Author Topic: Prices are absolutely insane.  (Read 4527 times)

Offline PinFever

• Level 9: Grid Champion
    • Pc Gamers Battle company ( OUTLAW )
Re: Prices are absolutely insane.
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 05:30:25 PM »
Don't bring this thread up until I sell PinFever my STLE.
Damnit man . Got one already / I did want yours ughhh  ;D

101_4003 by jfcdigger, on Flickr
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 05:35:24 PM by PinFever »

Offline CUJO

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 07:03:36 PM »
When I start seeing demos, ft, and t2s going for 2800-4000 that's when I know it's time to sit back and save cash for when the bottom falls out.

I've never paid more than 1200 for anyone of these, and probably never will. Between the 3 I've owned 12

+1 on that.
It's discouraging now to try to buy.

I can't justify a new Stern anymore. Since GB and AS came out, I didn't care for the cheap build quality on GB.
AS is better, esp. with the Color DMD, but to me it just comes across of too IN YOUR FACE-ISH with the jester & still, cheap gray guide rails instead of stainless or chrome, Scoops that aren't scoops anymore (shallow holes), cabinets that split,  kickouts that just keep track that you get another ball instead of the true kickout mech..saves $$$ sure..makes it more fun? Not for me...
Current Pins: ST:PRO,MET:PRO, SOUTH PARK, WOZECLE#947, BOP, FGY, TSPP, ST:TNG, KINGS OF STEEL, FRANKENSTEIN, DM, PHARAOH, LOST IN SPACE, STINGRAY, WCS94, METEOR, SPACE JAM, AMIGO, POPEYE, ALIEN POKER, CAVEMAN, HOUDINI, DILE#0829, MBrLE#0566, IM PRO, RUSH PRO, CCRLE#327
Video:  Vertical/ w/BABYSTAR 465 in 1 BOARD
Past Pins: Shaq Attaq, X-Files, Space Station #1, WhoDunnit?, Space Mission, Bally Lost World, Space Station #2, MotorDome

Online busa32927

• Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 08:36:00 PM »
here are my thoughts on this topic for what it is worth.  prices are climbing.  yes just like a loaf of bread or a car or an ac unit.  just is part of the times.while i do agree sometimes the prices get a little bit silly and hard to justify when you see games not supported very well.  but there is now a great deal of intrest in this hobby.  no just by people who play but by people who invent. 

there has to be money in something for people to be innovative and bring new product and ideas to the table.  you see it all over the place.  where there is money to be made people will go there.  look at all of the new items that have come about because of the money.  now you can get replacement boards, ramps, parts put back into production, leds, addressable leds, color displays, lcds, smaller faster boards, cpus used in games, silicon fubbers and rings, interactivity through the phone or web, new manufactures, and so on. 

No one has ever said innovation didnt come with a cost or will never have a failure either.   you take a 2 steps forward and 1 step back sometimes.  its just a part of life.

I see the hobby growing and making people happy.  that is the best part of this hobby is happiness.  prices on new and used games are going up.  just is what it is.  its always your choice to politely turn down a price or may you have a local barcade that you can still enjoy the game.

I hate the prices sometimes too but there are a lot more benefits to this hobby than just a dollar sign. 

keep on having a good time with good people.    interesting topic.
vids:   246/256 (tekken 5 and soul calibur),  robotron, joust w/jrok, centipede

pins:  Star Trek premmy, ACDC prem, SW(stern) prem,  BM66 prem, GnR LE, jjp potc le, Woz, The Hobbit,  JP(stern), Godzilla premmy,  AIQ (prem), EHoH. LoTR, CCr, F-14

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook, Spiderman, GoT, Metallica, IMdn, Munsters, Grand Lizard, WhirlWind, BKSOR, Alice Cooper, RZ, BSD, Firepower, STTNG, TMNT prem, TWD, Gilligan

Offline CUJO

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 09:26:32 PM »
Definitely a interesting topic...

This topic has been around and round so many times..when people stop buying overpriced Sterns, the demand will force pricing to drop.

I actually don't mind spending $6-$7K on a new pin but it has to be QUALITY/EXCITING/A THEME I KNOW I'LL LOVE/.

Stern's don't feel right to me anymore. They're too light..and the code updates coming are like playing a roulette wheel in Vegas.

JJP is going to really solidify themselves with this 3rd pin. It's already #17 in the TOP100 on Pinside and it just started shipping.

JJP builds QUALITY...I have a WOZLE #947 and I've seen/played many a Hobbit and would own one except the theme doesn't cut it for me.

