Author Topic: Robotron machine wanted-Build me one please!  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Kiteboarderken

• Level 1: Arrival
Robotron machine wanted-Build me one please!
« on: April 28, 2017, 02:26:55 PM »
Hello All,

Last year someone was going to build me my all time favorite video machine-of course its Robotron, but I haven't been able to contact him.  I suppose he changed his mind.  It doesn't have to look mint but it needs to play that way.  I don't want one of those multi game machines because the joy sticks are just not cutting it.  I live in Tampa FL.  Anyone out there able to put one together?  If so let me know what it would cost.  Thank you very much.   I also have a megatouch countertop machine that has all of the adult games and has bill validator if anyone is interested in it.  Thanks for looking!

Offline Rich Jax

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • ...and sometimes the baar eats you.
Re: Robotron machine wanted-Build me one please!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 07:38:02 PM »
Why don't you just buy an original one?

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 12:33:35 AM »
looks like he's trying to. not too common of a title, and a beeotch to get bulletproofed...

I've owned 2 in 10+ years, and they are the only 2 I came across in my multiple warehouse raids over the last 15 years.  :)

good luck.
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline Kiteboarderken

• Level 1: Arrival
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 09:23:06 AM »
Sorry,  To clarify-  I am looking for an original Robotron if someone has one.  I don't expect it to be cheap either.  But after years of looking and unable to locate one, I am asking if someone is able to build one for me.  As I understand it, there are components that are available to make one.  This is definitely not something I am an expert on but just from doing some online research I believe there are some other cabinets that were interchangeable and may be more readily available.   That being said, I thought I would enquire on this board to see if anyone could help me out.  Thanks again for any input or advice!

ken

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 09:39:26 AM »
your going to pay just the same to build one.

as all the metal parts are going to be hard to source.

the cabinet cutting and wood work isn't the hard part.

best to find a donor cab in rough shape than look at building a new cab... or just find a working robotron.

unless your planning on doing a multi-williams cabinet which is jamma.
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline Rich Jax

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • ...and sometimes the baar eats you.
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 09:56:13 PM »
There is a JROK multi-Williams in Ft Lauderdale listed on eBay right now, $2,495 bin.

Offline stevenp

• Level 3: Hologram
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 01:13:01 AM »
There is a JROK multi-Williams in Ft Lauderdale listed on eBay right now, $2,495 bin.

Just to clarify this (I've owned a JROK MW for over 10 years, in a Stargate cab with combo control panel, leaf joysticks): the JROK is not emulated--it is a jamma board that includes the original cpu and sound processors. So, it runs original code on original processors and the timing is exact. All the slowdowns, etc. just like the original and unlike any emulated/mame version I've ever played. Plus you get several other key games like Joust, Defender, Stargate, Splat, Bubbles too.  Components are all modern and can be run on any jamma cabinet, so it should be more reliable than a refurbed original Robotron.
Pins: LOTR LE (NIB), LWJP (NIB), CV (NIB), WPT, Iron Maiden Premium, Spiderman, SST, LAH, Demo Man, WWFRR, Rollergames, Wild Fyre, Comet, Stars, Gold Strike x2, Delta Queen, Freefall, Rio, Super Straight, Mars Trek, 2001, Crosstown, Gulfstream, Bubbles (Genco 1947).

Vids: JROK MultiWMS, ArcadeSD cocktail, Lost Tomb.

Offline Waterborn

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 05:43:58 PM »
Have to disagree with you on this one. JROK gameplay is good, but not exactly the same as the original hardware. I do not have the technical explanation as to why this is, but as somebody who has marathoned robotron numerous times, owns an original cab (currently running the tie die upgraded roms) and also the former owner of a JROK (put together in a Defender cab) I can assure you that the JROK plays a bit harder and escalates a bit quicker on the same difficulty settings.

I believe that there is a complete breakdown on the differences at http://www.robotron2084guidebook.com but there is so much info there that it is sometimes difficult for me to track down the given page that I am searching for.

With that said, good luck on your search. Robotron cabs are definitely going up in price with the recent resurgence in interest thanks to the 100 million point gauntlet challenge and David Gomez's amazing marathons, both using original roms (with the corner bug in tact - he just did 100 million points using these roms!) and the tie die romset (David also currently hold the record for the highest single credit video verified score). I will NEVER sell mine. :)

Offline banner_ad

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 09:34:34 AM »
Have to disagree with you on this one. JROK gameplay is good, but not exactly the same as the original hardware. I do not have the technical explanation as to why this is, but as somebody who has marathoned robotron numerous times, owns an original cab (currently running the tie die upgraded roms) and also the former owner of a JROK (put together in a Defender cab) I can assure you that the JROK plays a bit harder and escalates a bit quicker on the same difficulty settings.

snip

Actually, it absolutely is the same and your perception is just that, perception.  Given the same settings on both, it should play exactly the same except for the randomization of the waves.  It's not emulated at all as far as the hardware for the actual game play.   There is of course emulation for sound if you should so choose to use it instead of hooking up an original sound board.  Given that, James worked on making the sound output cycle for cycle accurate for all games except Sinistar. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 09:36:18 AM by banner_ad »

Offline RussG

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 12:40:17 PM »
JROK'd two cabinets I did complete restores on:  a Stargate and a Defender cabinet.

I absolutely love the JROk's and to me they play flawlessly.

Offline Waterborn

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 02:08:25 PM »
So after speaking with Mark Hoff aka 1500 points it appears that I had an early version of the JROK that did indeed have a slight differential in gameplay. This was addressed in subsequent releases and is apparently no longer an issue. And to be clear I loved my JROK Defender though I tended to keep my Robotron playing to the original cab and hardware.