Author Topic: Facebook groups are foul  (Read 818 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
  • Call me Nummy
Facebook groups are foul
« on: August 11, 2017, 06:19:15 PM »
So I've come to the realization that Facebook Groups are awful.. just awful.

I mean, obviously we all know the deal with online and how the Internet works. I've been fighting such drama for a quarter of a century.. but this is different.

Facebook groups are these little putrid conglomerations of assholes, douchebags, hipster douchebags and snowflakes. If you dare post anything that goes against the group it's like this huge incestuous orgy of poorly worded insults and tired memes. Don't get me wrong, i've even re-read some stuff before posting just to make sure it wasn't inflammatory just to get the asshole pile on because it's not in line with the millennial mindset anyway. And if you make a good point then its just fuck you!!!!!! in response.

I guess it's partly because i'm old.. but then again maybe not. I still prefer forums because at least if I'm going to get into a spat with you it's going to be more than a GIF or a 8 character response. I know national forums still get the drama but we seem to do really well here given it's all local. I think that's why the Tampa Retro Gamer facebook group is generally OK.. nobody is going to be an uber ass if they are likely to have to meet people in public someday.

Anyway that's my thought of the day.

Offline SpineyNorman

• Administrator
  • I'll have Double Jim Bourbons
Re: Facebook groups are foul
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 06:48:06 PM »
So...

It's like The Village then?

;-)
TANSTAAFL 

I'm available for parties, own my own donkeys. Very clean.
If you can read the forum you can figure out Craigslist, constant updates are tedious at best

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer?
Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Offline King Jelly

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • Little Shop Of Games | 24HourDistribution.com
    • Little Shop of Games | 24 Hour Arcade
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 07:13:40 PM »
heehee
24 HOUR ARCADE (v170822)
PINS: Star Wars LE #321, STTNG, Rollergames, Breakshot, The Walking Dead PRE, Hardbody, Harley Davidson, Road Show, Target Alpha, Space Station, The Addams Family, Pirates of the Caribbean, Revenge From Mars, Junk Yard, Elektra, MSF, Black Rose, Johnny Mnemonic, Black Knight 2000, Metallica PRO (Refinery #6), Dungeons & Dragons, Jurassic Park #3, Expo, Swords of Fury, Fish Tales, Jurassic Park #1, Star Wars Ep1/RFM Pin2000 combo, WCS, RBION, Demo Man, Whirlwind, TZ, Fireball II, Suspense, IJ WMS

Offline SpineyNorman

• Administrator
  • I'll have Double Jim Bourbons
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 07:30:50 PM »
heehee

Ummm That just describes the Admins.

Dibs on "Twatwaffle"
TANSTAAFL 

I'm available for parties, own my own donkeys. Very clean.
If you can read the forum you can figure out Craigslist, constant updates are tedious at best

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer?
Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Offline WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

• Level 6: Knight Industries
  • How many points is "TILT"?
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 07:44:44 PM »
Some groups are nuts. The local for my community is full religious zealots that clutch their pearls at whatever they deem offensive.

I have luck with pinball and most arcade groups. The hipster heavy group I leave as fast as I can.
Vids: Namco Rockin' Bowl-O-Rama
Pins: Eight Ball, Meteor, Star Wars Premium (NIB)
Redemption: IceBall Alley Roller

Wishlist:
EM: Aztec, El Dorado, Jacks Open, Jolly Roger, Solar City(Target Alpha), Time Zone(Space Time)
DMD: AFMR, ST Pro, STTNG, TAF

Remember Wheaton's Law

Offline King Jelly

• Little Shop Of Games | 24HourDistribution.com
    • Little Shop of Games | 24 Hour Arcade
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 07:45:43 PM »

Ummm That just describes the Admins.

Dibs on "Twatwaffle"

Leaving Cuntcakes on the table?
24 HOUR ARCADE (v170822)
PINS: Star Wars LE #321, STTNG, Rollergames, Breakshot, The Walking Dead PRE, Hardbody, Harley Davidson, Road Show, Target Alpha, Space Station, The Addams Family, Pirates of the Caribbean, Revenge From Mars, Junk Yard, Elektra, MSF, Black Rose, Johnny Mnemonic, Black Knight 2000, Metallica PRO (Refinery #6), Dungeons & Dragons, Jurassic Park #3, Expo, Swords of Fury, Fish Tales, Jurassic Park #1, Star Wars Ep1/RFM Pin2000 combo, WCS, RBION, Demo Man, Whirlwind, TZ, Fireball II, Suspense, IJ WMS

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 07:59:44 PM »
Facebook as a whole is pretty foul and useless IMO.

I find it a huge pain in the ass to navigate, and mostly pointless. It's largely "What does this do? Oh, that's it?"

I only have an account (with nothing on it) because it was required to enter some online contests/sweepstakes. Now I generally don't bother with those if they require Facebook.

I do have friend requests from various relatives that I've left unanswered for years though, so at least that's amusing. They really get pissed off about it.

