Author Topic: Craigs Scam?  (Read 926 times)

Offline prefontaine79

• Level 5: Power User!
  • twitch.tv/pinballconspiracy
    • Pinball Conspiracy
Craigs Scam?
« on: December 16, 2014, 08:04:43 PM »
So, upon listing a few games on craigs i get immediate interest and after a few texts back and forth (always from some far away area code) the buyer says check is in the mail
and shippers would be making arrangements to pick up the game...a daay goes by and i get another txt stating how he included shipping costs in my chk aand requests that i let chk clear thru my bank and keep an extra 50-100 dollars and give the cash remaining to the shippers
i then saay nope, cant have that much cash going thru my account (IRS paranoid) and that i will be shredding said check and then ba bye!
what is the deal?
its bad enough i gave my personal address out and the overnighted check thaat comes is for like 4x what game is worth
just weirds me out
This happen to anyone else?
god bless the village! For real
LZPro
MandoPro

Offline prefontaine79

• Pinball Conspiracy
Re: Craigs Scam?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 08:07:17 PM »
This has happened twice
LZPro
MandoPro

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 08:15:52 PM »
This is one of the oldest CL scams on the book.

If anyone wants to buy the game with a check off CL its probably a scam.

If anyone from out of the country wants to buy your game off CL its probably a scam.

If its CL its cash and carry or its a scam.

Offline k7

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 09:22:27 PM »
lol. these are all mine. :P

WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline Pchdetc

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 09:56:12 PM »
LoL... with the names on the checks alone would be an indicator of a scam.  :o

Offline busa32927

• Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 09:59:02 PM »
those are the best fake names ever.  how about a check made out to mrs. sharon peters  lol
vids:   246/256 (tekken 5 and soul calibur),  robotron, joust w/jrok, centipede

pins:  Star Trek premmy, ACDC prem, SW(stern) prem,  BM66 prem, GnR LE, jjp potc le, Woz, The Hobbit,  JP(stern), Godzilla premmy,  AIQ (prem), EHoH. LoTR, CCr, F-14

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook, Spiderman, GoT, Metallica, IMdn, Munsters, Grand Lizard, WhirlWind, BKSOR, Alice Cooper, RZ, BSD, Firepower, STTNG, TMNT prem, TWD, Gilligan

Offline k7

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 11:17:15 PM »
to clarify, those are the names I give "scammers" to cut the checks out to me in. I've been reverse phishing these f***sticks for over 10 years. :P

it's such an old trick, but they keep doing it, because people keep sending them free money. If I lived overseas, I'd be stupid rich from the simple mistakes people make every minute. 1 of these scammers got me back in 1998, when i "sold" a Porsche. got a check with a b.s. story, talked to the bank manager, told her I suspected the check was fake, deposited it with some cash to handle any "bounced" fees, but a month later, I got blacklisted from Wachovia. really screwed me over for about 6 months.

you would be surprised how many people deposit the check, then that victim uses western union to send $1000s of dollars overseas (for the shipper), and never see their money again. then a month later, bam! the bank nails them for cashing a fake check on their account.

edited to add: no one investigates these. no one. I tracked one down to a bank account based in las vegas, I got the account name, owner, phone numbers, SS numbers, addresses, and all that, but no one would investigate it. so it will go on forever.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 11:30:58 PM by k7 »

Offline prefontaine79

• Pinball Conspiracy
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 04:44:59 PM »
Crazy
Glad i never fell for it
just worried now about personal info i gave out..
name/address
Wasnt apparent something was up til i got the check for way over my asking price
dumb dumb dumb
LZPro
MandoPro

Offline k7

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 05:41:43 PM »
Crazy
Glad i never fell for it
just worried now about personal info i gave out..
name/address
Wasnt apparent something was up til i got the check for way over my asking price
dumb dumb dumb

they do nothing with any of the info once you have the check. scammer A gets you to bite. once you seem interested and give an address, they pass that off to scammer B, who processes a fake or stolen check. goes to scammer C for follow up, but they usually drop the ball between B and C. if not, C gets belligerent about paying the shippers, and cries a lot. if they ever showed up to your house, I'd have a lot of dead scammers buried in the back yard. they keep at this whole stupid waste of time, because 100s of dumb people send cash via western union to cover "shipping costs" every month, if not every day.

this scam has been around since 14K modems, so if people fall for it, they have to be dumb or live under a rock. not the selling part. the "Let me send you untraceable money blindly for your Shipper" part.