Author Topic: APE 2016: Closure and future outlook  (Read 17891 times)

Offline Marcel G

• Level 6: Knight Industries
  • APE Man
    • Pinwerks
APE 2016: Closure and future outlook
« on: February 28, 2016, 10:51:04 PM »

Finally, the last game was delivered today, and APE 2016 is officially put to rest.

It has been 7 consecutive years, with the last 4 being the most memorable. This years was the absolute best in my opinion - all steps leading to the show's first day were perfectly executed, thanks in large part to the venue itself in allowing a good amount of pre-staging time. The room, the lighting, the noise levels, the layouts, and the crowds were all just right. I couldn't be happier how things turned out, and I'm happy to hear that many have thought the same.

With that being said, It is sad to say that the APE family "hibernation" will be extended for some time. Many close to me know the lengths I take to bring to the public 3-days of an amazing arcade experience that (hopefully) they will never forget. The ordered layouts all are part of an initial plan, and in other to bring this planning to fruition, I have to ensure the desired titles get to the show. I've been doing this since 2013, and it is now gotten to the level that most might call insane. This year I transported 173 machines to the show. Doing all that physical work involves risks which are of concern, and the months spent to prepare the show overall has taken many liberties away from my personal life.

Simply put, myself and Ape wife have decided to not make plans for a 2017 show, and send out updates on future APE activity and shows thereafter. Knowing this, we gave you the best show possible this year; a more true arcade experience with as many games as in APE 2015, some cool different titles, an amazing pinball tournament by Dan Spolar and John I, and some very unique exhibitor badges.

Many thanks to the many, and you all know who you are. We are extremely grateful for all your support in creating the arcade of dreams.

Marcel & Dilayla
Ape Man and Ape Wife

P I N W E R K S

South Florida pinball machine and videogame repairs professionally done on site - Martin, Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties... and beyond if needed.

Offline maltinej

• Level 3: Hologram
Re: APE 2016: Closure and future outlook
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 11:28:12 PM »
It was phenomenal! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 12:28:01 AM »
Marcel, I know it takes a lot of hard work to put on a show, and I am gratefull i was able to contribute this year ( i was not able to in prior years ) , with this announcement of hibernation, I am glad i did.  I raise my glass to you sir, and hope for a 2018!
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline pindan3

• Level 9: Grid Champion
  • And Now....On with the Show !
    • Town & Country Limousines
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 01:01:26 PM »
Glad I went, even though it was Fri only. I hope it comes back one day!
MB=Monster Bash**CFTBL=Creature from the Black Lagoon*BoP=Bride of Pinbot*RFM=Revenge from Mars*Diner*Shrek** DSS=Scared Stiff *Metallica * BSD= Bram Stokers Dracula . & Rock-in-BowlaRama. ,Silver Strike LIVE bowler ST (Stern Star Trek), PAST PINS  Funhouse, South Park,CP, FT, RS, Big Hit, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Dr Dude, PZ, JY,RBION, TSPP, Popeye, Flintstones, JD, Strikes N Spares ( gotlieb) HS2, TAF, Wish List..AFM le, Aerosmith, DAN

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 01:44:24 PM »
Minus the very first show with Lyle, I have attended and brought machines to ever show.  I am sure this was an easy decision by any stretch!  Kudos to you and Delilah for doing an awesome job on APE!  Im proud to have contributed to it over all these years!!

Offline TronJeremy

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 08:14:35 PM »
Thank you Marcel and Dilayla for your hard work in making the APE possible for so many years. As fun as they were to attend, I also understand how backbreaking and burdensome it must've been for you. I remember going to the very first APE launch in 2004 and I'll always have fond memories. Thanks again for your great efforts, hope it returns in a few years!

Offline doghouse

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
  • www.PinballAsylum.com
    • www.pinballasylum.com
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 09:06:30 PM »

With that being said, It is sad to say that the APE family "hibernation" will be extended for some time. Many close to me know the lengths I take to bring to the public 3-days of an amazing arcade experience that (hopefully) they will never forget. The ordered layouts all are part of an initial plan, and in other to bring this planning to fruition, I have to ensure the desired titles get to the show. I've been doing this since 2013, and it is now gotten to the level that most might call insane. This year I transported 173 machines to the show. Doing all that physical work involves risks which are of concern, and the months spent to prepare the show overall has taken many liberties away from my personal life.

