Author Topic: Covered Trailer Rental in Jax  (Read 2735 times)

Offline scarabaeus

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
Covered Trailer Rental in Jax
« on: August 03, 2017, 10:12:50 AM »
TL;DNR:  Does anyone have experience with a good place, in or around JAX besides U-Haul, that offers covered cargo trailer rentals?

One of the things that stops me from buying more machines is the fact that I don't have access to a covered trailer and being here in FL, with the rain... Well, I don't want to stress over shrink-wrapping and tarping Multi-$K machines and driving them, open air, across the state with the unpredictable weather. (Maybe I'm just too paranoid.)  Unfortunately, I live in a subdivision in Jax that does not allow you to park trailers outside and my garage space is at a premium, so short of moving to a new subdivision, I can't just buy one.  It'd be nice to know of a place that has reasonable, relatively short notice access to rent tow-behind cargo trailers.  I've had nothing but trouble with the local U-Haul trailers and those low ceilings are a back-breaker!  If anyone has any suggestions on good places for trailer rentals, or even other suggestions about open-air transport, I'd love to hear them!

Just so its said: I still plan on blanketing and shrink-wrapping the machines in a covered transport, but I won't have to worry so much about weather-proofing.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:29:32 AM by scarabaeus »

Offline busa32927

• Level 8: Psi Corps
Re: Covered Trailer Rental in Jax
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 10:16:04 AM »
if you own a truck you can get a camper to go on it.  you could rent a larger trailer from uhaul.  6x12 should give you plenty of head room.  there are other rental places too
vids:   246/256 (tekken 5 and soul calibur),  robotron, joust w/jrok, centipede

pins:  Star Trek premmy, ACDC prem, SW(stern) prem,  BM66 prem, GnR LE, jjp potc le, Woz, The Hobbit,  JP(stern), Godzilla premmy,  AIQ (prem), EHoH. LoTR, CCr, F-14

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook, Spiderman, GoT, Metallica, IMdn, Munsters, Grand Lizard, WhirlWind, BKSOR, Alice Cooper, RZ, BSD, Firepower, STTNG, TMNT prem, TWD, Gilligan

Offline scarabaeus

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 10:22:41 AM »
if you own a truck you can get a camper to go on it.  you could rent a larger trailer from uhaul.  6x12 should give you plenty of head room.  there are other rental places too

The three 6x12 cargo trailers I've rented from my local U-Hauls only had a max 5'1" headroom (although they advertised 5'5").  That's my "back-breaker" issue.  It's always my back-up option, but I'd love to find a place that offers better.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:25:27 AM by scarabaeus »

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 11:33:13 AM »
are you really going to buy that many machines in bulk?  :)

my lack of ability to get more than 1 game helps keep my hobby addiction in check.

that, and the stupid pricing nowadays.

buy a crx.
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline busa32927

• Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 11:34:34 AM »
are you transporting pins or vids.  either way i usually lay them flat on carboard or carpet and then push them to the back.  no need to get in unless you want to strap them in. 

the only other option is to pay donny to pick them up or deliver them.
vids:   246/256 (tekken 5 and soul calibur),  robotron, joust w/jrok, centipede

pins:  Star Trek premmy, ACDC prem, SW(stern) prem,  BM66 prem, GnR LE, jjp potc le, Woz, The Hobbit,  JP(stern), Godzilla premmy,  AIQ (prem), EHoH. LoTR, CCr, F-14

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook, Spiderman, GoT, Metallica, IMdn, Munsters, Grand Lizard, WhirlWind, BKSOR, Alice Cooper, RZ, BSD, Firepower, STTNG, TMNT prem, TWD, Gilligan

Offline scarabaeus

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 12:46:06 PM »
are you really going to buy that many machines in bulk?  :)

It's not so much that I'm looking for the total volume of space for bulk buys (6x12' vs. 5x8' trailers), but the larger trailers are generally the ones that offer more headroom, and I prefer transporting vids strapped upright as they sit. Unfortunately, I missed the Loadmaster/Slingload day of Air Assault School where they taught getting a vid upright in a CRX, or I'd be at Fast-Eddy's Used Car Sales right now! ;)

are you transporting pins or vids.  either way i usually lay them flat on carboard or carpet and then push them to the back.  no need to get in unless you want to strap them in. 

Ideally, both, but until now I've only gotten vids, primarily because I'm a newb with pins and I really don't want to defile a pin with the moisture. You're right, for pins the headroom doesn't matter as much. I was just hoping for a one-size-fits-all solution.

Just found a local trailer sales place not too far from here that offers trailer rentals as well, so I'll just head over and check out what they've got.

