Author Topic: Arcades making a comeback  (Read 5202 times)

Offline pinballcorpse

• Level 10: Timelord
  • Join the Dark Side: Play Tournament Pinball
Re: Arcades making a comeback
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 11:10:34 AM »

I'm also going to be scoping out other parts of LA to potentially open a more traditional arcade (no alcohol…only throwback DEW and Coke:-)

snaroff

Hold on.  You are thinking of opening an arcade in LA?

Wow!

Any more to this story?
“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

Offline RussG

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 12:27:49 PM »
Yes and is this because your son is out there for music school?

Offline snaroff

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 02:06:51 PM »
Hold on.  You are thinking of opening an arcade in LA?

Wow!

Any more to this story?

Not really. Last time I was in LA (last November) and talked about the idea with Molly, she told me "82" was in the works and would likely be more successful than "Pins and Needles" (her warehouse style arcade in a sketchy part of LA).

I have my eye on a couple "hipster" areas with a fair amount of foot traffic. If the cost of entry isn't too crazy and gang activity is low, I'd definitely consider opening a place more in the spirit of "Modern Pinball" in NYC (pay per hour, day, etc.). Also double as a retail outlet where people can buy machines after trying them (most applicable to the newer Stern titles).

I'm at a point were I'm really happy with my collection…enjoy playing, tweaking, but don't really anticipate buying many more (obvious space limitations). Opening a public place for people to enjoy my collection would be a great new outlet for me. I think a bar environment would be tougher on the machines than a more low key, family friendly place. More importantly, I don't see myself owning a bar (with all the cost, insurance, and stuff that goes with the territory).

I'm not all that confident the "stars will align" on this project, but I'm nevertheless researching it. Never hurts to learn/look.

snaroff

Offline snaroff

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 02:12:52 PM »
Yes and is this because your son is out there for music school?

He is. That's another reason I'm out flying out…he's playing @ Disney Hall. Also seeing Chad Smith from the Red Hot Chili Peppers play with some hard/electric jazz/funk folks I love (in a really small/intimate club). Here's a video of the band/club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WELJWjLysag

snaroff

Offline flecom

• Level 6: Knight Industries
    • flecom.net
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 03:24:00 AM »
Opening a public place for people to enjoy my collection would be a great new outlet for me.

it's a lot of work and maintenance just to keep the machines running but it's incredibly satisfying getting to share pins with others :)
My spoon is too big!

Pins: PCMCIA, USB, S/PDIF, DVI, VGA, ASDF, WASD, SIP, TCP, IMAP, LIFO, TWAIN, UART, LOL, WUT?
Vids: A perfboard full of 555s

Offline Big Al

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 10:44:56 PM »
it's a lot of work and maintenance just to keep the machines running but it's incredibly satisfying getting to share pins with others :)

On topic of making this happen.

Yes. Lots of work & maintenance but if you have the right tech/arcade manager they will run efficiently forever. 

I ran a full service route for a few years and ran 90's era Bally Williams titles and classic vids.  They ran 11am to 3am *everyday* and in a bar enviornment. No problems.

Nobody wants to pay a tech or mgr anymore.  So, you have inexperienced people plugging & chugging expensive parts on machines with endless parts.  No bueno.

Hire a good tech and manager that can (sorry about caps)REPAIR anything.

Best of luck n your research Steve.

Happy gaming,
Big Al