if anything comes of it. Just putting it out there.

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 12:31:14 PM »
We tried getting a group of "Villagers" to go there, but he wanted $$ to do a walk thru..

I am not sure how safe the building is after the explosion.

Offline ShellyCrash

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 12:56:44 PM »
We tried getting a group of "Villagers" to go there, but he wanted $$ to do a walk thru..

I am not sure how safe the building is after the explosion.

Yeah, he might have wanted some cash from us as well. I don't really know the guy, he might be one of those people that invites a group out to dinner and then leaves you with the bill ;) He seemed genuine though and a nice enough guy, but you don't really know someone you've only met once.

I also don't know if the invitation would still be open after the explosion. This was months before. Made me really sad to read about that, but in a way I gotta give the guy kudos for trying new things  :D