Author Topic: UFC 214: Hype To The Moon and Epic Fail  (Read 127 times)

Offline HighProtein

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • Addicted to Progress
    • 904 Pinball Zine
UFC 214: Hype To The Moon and Epic Fail
« on: July 30, 2017, 02:39:08 PM »
UFC 214: Hype To The Moon and Epic Fail

I rarely watch UFC events as they just aren't exciting like long ago...
Great talent and skill, but many don't want to try to finish fights,
some fight bookings are just sad these days and most have no character, just skill.

The main event was oook and lived up to a little of the hype...
Tyron Woodley didn't even try to finish Maia, seemed like was killing time...
It took Cristiane Justino a while to finish a strong can of an opponent...
Did Robbie Lawler really win that fight?

Results here...
http://www.sherdog.com/events/UFC-214-Cormier-vs-Jones-2-57825
Home:Jokerz&PacJRcoctail
Shop:PartyZone,RoadKangs/TekkenSwag/PrimalCage/DarkStalkers/MK2/Titris/BigCabinet
Parents:SkyJump/6M$M/EBD/Medusa
AnastatiaLanes:F14,Nascar,NoGoodGofers&NoFear
Beer30:Godzilla,JudgeDredd,NBAFB,NoFear,NBAjam,GoldenAxeDA,SF215thAnnEdition,XmenVsSF&TROG
DicksNorthside:MousinAround,SST,SS2
HourGlassPub:BigHouse,DrWho,X-Files,SF2-NC
JRseafood:19xx
NightHawks:NeoGeoBubblePuzzle
PlayersGrill:MNF&WCS
SouthAphilly:Galaga,Pacman,LethalWeapon3
Sun-RayCinema:T2&BSD
VGRcade:KI,MVC2,MarioBrosPin,SF2Pin,TMNTpin,RoyalRumble

Offline MilitiaMan

• Show Organizer
  • Level 10: Timelord
  • www.jaxarcadex.com
    • Jacksonville Arcade Expo
Re: UFC 214: Hype To The Moon and Epic Fail
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 02:58:36 PM »
The Maia/Woodley fight was a snoozefest. UFC should strongly consider not putting fights together that feature entirely different styles like that. It was basically just Woodley defending Maia's takedown attempts for the entire fight.

The Cerrone/Lawlor fight could have gone either way, but it was entertaining at least. I also thought the chick that fought Cyborg put together a nice effort. She had no chance, but she took a lot of punishment and lasted a lot longer than anyone thought she would. Cyborg is a beast.

The main event was very entertaining as UFC fights go. I thought Cormier was winning the fight until Jon Jones took control and ended it. That is about how I expected that fight to go, but at least there was action.

Steve
MM
I gotta be crazy! I'm on a pilgrimage to see a moose.

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
Re: UFC 214: Hype To The Moon and Epic Fail
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 09:01:08 PM »
quoted steve and added thoughts:

The Maia/Woodley fight was a snoozefest. UFC should strongly consider not putting fights together that feature entirely different styles like that. It was basically just Woodley defending Maia's takedown attempts for the entire fight.
it WAS Woodley defending maia's takedowns. horrible on paper. horrible in real life. but I said at the beginning of this fight: if maia can take Woodley down and hold him down early, maia wins, submission.
if maia cannot take Woodley down within 30 seconds, he will be knocked out or we get a boring decision.

[/i]
The Cerrone/Lawlor fight could have gone either way, but it was entertaining at least.

have to say, this was weird. but this was the fight of the night. cerrone fought better. but cerrone backed up and counter punched the entire fight. lawlor pushed forward the entire fight, and ate jabs. but, the azz whooping he put on cerrone in the first 30 seconds of round 1 and constant pressure won him the judges choice.

I also thought the chick that fought Cyborg put together a nice effort. She had no chance, but she took a lot of punishment and lasted a lot longer than anyone thought she would. Cyborg is a beast.

tonya evinger had performed the best against cyborg to date in MMA. evinger went up a weight class, and was probably 15 lbs lighter than cyborg in the fight. saying that, she is 1 tough chick and will show well in the 135lb division, which is where she belongs. honestly, I'm surprised it got out of the 1st round.

The main event was very entertaining as UFC fights go. I thought Cormier was winning the fight until Jon Jones took control and ended it. That is about how I expected that fight to go, but at least there was action.

I thought cormier was cruising to a 50-45 judges decision (believed that he eeked out 1 and 2). jones, defended the take down and was waiting for cormier to duck right, and bam...left high head kick. jones even talked about that during interviews with cormier.

great fight. and I though cormier would get this one just due to jones inactivity in the ring the last 2.5 years.

this was not a bad card, compared to some they've put on. only 1 fight was a dud. and joe rogan pointed that out clearly in the interview...lol.

Oezdemir destroyed Manuwa. that alone made the card. :)
WTB:  Goin' Nuts
          Rock Star/Blue Note
          Jai Alai
          Strange World
          KingPin (yawn)
          Road Runner
          Nosferatu
          Wrath of Olympus...really...they only made 6?