Author Topic: Stupid Vid Question  (Read 3043 times)

Offline freakandgeek

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
    • The GameRoom Blog
Stupid Vid Question
« on: July 02, 2008, 04:50:02 PM »
I know nothing about video games...I am a pinhead. I have this Popeye cocktail. It works, but there are parts of the picture missing on the monitor -- so it is not very playable. Before folks here told me I needed to replace caps on it. I was wondering if I can just swap out the monitor with a computer VGA monitor? Or are they rarely compatible. I also have some spare CPUs around here...maybe I would be better off maming it out? I guess in that case I just need to buy some controls for it and put in the CPU and monitor? Or there an even easier way to Mame'ify this thing? Are there 48 in 1 boards for Nintendo games?

Sorry I am so clueless.

- Kevin
http://GameRoomBlog.com
================================
Creature, WH20, Meteor, Fireball II, Godzilla, Rush, Foo Fighters

Online ibis

• Show Organizer
  • Level 10: Timelord
Re: Stupid Vid Question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 05:14:05 PM »
Maming a cocktail is unattactive to me personally.  I am sure someone here will add something about the monitor issues.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 05:27:25 PM »
First thing, when you say "Parts of the Picture Are Missing" - does it look like a PCB problem or a Monitor problem? For example I've got a Popeye UR and had some PCB issues that cause parts of the sprites (character graphics) to dissapear. That is totally different from a Monitor problem, which would be more like the monitor is blurry, the colors aren't there properly or everything is skewing to the right for example. Is the Any way you can take a picture of it?

Second, no unfortunately you can't just swap in a VGA monitor. Those old arcade games use Standard or CGA resolution monitors, VGA is High Resolution and wouldn't sync properly. To make matters even worse or more confusing.. Nintendo games use color inversion which adds it's own special funk to the mix.

Before I even thought about messing with the monitor I'd narrow down where the problem is first. It could very well be a PCB issue completely unrelated to your monitor. Also I agree -- I don't think I'd mame it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 05:29:00 PM by number six »

Offline freakandgeek

• The GameRoom Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 05:55:34 PM »
First thing, when you say "Parts of the Picture Are Missing" - does it look like a PCB problem or a Monitor problem? For example I've got a Popeye UR and had some PCB issues that cause parts of the sprites (character graphics) to dissapear. That is totally different from a Monitor problem, which would be more like the monitor is blurry, the colors aren't there properly or everything is skewing to the right for example. Is the Any way you can take a picture of it?

Second, no unfortunately you can't just swap in a VGA monitor. Those old arcade games use Standard or CGA resolution monitors, VGA is High Resolution and wouldn't sync properly. To make matters even worse or more confusing.. Nintendo games use color inversion which adds it's own special funk to the mix.

Before I even thought about messing with the monitor I'd narrow down where the problem is first. It could very well be a PCB issue completely unrelated to your monitor. Also I agree -- I don't think I'd mame it.

So why not Mame it? Too hard? I actually prefer the cocktail for space limitations and I just like them. I figure it would be good for simple one or no button games like Dig Dug, Ms Pac Man, Space Invaders, etc.

Don't think it is the boards. Although I did buy them used. But I saw picts of the game running with the boards installed (of course it could have been a snow-job). Basically there are large portions of the screen missing. Mostly the stuff that is white like the stairs to go up or down from one level to the next. Also there are some things that are just wacky and changing colors. Also when Bluto moves from one side to another he changes color as he walks past a certain area.

Here are some picts...kind of hard to capture though:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/strassers/sets/72157605942411952/

Thanks for the help!

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 06:07:56 PM »
Maming that cabinet would take a lot of effort, you'd have to gut pretty much the entire machine. Also note Popeye is a horizontal game not a vertical one so you couldn't easily drop in a x-n-1 pcb either. Well I think they do make like one horizontal one, but you'd still have to worry about modifying the controls plus the monitor issues.

Anyway as far as i can tell from those pics i'd still suspect the PCB over the monitor. The monitor isn't going to screw up in a way that makes random sprites dissapear, at least no monitor screw up i've ever heard of. When the graphics start going glitchy your problem is likely PCB or Power, not the monitor. Monitor issues are pretty easy to spot. You'll also notice EVERYTHING will be affected the same way, ie the entire screen will be the wrong color, or black, or whatever.. not just pockets of it.. typically.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 06:34:52 PM by number six »

Offline spartyman

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 06:28:33 PM »
Kevin,

I don't think you're that far from me. I have a spare Mario Brothers PCB if you want to borrow it, should have the same pin out so it would be easy to swap out and you would know for sure if it was the PCB.  Or if you want to bring the board over I have a nintendo to jamma adapter and we could plug it into another cab.

I am just south of Jax.

Mike
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 06:32:40 PM by spartyman »
Vids: Millipede, PacMan
Pins: Stern POTC, GOTG Pro
Slots: Wms BlueBird1

Offline bjones

• Administrator
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
  • Game Collector
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 06:44:02 PM »
that issue is PCB for sure.. i'd reseat the roms as a first step.. verify the power supply next.

Offline freakandgeek

• The GameRoom Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
that issue is PCB for sure.. i'd reseat the roms as a first step.. verify the power supply next.

Thanks for the feedback...I will try that. Maybe I just got taken and the boards were not working at promised. That certainly is a possibility.

- Kevin

Offline freakandgeek

• The GameRoom Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 07:39:36 PM »
Kevin,

I don't think you're that far from me. I have a spare Mario Brothers PCB if you want to borrow it, should have the same pin out so it would be easy to swap out and you would know for sure if it was the PCB.  Or if you want to bring the board over I have a nintendo to jamma adapter and we could plug it into another cab.

I am just south of Jax.

Mike

Thanks Mike...I might take you up on that. Much appreciated.

- Kevin

Offline Todd

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 09:25:45 PM »
I just fixed a Mario Bros with the same issues pretty much. Prok is dead on. I had to go a step further and raise the chips out a bit before reseating since just pushing them in didn't work. If just pushing them in doesn't work, raise them and push them in. As others said check the power supply too.

Todd

Offline TheBatman

• Batman
  • (secret identity Jsgtrman, don't tell anyone!)
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 10:10:45 PM »
First Oldpinguy...now Spartyman's avatar...what's with all the squirrels? Run... Attack of the killer squirrels! Now all we need is Bullwinkle.

Offline spartyman

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 07:12:29 AM »
This one better?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 08:24:21 AM by spartyman »

Offline TheBatman

• Batman
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 03:55:48 PM »
LOL!  Yeah, I LIKE that one! :)  Bullwinkle is cool!

Offline TheBatman

• Batman
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 04:13:53 PM »
Oh crap...saw your avatar again on another post in the F/S forums... I REALLY like that avatar now.  This is VERY bad...I've been happy being "retired" from pin buying for almost...what... 2 whole weeks now, everything was going well...even made it through a trip to Ohio and a SHOWROOM full of pins...but now I see the suedo "Rocky & Bullwinkle" avatar...getting hot flashes...R&B pin...sweating...got to get to pinmame FAST...maybe that will calm me down.... this is bad... :)

Offline spartyman

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 06:50:02 PM »
Your welcome to come play my R&B but I don't know that I could give it up just yet.  Although I seem to remember maybe Kevin had a Cyclone?  hmm....Good thing it wasn't Thou shall not covet thy neighbors Pin or I would burn in Hell for sure.

Mike