Thanks for the tips!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 12:52:02 PM by scarabaeus »

Offline Shdwknt

• Level 6: Knight Industries
  • Suck it
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 01:47:45 PM »
2 men and a truck :) done
Red White and Blue IGT Slot, SF2: CE, SF: The MovieNSM hyperbeam 100 disc Jukebox,

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 10:21:51 AM »
I know you said you can't store a trailer, but to be honest it was that best purchase I made while being in this hobby.  No fuss, no muss, no worries about rain, no tear down of the games, etc.  It made life so much easier!  Plenty of people have trailers for sale on here, I think Deadlander has one, Curly may have one, and I see them pop up all the time on sale-apps.  Just a thought...

Offline Shdwknt

• Level 6: Knight Industries
  • Suck it
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 11:00:29 AM »
Truth be told a lot of storage unit places rent ground space to leave the trailer until you need it - typically cheaper than a storage unit is to rent..  Back in Michigan the place I kept all my action figures had a fenced back lot behind the unit spaces and only charged a FRACTION of the price per month (I want to say it was around 10$ a month)

It might be worth it to do it that way.
Red White and Blue IGT Slot, SF2: CE, SF: The MovieNSM hyperbeam 100 disc Jukebox,

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 11:07:33 AM »
Truth be told a lot of storage unit places rent ground space to leave the trailer until you need it - typically cheaper than a storage unit is to rent..  Back in Michigan the place I kept all my action figures had a fenced back lot behind the unit spaces and only charged a FRACTION of the price per month (I want to say it was around 10$ a month)

Very true, lots of places will charge a small fee for stuff like that.

Offline viking1

• Level 3: Hologram
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 12:47:14 PM »
My Ford Expedition is perfect for hauling (1) complete pinball machine.  I may be able to fit two in there...but haven't tried it yet.  I always bundle everything up with moving blankets and pillows.   I did one "cross state" pick to the Bradenton and Tampa areas to pick up (3) machines (ended up only being two) and rented a 5 x 8 U-haul for $19.95 / per day.  I  picked up the machines, dropped them off at home, and returned the trailer locally the same day.   Worked fine for me.  I agree...Florida weather is always unpredictable!
Past Pins (all Gottlieb EM's): Scuba, Mini Cycle, Out of Sight, Sky Jump, Fast Draw, Royal Flush, Pioneer, Jet Spin, Jungle, Mustang, Bronco, Fun Land, Paul Bunyan, 300

Wish List: Gottlieb Wedgeheads: 2001, El Dorado, Atlantis, Strange World, Jacks Open, Space Orbit, Rock Star, Centigrade 37.  Others:  Gemini, Target Alpha, Mars Trek, Black Sheep Squadron

Offline scarabaeus

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 01:20:30 PM »

That's a great tip! I'll check it out!

Offline Coinplay Gaming

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • Coinplay Gaming
    • Coinplay Gaming LLC  - It’s Time To Play
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 06:51:20 PM »
I'm pretty happy I have my own trailer now.

My load and unload time is super quick now and no more plastic wrapping each game.

Coinplay Gaming - 754-314-8202
For Sale - (all working, electronically serviced)
Space Duel - Nice Original
Qbert - Restoration - using JRoc
Phoenix - Very nice original
Pac Man - Original Nice condition
Multicade - looks close to brand new (lcd) - has 60-1 (joystick and trackball) , can change other multi game pcbs

Offline HighProtein

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • Addicted to Progress
    • 904 Pinball Zine
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 09:48:06 AM »
I move 1 pin with ease in a 1999 Jeep Cherokee,
But everything else is tricky...
Trailers are a must for avid collectors.
5star:SMB/Rastan
Bmac:CruisinW
DicksOp:PacCocktail,MVC,AREA51,CENTIPEDE,BAGS&TROG
DicksNocatee:TMNT
DicksYulee:NoFear,Contra&MK2
Keg:Ven,JP,DP,GZ,SW,TMNT,Foo,19xx,CrazyTaxi,Tekken5,SF2,SMB,MVC2,NBAjam,PopNmusic,RevX,Tetris&UMK3 / JusticePub:BigHouse,Gladiators,Mario,SF2,SF2NC,Tekken5,Pac,Simpsons&SMB / JRseafood: Multicade&SMB / Players1:STH,TMNT,WCS&TMNT / Players2:DP / Players3:NF / Sneaker:Klax,SS / Soupa:MVC / S.O.P.:Galaga,Pac,&SW / SunRayCinema:Genesis,Deathstalker&SMB
VGR:Area51,CrazyTaxi,H.O.D.SFA3,SF2&WildRiders /
Walrus:PAC,SMB&TT

Offline RussG

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 10:27:30 AM »
That's the BS I am dealing with now.  I would love an enclosed trailer that is tall enough to not have to lay arcade games down.

Anyone know of ones out there?