Author Topic: Valerian  (Read 156 times)

Offline RussG

• Level 8: Psi Corps
Valerian
« on: August 01, 2017, 07:35:42 PM »
Who's seen it?

I recommend it.  Not nearly as bad as the critics say.  Some great scenery and scenes in it including Cara Delivingne!
Movie mixes other greats too. Messages were spot on.
I don't want to say too much, but.....

There is a scene in the movie you hear Moon Cresta sounds too! (during the scene at Paradise Alley) I thought that was cool.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
  • Call me Nummy
Re: Valerian
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 10:24:08 PM »
I like Luc Besson and I generally do OK with these type of movies.

I might hit a matinee this week, given how it bombed prolly won't be around theaters long.

Offline PinPup

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 06:54:25 AM »
Just wondering if the whole superhero sci-fi bubble is starting to burst. Seems to be a ton of this stuff in theaters and on tv. I see we are getting Midnight Texas which looks to be a teen Xmen type of thing. Seen so much of this I  probably won't bother with it. Valerian might not be a bad flick, maybe over saturation is keeping people away. Or maybe the movie looks like it relies too much on special effects without any heart. For me Gods of Egypt fit into this category and I had no interest in it.
Games Owned: Gilligan's Island, Joker Poker (YES!), DWHO, EATPM, GRAND LIZARD, STOCK CAR, 60 Multicade
Past Games Owned: Cherry Bell, Black Pyramid, Jokerz!, Hang Glider, Capt. Fantastic, Nip-It, Pro Pool, Dimension, Bally Supreme (wood rail) Genco Spitfire (wood rail). Arcade: Defender, Robbie Roto. (Got carried away at an auction on Roto, sheesh!) WTB: Centigrade 37, Alien Poker

Offline ratsflif

• All your base
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 09:42:10 AM »
I saw it with my son and we both enjoyed it.  Great effects and thought it was pretty fun.
No children were harmed during this forum posting.

Offline RussG

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 10:11:52 AM »
Just wondering if the whole superhero sci-fi bubble is starting to burst. Seems to be a ton of this stuff in theaters and on tv. I see we are getting Midnight Texas which looks to be a teen Xmen type of thing. Seen so much of this I  probably won't bother with it. Valerian might not be a bad flick, maybe over saturation is keeping people away. Or maybe the movie looks like it relies too much on special effects without any heart. For me Gods of Egypt fit into this category and I had no interest in it.

I don't think so with Valerian. The complaints were the two leads were miscast.  While I am not a huge fan of the guy who played Valerian I think he did fine in this role and Cara certainly wasn't miscast in hers in my opinion.
I enjoyed the movie and so did a friend that saw it with me.
It's worth checking out on the big screen before it goes away.

Offline WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

• Level 6: Knight Industries
  • One day I will have one..
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 11:27:17 AM »
I think the main character, Valerian, had some pretty awful lines and delivery. That being said, I found it entertaining and that’s all I wanted out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Vids: Namco Rockin' Bowl-O-Rama, MVS
Pins: 300, Eight Ball, Meteor, Star Wars Premium

Wishlist:
Vids: Upright Racer, Small-ish Shooter(Carnival King?)
Redemption: Skee Ball
EM: Aztec, El Dorado, Jolly Roger, Target Alpha, Time Zone(Space Time)
SS: Star Trek (Bally), Strikes and Spares
DMD: Hook, STTNG, STPRO, TAF, TSPP

Remember Wheaton's Law

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 01:14:43 PM »
Just saw this. I liked it, didn't love it.

I'm also of the opinion that Valerian was miscast - that actor just seemed like a dud, at least in this role.

Most everything else was fine, thought the "converter" was overly cutesy and inadequately explained - feed it one of something and it instantly shits out multiple copies?

A lot of it was cartoony, but that was OK because it was fairly consistent. Reminded me a lot of The Fifth Element - no surprise there.

It's not a classic or anything, but it's entertaining. The opening sequence is pretty great.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
  • Call me Nummy
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 01:49:48 PM »
I saw this recently as well.

First off it's Luc Besson SCI-FI so on that alone it's pretty cool. I definitely got that Heavy Metal/European Comic vibe that was so awesome in The Fifth Element. Obviously this was based on a comic so no big surprise there, but it did feel like it was the same universe as the Fifth Element which is obviously a great film.

The protagonists were a bit young for my liking. The main kid wasn't nearly as annoying as I thought he'd be from the trailers and overall he did an OK job but yeah.. just a bit too young.

Story wise it was fine but parts were definitely not explained well making you do some calculations in your head to make it all fit together. Now I absolutely hate it when films over explain plot points but in this case a few bits were a tad under explained and didn't readily make sense due to the way they were presented. We're also in basically a new universe so when you don't know exactly what all the rules are (ie unlike say a Star Trek or Star Wars film) then somethings end up being more confusing than they need to be. Like towards the end I wasn't sure if they we're going to recreate the planet for reals using some alien ball technology or if it was a hologram or what until later on.

It was interesting that the film was more Avatar than anything else.

Like many movies it also ran a hair longer than it needed to. If you think about it some sub-plots like the entire Rihanna sequence really didn't add anything to the plot and could have been dropped.. i'd imagine her character is in the comics though? Dunno

Overall though I definitely agree it was OK. It was different enough and I was entertained throughout. I thought there were some truly imaginative concepts sprinkled throughout and the visuals were really interesting. It's a bummer it bombed so bad.. I really wish I had seen it on the big screen but it was in and out so quick by the time I made an effort to see it you couldn't find it playing anywhere. I think the trailers were confusing and the emphasis on the young protagonists gave people flashbacks of the Young Fiction genre which is on the bit of the outs now as we've had too many shitty Hunger Games, Divergence, Twilight-eseque films and people are just burned out. This really wasn't that at all but to Joe Sixpack it probably looked close enough to avoid.