JJP just released yet another code update for WOZ and HOBBIT..Outstanding Code support. The new WOZ code has a new feature on the LCD as you get points, they appear on the screen and fade as they float up. So cool to watch.

I might very well be a future DIALED IN customer. JJP has always done right by me. It is an exciting time for sure, as much for the player as well as the tinkerer..I'm 50/50 on that! Love to work on them as well (when time permits).
Current Pins: ST:PRO,MET:PRO, SOUTH PARK, WOZECLE#947, BOP, FGY, TSPP, ST:TNG, KINGS OF STEEL, FRANKENSTEIN, DM, PHARAOH, LOST IN SPACE, STINGRAY, WCS94, METEOR, SPACE JAM, AMIGO, POPEYE, ALIEN POKER, CAVEMAN, HOUDINI, DILE#0829, MBrLE#0566, IM PRO, RUSH PRO, CCRLE#327
Past Pins: Shaq Attaq, X-Files, Space Station #1, WhoDunnit?, Space Mission, Bally Lost World, Space Station #2, MotorDome

Online busa32927

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 10:52:34 PM »
i have too been impressed by jersey jack.  but i with any coding you are bound to break something when it is updated.  they will need another update.  the latest update made my woz not register any which hits.  but they were smart by leaving the old code there too.  its all in the nature of the beast.  nothing is perfect.

once i learned that i was much happier in life.

pins:  Star Trek premmy, ACDC prem, SW(stern) prem,  BM66 prem, GnR LE, jjp potc le, Woz, The Hobbit,  JP(stern), Godzilla premmy,  AIQ (prem), EHoH. LoTR, CCr, F-14

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook, Spiderman, GoT, Metallica, IMdn, Munsters, Grand Lizard, WhirlWind, BKSOR, Alice Cooper, RZ, BSD, Firepower, STTNG, TMNT prem, TWD, Gilligan

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 10:56:48 PM »
At least most games keep their value which is nice. I've owned 2 high dollar NIB/HUO Stern pins, one I sold for a few hundred more than I paid for it so all's well.. the other one, time will tell.

What I am paranoid about is paying $6k (or more!) for a game that turns out to be not well received for whatever reason (play? theme?) and watching their price just plummet. Stuff like Rolling Stones, Wheel of Fortune or more recently WWF. Not talking about how good these games are (or not) just if you paid full price for one you lost a good chunk of change when you tried to sell it. That's something I couldn't wrap my head around.. in all the time i've been doing this I don't think i've lost more than $50 on a game (mostly arcades mind you but a decent number of pins) which when the pin costs $8k or $9k it would be really easy to take a huge loss.

Offline CUJO

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2017, 11:26:31 PM »
i have too been impressed by jersey jack.  but i with any coding you are bound to break something when it is updated.  they will need another update.  the latest update made my woz not register any which hits.  but they were smart by leaving the old code there too.  its all in the nature of the beast.  nothing is perfect.

once i learned that i was much happier in life.

I'll have to see if that is the case with my WOZ too.
Are others reporting this problem on Pinside too?

Online busa32927

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2017, 11:30:46 PM »
yes they are.  back up b4 install.  if it flakes out u will have to do a full install of 6.06 to get it back working.

Offline Baiter

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2017, 11:48:14 PM »
One would think the market would also raise used prices, but they are largely down or flat.  Buy used and there's really nothing to complain about.
WTB: Defender, Embryon

Offline Shimoda

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 09:33:44 AM »
One would think the market would also raise used prices, but they are largely down or flat.  Buy used and there's really nothing to complain about.

No, that's what architect is saying, the used market for titles like FT, DM, T2 has also shot up.  I just a few days ago saw an average FT listed for a bit over 3K.  Will the seller get that?  who knows.  But that it's being asked for certain titles now.  Bad Cats, my mistake for letting ours go, especially the CPR gold PF and stuff I had with it.  But looking at what's for sale, one guy going to Pintastic had one, players - 2500.  Guy in ND with a players - 1800.  It's a rarer game but not universally loved.  Smallish run compared to other games of the time, but not excessively so considering the age. 

I'm looking to lose money on my WOZ RR and while I've seen them go higher than what I'm asking, it's not sold yet.  Star Wars possibly helping to hurt the sale?  Sure, but if SW was going to be a 4500 pin like Met was two years ago, instead of much more, then other pin sales might go through faster.  Keep the whole market flowing.  Of course, I also think JJP has a lot more quality and WOZ obviously has the highest BOM of anything built in recent memory, probably since TZ or TSPP. 

