Author Topic: Gary Stern Interview at Little Shop Of Games in Florida on 4/1/2017  (Read 1134 times)

Offline HighProtein

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • Addicted to Progress
    • 904 Pinball Zine
Gary Stern Interview at Little Shop Of Games in Florida on 4/1/2017

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP6MJpeJS6A&t=19s

Gary Stern was the special guest at the 15th Anniversary of Little Shop of Games in Fruitland Park FL.  Little Shop Of Game is the premier pinball dealer in the southeast region of Florida and has run many annual get together's for local charity.  This interview took place Curly's shop/parts department area (hence how I arranged the parts behind Gary).  Thanks again for this candid interview Gary (and the unique interview area Curly).  He's really a stand up guy that goes to events and shows and trade shows to promote the industry.  This was my 3rd interview with Gary and the most candid of the three.
5star:SMB/Rastan
Bmac:CruisinW
DicksOp:PacCocktail,MVC,AREA51,CENTIPEDE,BAGS&TROG
DicksNocatee:TMNT
DicksYulee:NoFear,Contra&MK2
Keg:Ven,JP,DP,GZ,SW,TMNT,Foo,19xx,CrazyTaxi,Tekken5,SF2,SMB,MVC2,NBAjam,PopNmusic,RevX,Tetris&UMK3 / JusticePub:BigHouse,Gladiators,Mario,SF2,SF2NC,Tekken5,Pac,Simpsons&SMB / JRseafood: Multicade&SMB / Players1:STH,TMNT,WCS&TMNT / Players2:DP / Players3:NF / Sneaker:Klax,SS / Soupa:MVC / S.O.P.:Galaga,Pac,&SW / SunRayCinema:Genesis,Deathstalker&SMB
VGR:Area51,CrazyTaxi,H.O.D.SFA3,SF2&WildRiders /
Walrus:PAC,SMB&TT

Offline wildeboutpins

Re: Gary Stern Interview at Little Shop Of Games in Florida on 4/1/2017
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 09:57:35 PM »
Great questions really enjoyed it

Offline HighProtein

• Addicted to Progress
    • 904 Pinball Zine
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 12:33:11 AM »
Thanks, I kinda did it on the fly writing questions as I got there and setting up before the parts department area opened for business that day.
Keg:Ven,JP,DP,GZ,SW,TMNT,Foo,19xx,CrazyTaxi,Tekken5,SF2,SMB,MVC2,NBAjam,PopNmusic,RevX,Tetris&UMK3 / JusticePub:BigHouse,Gladiators,Mario,SF2,SF2NC,Tekken5,Pac,Simpsons&SMB / JRseafood: Multicade&SMB / Players1:STH,TMNT,WCS&TMNT / Players2:DP / Players3:NF / Sneaker:Klax,SS / Soupa:MVC / S.O.P.:Galaga,Pac,&SW / SunRayCinema:Genesis,Deathstalker&SMB

Offline khabbi

• Level 9: Grid Champion
  • "haub-bee"
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 02:15:43 AM »
Great interview, thanks for sharing.  I enjoyed talking to Gary at the party.. pretty cool to have him there. 
LOOK! Your shoe is untied!

Offline TheBatman

• Batman
  • Level 10: Timelord
  • (secret identity Jsgtrman, don't tell anyone!)
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 04:01:26 AM »
Yes, that was a very good interview, great job!

Offline NormaJ

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 09:12:44 AM »
I liked this interview. Gary Stern offered some deeper insight the longer he spoke off the cuff, especially about the business side of pinball and its future. And I mostly agree with him on everything.

Unfortunately, I think he and his fellow executives are missing some key opportunities, especially in "my" age group, and especially among men, to push pinball to the front of a rec-room "wish list". But in order to get these visions met he is going to have to leverage his suppliers, which tend to be smaller, and Stern is going to have to raise its corporate profile, which I don't think it does very well.

The opportunities are mostly in the affiliated markets he mentioned. He has a Harley, he was in Florida with his Harley, and he loves pinball. He probably wasn't the only one in his crowd with similar tastes and interests. So at all Harley shows there should be a corporate-sponsored Stern pinball tent (or a co-marketing with a smaller local vendor like Curly). At Barrett-Jackson, for example, there is almost always one vendor who shells out big bucks to showcase a few new and used pinballs, and he usually sells out. To those car show visitors, that vendor is the only pinball supplier on earth, and his prices are usually high (probably to cover his huge vendor fee).

