Author Topic: The Orville  (Read 1307 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
The Orville
« on: May 16, 2017, 10:20:39 AM »
! No longer available

I like comedy SCI-FI. When done right it can be really good.. everything from Quark to Red Dwarf works pretty well.

I don't really like Seth McFarlane. His style appears to be throw 20 jokes at you with maybe 2 that are funny. That's a lot of wading through bad jokes.. but at least they come quickly usually? That said I didn't find a single thing funny in this trailer. It looks like a bad rip off of Galaxy Quest. If they can't find good jokes for a trailer.. hoo boy.

Offline Mamushka

• Level 9: Grid Champion
Re: The Orville
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 03:31:03 PM »
! No longer available

I like comedy SCI-FI. When done right it can be really good.. everything from Quark to Red Dwarf works pretty well.

I don't really like Seth McFarlane. His style appears to be throw 20 jokes at you with maybe 2 that are funny. That's a lot of wading through bad jokes.. but at least they come quickly usually? That said I didn't find a single thing funny in this trailer. It looks like a bad rip off of Galaxy Quest. If they can't find good jokes for a trailer.. hoo boy.

The "aside from shooting your dad..." was OK. I agree, not much else, "those are marbles"?  :P
Pins: TAF, FG (not the Ah-Haaa one), SM, FH, LOTR. NGG
Past Pins: SM, IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's
Other (AKA Vids): Cocktail MAME

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 04:26:42 PM »
i like seth mcfarlane bad jokes, so i will look forward to this show.
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 04:42:46 PM »
i like seth mcfarlane bad jokes, so i will look forward to this show.

It will probably be better than Amy Schumer, i'll give you that.

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 04:44:00 PM »
i think i can agree with that, and i do like amy schumer.
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 11:24:26 AM »
Yeah, there wasn't much funny in the trailer, and given that the job of the trailer is to sell you on the show, to condense it and show some of the funniest bits to make it look better than it might actually be... not a good sign.

I think McFarland is a lot easier to take in an animated show. I like Family Guy, I still watch it. It has never been my favorite show but it's funny enough - "Orville" doesn't look like it is up to that fairly low bar.

Maybe should have done this as an animated show too, Futurama has been off for a while now, there's room for it. You can do more with a lower budget in sci-fi/fantasy if it's animated too.

I had an idea for a Sci-Fi/Comedy show a while back too, it's called "Riker 2000". You get Jonathan Frakes to reprise the role of Riker from TNG. He's older, got a beer gut, maybe balding - but still fancies himself a ladies man.

He's finally captain of his own ship, which is kind of a piece of crap. We're seeing the other, less well funded side of the Federation.

His first officer is the transporter accident-created version of himself from that one episode of TNG. Riker specifically requested him in order to give him a hard time - he resents this version of himself because he's younger and better-looking, having been trapped inside the transporter for all those years. Riker refers to him as "fake Riker".

I had more on that but can't remember any more, it largely revolves around them performing boring space-station restocking missions, Riker has a girlfriend at every station, most of which he's trying to avoid (the needy, pregnant Ferrengi, etc.).

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 12:00:02 PM by Niloc »

Offline HFK

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 11:45:20 AM »
Last we saw of Thomas Riker he was on his way to a Cardassian prison after stealing the Defiant from DS9. That got me thinking though they never said what became of him. At the end of DS9 Cardassia was basically in ruins. Did he escape years ago? Killed in prison? Died during the fighting with the Dominion?

Offline k7

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 03:29:56 PM »
if we had the internet, we would destroy the star trek preview. :P

given that, it's Ted 3 American Dad Family Guys...in space. with less cursing. cannot succeed.
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline pindan3

• And Now....On with the Show !
    • Town & Country Limousines
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 09:42:37 AM »
I'll watch it........for awhile
MB=Monster Bash**CFTBL=Creature from the Black Lagoon*BoP=Bride of Pinbot*RFM=Revenge from Mars*Diner*Shrek** DSS=Scared Stiff *Metallica * BSD= Bram Stokers Dracula . & Rock-in-BowlaRama. ,Silver Strike LIVE bowler ST (Stern Star Trek), PAST PINS  Funhouse, South Park,CP, FT, RS, Big Hit, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Dr Dude, PZ, JY,RBION, TSPP, Popeye, Flintstones, JD, Strikes N Spares ( gotlieb) HS2, TAF, Wish List..AFM le, Aerosmith, DAN

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 12:41:50 PM »
Yeah, there wasn't much funny in the trailer, and given that the job of the trailer is to sell you on the show, to condense it and show some of the funniest bits to make it look better than it might actually be... not a good sign.

I think McFarland is a lot easier to take in an animated show. I like Family Guy, I still watch it. It has never been my favorite show but it's funny enough - "Orville" doesn't look like it is up to that fairly low bar.

Maybe should have done this as an animated show too, Futurama has been off for a while now, there's room for it. You can do more with a lower budget in sci-fi/fantasy if it's animated too.

I had an idea for a Sci-Fi/Comedy show a while back too, it's called "Riker 2000". You get Jonathan Frakes to reprise the role of Riker from TNG. He's older, got a beer gut, maybe balding - but still fancies himself a ladies man.

He's finally captain of his own ship, which is kind of a piece of crap. We're seeing the other, less well funded side of the Federation.

His first officer is the transporter accident-created version of himself from that one episode of TNG. Riker specifically requested him in order to give him a hard time - he resents this version of himself because he's younger and better-looking, having been trapped inside the transporter for all those years. Riker refers to him as "fake Riker".

I had more on that but can't remember any more, it largely revolves around them performing boring space-station restocking missions, Riker has a girlfriend at every station, most of which he's trying to avoid (the needy, pregnant Ferrengi, etc.).

This, I would watch  :)
Pins: TAF, FG (not the Ah-Haaa one), SM, FH, LOTR. NGG
Past Pins: SM, IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's
Other (AKA Vids): Cocktail MAME

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 01:25:21 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmdShv8mc0w

New trailer for this. Definitely looks more Galaxy Quest than anything else.. but given that GQ was a Star Trek spoof this makes the Orville more "star trek" than the new star trek.