Author Topic: Awesome Haul at Radio Shack! Check your local stores ASAP!  (Read 6481 times)

Online RussG

• Level 8: Psi Corps
Re: Awesome Haul at Radio Shack! Check your local stores ASAP!
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2015, 05:47:26 PM »
When Radio Shack represented Tandy was the heyday for that franchise. 
I remember cool electronic gadgets and some neat toys especially around Christmas time.
Sad to see it fall so far and become a store that has no identity and reseller of cell phones.   :'(

Offline Don Panetta aka 404

• Level 5: Power User!
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2015, 09:24:03 PM »
According to the girl working the store I went to the "higher ups" are only giving them 24 hours notice in advance. She wasn't sure she'd be working today or tomorrow. They're letting them know the day before based on how much inventory has been bought. No hard close date.

Strange. perhaps some stores are just taking it day by day? Here is a pic of one of two local stores i went to announcing that they were closing in 2 days.

The big store in Brandon is already closed. Went by there today to see if I could get a soldering iron.

Kinda sad, that store had been around since the early 80s. I remember when they used to have Tandy computers there back in the day.

Then again, probably haven't stepped foot in there in years.. and last time I did I think I needed a phone battery.

I picked up a soldering iron. the most expensive radio shack branded one they had. It was still a little pricey but it was the last one they had at the store. Ironically the store at the local mall here was blasting 80's music the entire time i was there.  The very moment i walked into the store, Magic by The Cars started playing. That was the era when Radio Shack was at its peak.  :'(
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:27:31 PM by 404 »

Offline Hamster

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2015, 09:39:04 PM »
When you see THAT sign, that is when you go in for the discounts... they know when that sign goes in the window.

i am still looking for 3 parts cabinets, some will let them go for $50 - just have to wait until the end.
http://www.coinopflorida.com // http://freeplayflorida.com

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - eeguru

current: pins: TSPP, AMH, T3, ST:TNG, ST:LE, RG, RCT, DW. DE:ST vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, (2) Sega Uni, OR2 Driver, OR.
past: pins: TWD, SF2, SW:EP1, RFM, T2, T3, LAH, JMn, DE:SW, Gtb:BH, MET, 24 vids:X

Online number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Call me Nummy
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2015, 09:42:25 PM »
I dont know of any others around me that aren't closed.

Ran to the Westshore mall at lunch and the Radio Shack there is just a shell now. You can faintly see where the sign hung, that's about it.

The mall store at Cirtus Park was closed 2 weeks ago.

I think there might be one on MLK in Brandon I haven't checked, will drive by there tomorrow.

Is this a total closing? If they are keeping some stores open I haven't seen one left yet.

Offline bjones

• Administrator
  • Game Collector
    • Gamestencils.com
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2015, 09:45:27 PM »
the one in clermont is staying open.  I went hoping to scavenge :)
VIDS:  Star Wars, Reactor, Nibbler, Marble Madness, Kaboom, Black Widow, Centipede,  Eagle, Space Ace, Gunfight, Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Mappy, Star Trigon
PINS:IM, GBLE, DW
CURATOR: Atari Hercules

Online RussG

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2015, 09:46:01 PM »
They're not all closing. Restructuring under bankruptcy and downsizing.
Most stores in my area are still open.

Offline Hamster

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2015, 09:46:55 PM »
The Sunset Point/US 19 and Holiday stores are staying open.

This is a "Branch" Reduction Sale... they basically realized they had WAY to many stupid stores...

http://www.coinopflorida.com // http://freeplayflorida.com

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - eeguru

current: pins: TSPP, AMH, T3, ST:TNG, ST:LE, RG, RCT, DW. DE:ST vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, (2) Sega Uni, OR2 Driver, OR.
past: pins: TWD, SF2, SW:EP1, RFM, T2, T3, LAH, JMn, DE:SW, Gtb:BH, MET, 24 vids:X

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2015, 10:01:35 PM »
When you see THAT sign, that is when you go in for the discounts... they know when that sign goes in the window.

i am still looking for 3 parts cabinets, some will let them go for $50 - just have to wait until the end.

