Author Topic: Colecovison flashback  (Read 3011 times)

Offline RussG

• Level 9: Grid Champion
Re: Colecovison flashback
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 11:42:01 AM »
Got both Colecovision Flashback and Intellivision Flashback today.

I am going to hook them up later and try them but I'd say this is a steal for the price of you can get them for $30-$35 using one of the above deals.

Colecovision has 60 games but some of the arcade ones included are:
Cosmic Avenger
Frenzy
Jungle Hunt
Omega Race
Pepper II
Space Panic
Space Fury
Venture
Zaxxon

Intellivision looks like it has most of their great games too.

Offline PinPup

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 12:00:30 PM »
If any one wants it family dollar has them on sale till Sunday i believe for  $30
Sale is still on, I snapped one up for 26 dollars and change, clerk also applied 5 buck coupon without me asking. Nice deal on old memories, will post later how well it holds up to the original.
Games Owned: Fish Tales,, Countdown, Joker Poker (YES!), DWHO, EATPM, GRAND LIZARD, 60 Multicade
Past Games Owned: Gilligan's Island,Stock Car EM, Cherry Bell, Black Pyramid, Jokerz!, Hang Glider, Capt. Fantastic, Nip-It, Pro Pool, Dimension, Bally Supreme (wood rail) Genco Spitfire (wood rail). Arcade: Defender, Robbie Roto. (Got carried away at an auction on Roto, sheesh!) WTB: Alien Poker, Paragon, Surfin' Safari, Eight Ball Delux.

Offline Harmony

• Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 09:55:53 PM »
Dollar General had the coleco on sale today for $20   just a FYI
Guns n' Roses

Offline RussG

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 10:56:54 PM »
That's a freaking great deal

Offline Marshall

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • LittleShopOfGames.com
    • Little Shop of Games | 24 Hour Arcade
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 12:08:26 AM »
Just ordered online for $20 with NO TAX and free shipping on orders of $40. Picked up a pair and will make someone happy with a New Year's Surprise!  8) 8) 8)

Colecovision for $20 (price good until 12/24)
http://www.dollargeneral.com/product/index.jsp?productId=43753776
Little Shop Of Games / LSOG | Florida’s Pinball Showroom and Parts Storefront and Authorized Stern, Jersey Jack and Chicago Gaming Company Distributors. We Buy, Sell, RENT and Trade New and Used Pinball Machines and ship Parts and Games Worldwide!

LittleShopOfGames.com | 24HourArcade.com
24408 State Road 54, Lutz, FL 33559
SHOP: 813-944-4900 | Cell: 813-951-1602 | MON - FRI 11-7

Offline Harmony

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2014, 05:51:54 AM »
If you can find the intelivision its also 20
Guns n' Roses

Offline FUNWIZ

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2014, 05:30:47 PM »
Wow, what a deal.  Can't believe the store still has these sitting on the shelves just a few hours before they close at 8.  Grab them while supplies lasts.  Lol.
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2014, 10:28:50 PM »
well glad i was able to help , wanted to get the intellivision one too but after getting my wifes xmas gift and gas i was tapped out , hope to find the intellivision one after this weekend for the same price
Guns n' Roses

Offline schilm

• Level 1: Arrival
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 06:00:18 PM »
FYI, another option is to pick up an old Colecovison on Ebay (50-60 bucks if you are patient)

and then get the Atarimax Colecovision Ultimate SD here: http://www.atarimax.com/colecosd/documentation/index.html

Definitely more expensive (multicart is about $125, plus whatever you can get the system for), but I think it is worth it to play on the original hardware instead of the cheap-ish knock off.

I've heard about an Intellivision multicart called LTOFlash (I think), but I haven't found it available anywhere yet.
Vids: Centipede, Asteroids, Atari Football (2 player), Defender, Joust, Ms. Pac Man (60 in 1), Gorf, Gyruss, Arkanoid, Phoenix, Bud Tapper, DK 3 in 1, Crystal Castles (cocktail), Frogger (project)

Pins: Champion Pub

Offline TronJeremy

• Level 3: Hologram
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 08:54:25 PM »
My dad sold off my Colecovision at a garage sale around 1987. I was so angry. He thought it was junk, and had no idea it would be retro-cool decades later. He recently apologized for it, haha. I had: Venture, Smurfs, DK, Ladybug, Carnival and a few others I can't remember. I'll have to check this new CV contraption out...

