Author Topic: DragonBall z 2 game Sprites have black vertical across any animated sprites  (Read 673 times)

Offline Retrokev

• Level 1: Arrival
Looking for someone to point me in the right direction of how to fix this issue or if anyone knows of someone with the knowledge on how to fix it. When i first got it a year ago it had the lines and disappeared a few days after, now they are back for good it seems. help!

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
remove and clean the graphic chips, replace as needed. don't know this hardware, i just do that with any garbage graphics on the moving sprites in a given game. if this is a CPS2 title, ignore this advice.
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline tendril

• Level 3: Hologram
As k7 says removing and replacing any socketed rom chips is the first thing to do and easiest.  If you're lucky it's just a dirty connection.

Unfortunately as this is a more modern game it's likely all the graphics roms are soldered to the board, so unlikely to be that.  The next likely reasons for lines like that are 1: bad mask rom (the rom has failed internally on a data line and needs replaced), or 2:  bad connection to one of the surface mount graphics chips. 

For 2 - gently press on the square surface mount chips while the game is running and see if the lines change or go away.

For 1 and if the roms are in sockets - find out which roms are the sprites by removing 1 at a time and running the game until you see the sprites change.  Then when you know what roms are involved with the sprites swap them around.  Yes, this will give you corrupt sprites, but see if the lines stay in the same place on screen (this means the fault is on the graphics custom) or if they move with the tiles (this means the fault is on the rom end).

Offline tendril

• Level 3: Hologram
Actually I forgot the most obvious test for a bad rom - if its in a socket just read it with an eprom reader then compare the checksum against MAME (or run MAME with that rom image and see if MAME also gives you black lines).

Just ask if you need more help, I can identify what roms on the board are the sprites from the MAME source if you can't figure it out :)