Chances are if you see that sign, there is not much left.

I dont know of any others around me that aren't closed.

Ran to the Westshore mall at lunch and the Radio Shack there is just a shell now. You can faintly see where the sign hung, that's about it.

I think there might be one on MLK in Brandon I haven't checked, will drive by there tomorrow.

Is this a total closing? If they are keeping some stores open I haven't seen one left yet.

There are some independently owned stores that are not going to be closing until well after liquidation proceedings as far as i heard. A number of stores have been swiped up by Sprint.

I ended up buying some misc switches, hobby enclosures, cpu heatsink thermal compound, some audio jacks and spent 6 bucks even at one store.

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2015, 01:00:08 PM »
I realized last night that the soldering iron i bought only comes with one tip. This morning i started calling a few stores to see if they had any compatible tips left. They had none. I called up the store at the shops in Kendall and the woman told me they are not closing but she warned me that all of the stores in the area are set to close no later than March 2.

No idea if this is for every store but i figured i would pass that little bit of info along for those that are still looking.

Offline ndz

• Level 3: Hologram
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2015, 05:11:45 PM »
I realized last night that the soldering iron i bought only comes with one tip. This morning i started calling a few stores to see if they had any compatible tips left. They had none. I called up the store at the shops in Kendall and the woman told me they are not closing but she warned me that all of the stores in the area are set to close no later than March 2.

No idea if this is for every store but i figured i would pass that little bit of info along for those that are still looking.

Do you have the 64-053 station?  My RS goodie-bag yesterday included two replacement tips (Chisel and R).

Offline WannaTheater

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2015, 09:35:35 PM »

Are you sure about this?  I called 2 days ago, and they said they were not closing (although they had a new phone number).   Considering it is 5 mins from my house, i should just swing by to see...

I went by the university mall location and bought some hdmi cables, fuses, many electronic components, and a 2 line phone- 18 bucks worth of goodies after the 90% discount.  Hamster, they still had the component drawer cabinets- give them a call.

I also called the N. Dale Mabry store, and they said they were not closing.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:49:15 PM by WannaTheater »
Pins: TAF, TSPP, FT, Goldeneye, T2, NF
Arcade: MAME, Ice Cold Beer, Defender

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2015, 08:01:40 AM »
Do you have the 64-053 station?  My RS goodie-bag yesterday included two replacement tips (Chisel and R).

Yup! All of the RS stores i went to are all dried up.  The few tips available are online only. :-\

Offline WannaTheater

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2015, 02:48:09 PM »
Confirmed- Citrus Park store GONE
Pins: TAF, TSPP, FT, Goldeneye, T2, NF
Arcade: MAME, Ice Cold Beer, Defender

Offline ndz

• Level 3: Hologram
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2015, 09:20:32 PM »
Yup! All of the RS stores i went to are all dried up.  The few tips available are online only. :-\

I have no use for them.  PM me if you want them.

Online HighProtein

• Addicted to Progress
    • 904 Pinball Zine
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2015, 06:24:18 AM »
Totally missed out on the ones that went down in our region so far,
some are still open, hell one closed far before the announcement at Regency mall!
Home:SF2:15th,Jokerz&PacJRcoctail
Shop:SC2/RoadKings/TekkenTag/PrimalRage/XmenVsSF/MK2/Tetris/BigCabinet
Parents:SkyJump/6M$M/EBD/Medusa
AnastatiaLanes:F14,Nascar,NoGoodGofers&NoFear
Beer30:Godzilla,NoFear,GoldenAxeDA&SF215thAnnEdition
DicksNorthside:SST,8MAN
HourGlassPub:BigHouse,DrWho,X-Files,SF2-NC
JRseafood:19xx
PlayersGrill:WCS&Trog
ShantyTown:NeoGeoBubblePuzzle
SneakersJaxBeach:DrDude
SuperHeroHiveComics:JudgeDredd