Offline RussG

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 10:45:02 PM »
My dad sold off my Colecovision at a garage sale around 1987. I was so angry. He thought it was junk, and had no idea it would be retro-cool decades later. He recently apologized for it, haha. I had: Venture, Smurfs, DK, Ladybug, Carnival and a few others I can't remember. I'll have to check this new CV contraption out...

Man that really sucks!  :/
Mine went out in the mid eighties and I finally bought an entirely new system and games from someone.
Venture was incredible when it came out.  What a great reproduction.
All the games you mentioned were game changers for the consoles after Colecovision came out with them.

Offline TronJeremy

• Level 3: Hologram
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 09:32:04 AM »
It was a great console for its time, even though that keypad controller was a major clusterfuck, haha. Typical 80's's un-ergonomical design :) I also remember Zaxxon was one of my games. Man, that was hi-tech back then. Was it also true that it was the first game console to play music of some sort? I think I remember everything before it played only bleeps and bloops.

Offline Baiter

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 05:10:13 PM »
Was it also true that it was the first game console to play music of some sort? I think I remember everything before it played only bleeps and bloops.

I remember being blown away at the background music of Intellivision's Snafu in the store back in the day.  Intellivision predated Colecovision by 3 years with music, so I figured Colecovision would have greatly improved upon the music but it doesn't appear so... see for yourself:

http://youtu.be/iF-mRp-VXr8

http://youtu.be/zv9uxfoVEbQ
WTB: Defender, Embryon

Offline TheBatman

• Batman
  • (secret identity Jsgtrman, don't tell anyone!)
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2015, 05:32:27 AM »
OK, so several weeks back while on a getaway out of town, I was bored and saw these flashback consoles you guys were talking about in WalMart, so I picked up the Colecovision one to try it out.  They also had the Atari FB5, but I still have my original console, as well as the Atari FB 4, so didn't really need that one...and the Intellivision one...well, looking at the games on there, that one just looked like it sucked.  I didn't see much of anything other than sports related themed games that didn't look like it was going to entertain me,

So believe it or not, this you might find interesting....I never played the Colecovision console when growing up.  I'm definitely an Atari child, I guess we never cared about getting anything else.  I recall my friend having the Colecovision, but I never was attracted to it for whatever reason, perhaps it was the fuckomatic control doohickey with the calculator pad on it...math always scared me, so that probably explains why I stayed away from it.  Seriously though, I STILL can't figure out why they needed all those calculator laid out buttons.

Anyway, so now you get a totally "fresh" viewpoint from a first time "newbie" to give a kinda unbiased opinion on it i guess.  With all the games it offered, I figured there has to be some cool "new" games to me I could find, and if nothing else, it said on the box "plays exactly like the real arcade games" (or something to that nature) about Frenzy, Omega Race, and several others....so at least THAT would probably be worth it.  So....well, NO... I played those, and they totally sucked.  Nothing at all close to the real arcade quality or graphics.  However, I guess in 1980's terms, it was probably OK, and considering most Atari games were dots and square dots as your men, this was probably OK in retrospect.  The first impressions though....not so great.  I tried out almost all of the games over several nights,  Pepper II is OK, but hard as hell to control with the "clusterfuck" joystick thing, i think another I like is Amazon Hunt...Blackjack is fine for basic entertainment.... but WTF, no Donkey Kong???  I thought that was definitely on these original consoles back in the day, why the hell wouldn't they include their most popular game(s) here, plus the other 2 sequels? 

Anyway, the consoles at Walmart were $40, so not really worth it for that price imo.  For $20, yeah I'd go ahead and grab one, i'll search for Ebay, and might even get the Atari FB5 also if it's cheap enough since it has 92 self contained games...it's just nice to have a whole collection built in.  Bottom line, these are fine and true to form, they provide the "flashback" nostalgia experience.  However, as spoiled as we are today, they don't come anywhere close to even a bad version of Mame that most or all of us have, and sure as hell don't compare to the real arcade games if you happen to have them.  For an afternoon of nostalgia, if you can get one cheap, it's probably fine, but don't see most of us or even (especially) kids these days playing it on a regular basis (they have ZERO nostalgia for it, so probably no interest in this stuff at ALL), especially compared to all the newfangled games and high def stuff out there now.