Author Topic: Wing Commander ][ on SNES?  (Read 804 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
  • Call me Nummy
Wing Commander ][ on SNES?
« on: February 05, 2016, 05:32:06 PM »
http://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Wing_Commander_II:_Vengeance_of_the_Kilrathi_(SNES)

Interesting, never knew this was even in production.

Some of the console ports weren't horrible given the difference in power between the PCs of the time and the consoles.

I actually had to play WC3 on the 3DO since my 486 couldn't run it effectively.

Offline ratsflif

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • All your base
Re: Wing Commander ][ on SNES?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 09:42:23 AM »
Yeah, we were just discussing this on the Facebook group the other day.  Someone needs to find and dump a copy of it, WC2 is only one in the series I've never beaten.
No children were harmed during this forum posting.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Call me Nummy
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 03:22:05 PM »
Yeah, we were just discussing this on the Facebook group the other day.  Someone needs to find and dump a copy of it, WC2 is only one in the series I've never beaten.

Ahhh man WC2 is one of the best.

The only one i never completed was Prophecy, didn't really care for that one.. but i'll go back one day and finish it.

Offline Maverick1978

• Level 1: Arrival
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 11:07:55 AM »
Necropost...  Man, I never knew this existed. Thanks for the share - I haven't followed wcnews in years, mainly because there haven't been new games in years, and I'm not enough of a fan of the series to sit there and debate minutia of the novels that they consider canon, nor of the many fan projects  that they work on there.

A high school teacher (who's a current close friend) let me borrow his copy of Wing Commander II, and I was HOOKED.  I played through it, then I went and bought every WC game that my pittance of a HS after-school job could pay for. My crowning purchase was The Kilrathi Saga from Babbage's which I purchased before I even had Win9x on a computer (I was still rocking a 486 in those days).

I have the Wing Commander IV DVD version, but have never played it as I never had the hardware to do so. Since the patch came out years later, I've never bothered to patch and play. These days, when I want my WC fix, I fire up the GoG version. Just easier than pulling out the retro gaming rig.

One of these days when Mark Hamil's autograph goes down (or when I can catch him at a small con where prices aren't insane), I'm going to get my WC3 Collector's tin signed. Outside of the animatronic Kilrathi suit, that was one amazing game. And it had Ginger Lynn back when she was still hot ;)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Call me Nummy
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 03:09:09 PM »
People always rail on the Kilrathi muppets in the FMV games.. I know even Chris Roberts said he hated them.. but I mean it got the point across. It was better than some Playstation 1 level CGI they could have done at the time.. and certainly the muppets in the Wing Commander movie abortion didn't look any better.

The DVD version of WC4 is cool because you don't get that weird motion artifacting the standard releases of WC3/4 had due to whatever video compression method they used.

Given the hype with Star Citizen you'd think EA would be smart enough to do something with this franchise but that's EA for you.

Offline Maverick1978

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 03:27:52 PM »
For me, the dislike was of the suits in general. I just felt it was a bad way to have gone, though I agree with you that it's better than what was being done on other platforms at the time. Further, given that they were going full FMV with a Hollywood cast with several recognizable actors, even if not exactly A-Listers, the muppet suits were really the only way to have gone.

Still doesn't mean that I have to like them ;)

Though, to be honest, I much, much preferred them to the rubbery-looking Kilrathi in the movie. I was SO psyched for that movie! And all I got was some mess about Pilgrims, feeling the stars, and rubber muppets. All they had to do was change the character and ship names, and it would have not been Wing Commander - it felt that distant from the stories in the games to me.

As for Star Citizen... I'm a backer, and I have my ID card. Somewhere. But the scope of the game, the fact that it's still in beta, that ships are being sold for sometimes hundreds of dollars - while in beta, even - it's just a turnoff. I'm waiting for it to be completed. Or at least out of beta. Then I may go ahead and play.... or I may just fire up WC1 and relive the fun playing them all through again.

Offline SpineyNorman

• Administrator
  • I'll have Double Jim Bourbons
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 08:20:10 PM »
Could have been worse...
TANSTAAFL 

I'm available for parties, own my own donkeys. Very clean.
If you can read the forum you can figure out Craigslist, constant updates are tedious at best

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer?
Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Offline Mane

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 01:38:14 PM »
I can't believe I'm just finding out about this. 

Someone's gotta have a ROM somewhere... I hope.

Offline Maverick1978

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 09:59:44 PM »
For what? SNES Wing Commander? Uh... roms aren't hard to find if you google for rom sites. There's still a few out there that have essentially everything. Not that I condone such things unless you have the original carts... :)

Offline ratsflif

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • All your base
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 01:29:23 PM »
For what? SNES Wing Commander? Uh... roms aren't hard to find if you google for rom sites. There's still a few out there that have essentially everything. Not that I condone such things unless you have the original carts... :)

Wing Commnader 2 man, there is no known dump of the game for SNES
No children were harmed during this forum posting.

Offline Maverick1978

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 01:36:34 PM »
Ah, my apologies! For some reason, I thought you meant the original 2 games that are all over the place :)

Offline WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

• Level 6: Knight Industries
  • How many points is "TILT"?
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 02:04:07 PM »
Wing Commnader 2 man, there is no known dump of the game for SNES

Yeah.  It's easy to find Wing Commander & Wing Commander - The Secret Missions.
Vids: Namco Rockin' Bowl-O-Rama
Pins: Eight Ball, Meteor, Star Wars Premium (NIB)
Redemption: IceBall Alley Roller

Wishlist:
EM: Aztec, El Dorado, Jacks Open, Jolly Roger, Solar City(Target Alpha), Time Zone(Space Time)
DMD: AFMR, ST Pro, STTNG, TAF

Remember Wheaton's Law

Offline Mane

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 01:05:44 PM »
Ah, my apologies! For some reason, I thought you meant the original 2 games that are all over the place :)

All good.