Author Topic: Who does Stern board repair near Jacksonville/ St Augustine area ?  (Read 329 times)

Offline Jeff1960

• Level 1: Arrival
T3 looks to need a TIP on the driver board but not sure what caused it to toast.
Thanks Jeff

Offline busa32927

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
Re: Who does Stern board repair near Jacksonville/ St Augustine area ?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 10:25:47 AM »
find out which tip has gone bad.  usually a Q#   then look in the manual to see what coil is asscoiated with it.  then test the coil with your multimeter.  also if the coil has a diode test it.  might be a pop bumper or vuk.

something made the transistor blow.

best of luck
vids:  MK 3&4, KI 1&2, ms pac,  60n1, 246/256 (tekken 5 and soul calibur), lethal enforcers, NBA Jams

WTB: Candy Cab and Crystal Castles

pins: Metallica (NIB), TWD (NIB), Stern ST Premium (NIB), MMr, GB (NIB), AC/DC prem., Stern Spiderman, WOZ

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook

Offline Mamushka

• Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 01:10:52 PM »
find out which tip has gone bad.  usually a Q#   then look in the manual to see what coil is asscoiated with it.  then test the coil with your multimeter.  also if the coil has a diode test it.  might be a pop bumper or vuk.

something made the transistor blow.

best of luck

Could be age  ;) Sometimes transistors just fail. Honestly the vast majority of transistors I have replaced really had no obvious reason behind their failure. For example: TAF lower left magnet that commonly locks on. The TIP 36 typically fails causing this. Just replace it and you are usually good to go (did mine about 10 years ago and it's still going strong).

Obviously very good advice to check the circuit for shorted coils, etc. but in my experiences you rarely will find a smoking gun.
Pins: TAF, FG (not the Ah-Haaa one), SM, FH.
Past Pins: IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's
Other (AKA Vids): Cocktail MAME

Offline Jeff1960

• Level 1: Arrival
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 08:07:03 AM »
T3 is back from the dead . I'm no Clive at board trace repairs but it worked.