The problem is multifold, it is on buyers in both the used and new markets.  Blaming companies for maximizing profit is fine and dandy, it's like blaming the candy man for giving everyone a sugar buzz - just doing their job.  Will there be a bubble burst?  We keep waiting but I think it's more likely to parallel any other burst in markets, at least niche hobby markets.  I just consider myself lucky to have machines and any economic flexibility to enjoy this hobby.  Beats the alternatives.
King Pin ('73 GTB), Paragon, Tommy, Flash Gordon, Strato Flite (holding for buddy), Barracora

Past: Big Ben, FACES, Joker Poker(stein), Silverball Mania, Doctor Who (x2), Embryon, BSD, WOZ, BC, Sinbad, TSPP, WH2O, Farfalla, Amazing Spider-Man, Diner, Funhouse, Space Invaders, F-14, Rollergames, BoP, Incredible Hulk,  Centaur, Top Score, ES, BK2K, Meteor, EBD-LE, Genie, Flash Gordon, Diner, Mata Hari, Doctor Who, Soccer, The Wiggler, Nine Ball

Offline Shdwknt

• Level 6: Knight Industries
  • Suck it
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2017, 03:19:15 PM »
The prices just arent going up on pins though..
Jamma prices are through the roof and replacement parts are getting to be close to non-existent on arcade machines these days.  There is a threat someone started showing old messaging for arcade boards back in 1997.  I remember those prices its when I stocked up on my top ten favorite games of the time.. now you cant touch a good working board set for popular games under 200$ - which is STUUUPID. 

But like everyone is saying its all in the buyers hands - they stop paying those prices the sellers will either be forced to eat them or dump them.  I'm buying machines right now from a route operator that is getting rid of all his standup video games and replacing them with redemption machines.. which im totally for.. personally Im getting decent prices as I see them for machines that need a little basic TLC and are alive in my game room.

As long as people are willing to pay these prices.. the prices will stay up there..
Red White and Blue IGT Slot, SF2: CE, SF: The MovieNSM hyperbeam 100 disc Jukebox,

Offline Baiter

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2017, 10:09:05 PM »
No, that's what architect is saying, the used market for titles like FT, DM, T2 has also shot up. 

The bubble is only NIB though... FT/DM/T2 have always been "cheap" DMD games, so a $500-$1000 bump in them still puts them no where close to a used Stern Pro, which are consistently running $500+ under current Pro prices of >$5k.  I see a WCS for $2k here, that's been the going rate for years.  CV for $7.2k, it's been years since it was significantly less.  I still see XMLE's and AVLE's in the $5k range for HUO.  In the past 3-4 years all I see is used prices down/flat and NIB prices up.
WTB: Defender, Embryon

Offline sinistar71

• Im probably already still here.
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2017, 10:38:45 PM »
Seems like there has been a big spike in prices for a bunch of oddball games that werent going for much or even that desirable a few years ago. Thinking about games like Atlantis, Transporter, Bad Cats, Radical, that stuff has increased a lot. I guess the 90s DMDs started drying up so those games became more in demand. Could be in a few years the Ravens, Hollywood Heats and Spring Breaks will be 2500 dollar games. Better stock up now!

Offline CUJO

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2017, 10:57:19 PM »
The bubble is only NIB though... FT/DM/T2 have always been "cheap" DMD games, so a $500-$1000 bump in them still puts them no where close to a used Stern Pro, which are consistently running $500+ under current Pro prices of >$5k.  I see a WCS for $2k here, that's been the going rate for years.  CV for $7.2k, it's been years since it was significantly less.  I still see XMLE's and AVLE's in the $5k range for HUO.  In the past 3-4 years all I see is used prices down/flat and NIB prices up.
2K for a WCS94 is a steal in today's market. I'd be surprised if it's still available for that. It's
high up on the Pinside TOP!00 too. 37 I think

Offline CUJO

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2017, 10:52:02 AM »
yes they are.  back up b4 install.  if it flakes out u will have to do a full install of 6.06 to get it back working.

I'm not certain if my witch target is working the same as before or not...
It does indicate hits but not sure if that black plate is a target or there are proximity sensors underneath.
I got the witch skill shot so it does work. Can you get the Witch skill shot on yours with new code?

My big sigh of relief is they put effort into fixing the issue where a ball would get stuck between the Winkie drop target and the clear plastic above during a multiball. Rare, but it can happen and does. It melted my Winkie Guard coil. Had to replace it.