Simply put, myself and Ape wife have decided to not make plans for a 2017 show, and send out updates on future APE activity and shows thereafter. Knowing this, we gave you the best show possible this year; a more true arcade experience with as many games as in APE 2015, some cool different titles, an amazing pinball tournament by Dan Spolar and John I, and some very unique exhibitor badges.

Like the many in Florida (and beyond) who have so thoroughly enjoyed the APE over the years, I feel VERY fortunate to have experienced these phenomenal shows. I have no clue how you pulled it off year after year. In 2016 you simply CRUSHED it. Please rest, gather your strength, and then please come back.  Regardless, sincere thanks for all you have done for the hobby.
When in Fort Myers, visit The Pinball Asylum..."A Nice Place To Play Pinball."

Offline HighProtein

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • Addicted to Progress
    • 904 Pinball Zine
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 11:43:31 PM »
APE 2011 was the first Arcade/Pinball event that I went to and it totally helped to gear up my interest level in arcade/pinball happenings and the hobby.
APE 2016 was a wonderful event that totally highlighted pinball and arcade gaming enthusiast activities at it's finest.
5star:SMB/Rastan
Bmac:CruisinW
DicksOp:PacCocktail,MVC,AREA51,CENTIPEDE,BAGS&TROG
DicksNocatee:TMNT
DicksYulee:NoFear,Contra&MK2
Keg:Ven,JP,DP,GZ,SW,TMNT,Foo,19xx,CrazyTaxi,Tekken5,SF2,SMB,MVC2,NBAjam,PopNmusic,RevX,Tetris&UMK3 / JusticePub:BigHouse,Gladiators,Mario,SF2,SF2NC,Tekken5,Pac,Simpsons&SMB / JRseafood: Multicade&SMB / Players1:STH,TMNT,WCS&TMNT / Players2:DP / Players3:NF / Sneaker:Klax,SS / Soupa:MVC / S.O.P.:Galaga,Pac,&SW / SunRayCinema:Genesis,Deathstalker&SMB
VGR:Area51,CrazyTaxi,H.O.D.SFA3,SF2&WildRiders /
Walrus:PAC,SMB&TT

Offline PhivePhiftyPhive

• Level 1: Arrival
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 10:11:54 AM »
I guess your gassed out? Thanks for the great times!

Offline Marcel G

• Level 6: Knight Industries
  • APE Man
    • Pinwerks
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 09:25:44 PM »
I guess your gassed out? Thanks for the great times!

Not gassed, just need a small break. APE will return stronger than ever.
 Thank you.
P I N W E R K S

South Florida pinball machine and videogame repairs professionally done on site - Martin, Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties... and beyond if needed.

Offline Redland Man

• Level 5: Power User!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 11:02:17 PM »
APE preparations for 2018
Don't be a bully

Offline MikeG

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 01:21:25 AM »
Did someone recap Marcel?
WTB......SCRAMBLE/SUPER COBRA,  JUNGLE HUNT/KING, BERZERK/FRENZY,  MARIO BROS WB.

Offline MIKE96

• Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 01:58:41 AM »
Rare collectables will do that.  ;)
WTB: Anteater,Time Pilot, Wacko, Flicky (uprights)
Astroblasters,Wizard or Wor, Crazy Climber (cabarets)

Offline Robertm

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 06:51:12 AM »

He had to help move the little green one so Jordan didn't strain himself!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pins: Twilight Zone , TWD,  Addams Family, , Got , Woz
Vids: Skeeball ,412-1, Valley Dart, Asteroids, ICB ,  CS/Paperboy, multi williams , MAME, Neo Geo, Playchoice, Gt 2009 w/SSb, Crazy Taxi U/R, Chexx Hockey
Jukebox: Rowe AMI R87

Offline TimothyC

• Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 08:40:32 PM »

I just cleared some space in my front room if you guys need a place for it.  Scouts honor I'll get it down to APE 2018 8) ;D!