Getting the "younger people interested" is more about availability, approachability and - let's face it - age-appropriateness. You cannot call Whoa Nellie and the Pabst Blue Ribbon game age-appropriate for kids, but the layouts are certainly kid-friendly. And even the cheapest "Pro" model these days is a hefty investment for any family, which puts pinball on an unnecessarily high shelf. So, just as in the old Sears days and Zizzle days, someone tries to come out with an econo-model to get folks interested in pinball, but cheaper games tend not to be durable games and they get played to death, and that "pinball side" of people's brains goes back to sleep again. And when it finally wakes up and people buy a new game they get overwhelmed by the game's rules and complexity. And servicing it requires the kind of deep technical knowledge the Cell-phone Generation simply does not have.

If Stern wants to win customers, they have to move both forwards and backwards. The folks on this board would buy a game made of solid gold if it had a deep enough rule set. But Stern needs to "become Gottlieb" a little bit, too. They could recycle the same dependable mechanisms over and over and make some really compelling family-friendly games for not as much money. Car companies have built different models of cars on the same chassis. Pinball needs a similar "chassis". Unfortunately, the collector and enthusiast crowd is constantly yearning for newer, more eye-catching features while the real big action may be on the "other side of the market".

I'm going to listen to it again later. Thanks for sharing!

Offline HighProtein

• Addicted to Progress
    • 904 Pinball Zine
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 02:07:15 PM »
I liked this interview. Gary Stern offered some deeper insight the longer he spoke off the cuff, especially about the business side of pinball and its future. And I mostly agree with him on everything.

Unfortunately, I think he and his fellow executives are missing some key opportunities, especially in "my" age group, and especially among men, to push pinball to the front of a rec-room "wish list". But in order to get these visions met he is going to have to leverage his suppliers, which tend to be smaller, and Stern is going to have to raise its corporate profile, which I don't think it does very well.

The opportunities are mostly in the affiliated markets he mentioned. He has a Harley, he was in Florida with his Harley, and he loves pinball. He probably wasn't the only one in his crowd with similar tastes and interests. So at all Harley shows there should be a corporate-sponsored Stern pinball tent (or a co-marketing with a smaller local vendor like Curly). At Barrett-Jackson, for example, there is almost always one vendor who shells out big bucks to showcase a few new and used pinballs, and he usually sells out. To those car show visitors, that vendor is the only pinball supplier on earth, and his prices are usually high (probably to cover his huge vendor fee).

Getting the "younger people interested" is more about availability, approachability and - let's face it - age-appropriateness. You cannot call Whoa Nellie and the Pabst Blue Ribbon game age-appropriate for kids, but the layouts are certainly kid-friendly. And even the cheapest "Pro" model these days is a hefty investment for any family, which puts pinball on an unnecessarily high shelf. So, just as in the old Sears days and Zizzle days, someone tries to come out with an econo-model to get folks interested in pinball, but cheaper games tend not to be durable games and they get played to death, and that "pinball side" of people's brains goes back to sleep again. And when it finally wakes up and people buy a new game they get overwhelmed by the game's rules and complexity. And servicing it requires the kind of deep technical knowledge the Cell-phone Generation simply does not have.

If Stern wants to win customers, they have to move both forwards and backwards. The folks on this board would buy a game made of solid gold if it had a deep enough rule set. But Stern needs to "become Gottlieb" a little bit, too. They could recycle the same dependable mechanisms over and over and make some really compelling family-friendly games for not as much money. Car companies have built different models of cars on the same chassis. Pinball needs a similar "chassis". Unfortunately, the collector and enthusiast crowd is constantly yearning for newer, more eye-catching features while the real big action may be on the "other side of the market".

I'm going to listen to it again later. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for watching, glad you enjoyed it and I dig the well written analysis.  Demographics drive all markets.  That's why to me Generation X will be more important than the boomers in all markets sooner than later.

Offline HighProtein

• Addicted to Progress
    • 904 Pinball Zine
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 02:08:45 PM »
Yes, that was a very good interview, great job!

Thanks, I would have chatted about Batman pinball machines with Gary too, but I had a tight interview slot.  I'm always left with more to discuss!

Offline getyourselfahotdog

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 07:28:53 PM »
Great interview High Protein, Gary is right that expectations are high when your shelling out $6-$8,000 for a pin.  With all this new blood hire I wish we could have gotten some where's the Kiss code update info😄. I'm glad he attended and pretty much stuck around all day before calling it a night. He made the LSOG hat look good with the white stern shirt..

Offline HighProtein

• Addicted to Progress
    • 904 Pinball Zine
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 09:33:12 AM »
Great interview High Protein, Gary is right that expectations are high when your shelling out $6-$8,000 for a pin.  With all this new blood hire I wish we could have gotten some where's the Kiss code update info😄. I'm glad he attended and pretty much stuck around all day before calling it a night. He made the LSOG hat look good with the white stern shirt..

Gary is no joke.  I alluded to his trip being partially vacation in the interview (and it was)
but he takes all appearances very very seriously and for the most part like he's on the job at the time.