Offline k7

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 09:54:21 AM »

we have the political sub for cuntnipples and dickcakes. :(
WTB:  Goin' Nuts
          Rock Star/Blue Note
          Jai Alai
          Strange World
          KingPin (yawn)
          Road Runner
          Nosferatu
          Wrath of Olympus...really...they only made 6?

Offline Big Al

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 10:09:08 AM »
So I've come to the realization that Facebook Groups are awful.. just awful.

Anyway that's my thought of the day.

For years it was the traditional #6 "Craigslist sucks rant" . . . now it looks like you have a new favorite rant. 

Dbl LOL.  I've never even been on facebook.

Happy gaming,
Big Al 

Offline Sid

• @!#?@!
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 11:27:23 AM »
Fakebook sucks! I've never had it and never will.
C.B.B.B.M. @!#?@!

Phil.

Offline weeze

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • 3 Inch Flippers are for the Sight Impaired!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 06:46:05 AM »
i am happy to point out that these word combos are truly South Park worthy!
IM like Niloc.my family gets bent outta shape cuz Im not on facebook. tufftitty fartballs I say.  ;D
Current Pins and Stuff: Walking Dead "kill them walkers, yeah!",F-14 Tomcat ,Hurdy Gurdy, Batter Up, Flipper Pool, North Star, Ice Revue, King of Diamonds,  Flipper Clown, Bow & Arrow, Old Chicago, Cherry Bell, Astro.
 Bally 873 slot machine
 Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.
also have the revolving door going on so some games come and go!
Past Pins: way too many to list. plus a couple of vids and assorted other stuff.
 WTB:, Gottleib wedgehead add-a-balls!!!!!

Offline Baiter

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 10:34:11 PM »
I only have an account (with nothing on it) because it was required to enter some online contests/sweepstakes. Now I generally don't bother with those if they require Facebook.

Smart man!  Facebook's UI is so atrocious I don't have enough bad things to say about it, or the way people use it.  I'm forced to use it only to get event announcements from local collectors.  I don't know why they refuse to use sites that were purpose built for that, but Facebook is not one of them. 

Icing on the cake, early Sunday morning @7:30am I wake up out of a dead sleep, "who the F* is texting me now" and I see it's from Facebook telling me I have a friend request, from someone I've never heard of.  As I'm gradually gaining consciousness I first say "I don't know who this so so who cares", and then "WTF why is Facebook texting me at all, I turned that sh*t off", and my sleep was ruined.  I looked it up later and it's a fake XXX account.  I talked to my wife and she confirmed that during Facebook updates there's a fair chance they reset your notification settings.  Great, as if I need another reason to hate it.   

* Disclaimer: the language used in this post was real and used to express my thoughts on that abomination of a social network.
WTB: Defender, Embryon

Offline Damon Whitney

• Level 5: Power User!
  • http://www.floridaape.org/
Facebook groups are foul
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 09:59:15 AM »
The internet outrage culture has been getting more and more powerful..

That culture of outrage along with many other online behaviors imo seems to be crossing over to in real life IRL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:01:24 AM by Damon Whitney »

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Call me Nummy
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 03:10:52 PM »
Here's the latest in the Facebook is an awful place chronicles.

So there's this comedian/singer called Richard Cheese. He basically does lounge versions of modern songs.. it's funny. I've followed him for probably a decade.. bought his CDs, went to a concert.. the whole shibang.

He likes to post political stuff on his Facebook page but usually you can just ignore it.. it's the normal Trump can go to hell type stuff.

So after the Las Vegas shooting he posts a message about how we shouldn't pray for Las Vegas we should enact Gun Control instead. Of course this is stupid for a myrid of reasons the main being gun control doesn't stop crazy people from killing.. as we've seen in recent years a box truck, fertilizer or a box cutter are just as effective. Anyway when people are just like dude c'mon he goes nuts and posts this:

It's fucking stupid. He's a singer.. his stage name is 'Dick Cheese'.. is anyone buying his stuff to hear his political views? Spoilers.. no.

To basically say if you don't agree with me don't listen to my music is beyond stupid.. it's not like he's that big of a star anyway and to be honest his schtick has been getting stale.. you hear one album you've pretty much heard them all. That said I usually pick up his releases when they come out but now I'm like hey fuck you buddy. If i thought it would matter I'd cut up the CDs i do have and mail it to him but he's such a douche I don't think he'd care.

So bottom line instead of a marketing tool Facebook is a great way to show the world what a tool you are instead. Good work?

Offline Yosho

• Original Member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 01:39:36 PM »
From celebrities to ordinary people, I don't understand why many people on facebook think what they write on their page won't matter, hurt their public image, compromise their security, cost them their job, ect.  Anything you write on facebook is worse than going into the public square and yelling as loud as you can - at least if you did that, it would be a moment in time accessable to only those with the reach of your voice.  People are dumb online.  Actions and words have consequences.