Author Topic: Pick up a Defender  (Read 207 times)

Offline Raven

• Level 1: Arrival
Pick up a Defender
« on: August 12, 2017, 12:56:25 AM »
Picked up my second non working game.  Its a Defender.  Never really heard of it till a few months when my friend mentioned it.  He said it was a great game.  Saw this one on the Facebook market place.  Been posted for 3 months.  Person said it worked when they moved it in to the garage 3 months.  When I got there and plugged in the game it didn't work.  Game wouldn't come. no life.  Brought it home and found that the interlock switch was reversed on the back panel and was off.  Monitor would come on but no game.  I took all the connection loose and sprayed them with Deoxit. Plugged the connectors back in and powered the game up.  The game tried to boot but gave ram errors.  I removed all the ram chips and cleaned them and sprayed the sockets with Deoxit.  Put the chips back in and powered up the game.  The game boots!!!!  It is missing an advance button in the coin door and some wire is hacked and disconnected.  Gotta figure that out. It does have connections issues though.  Need to replace all the connectors but the game works for now.

Offline halo12

Re: Pick up a Defender
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 01:14:30 AM »
Looks good

Offline FUNWIZ

• Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 02:12:04 AM »
That's AMAZING!  Glad you were able to bring it back to life. 
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline windsoreight

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 07:02:39 AM »
Nice looking defender

Offline Rich Jax

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • ...and sometimes the baar eats you.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 07:59:24 AM »
Well done, congrats.

You'd never heard of Defender before??

Offline ArcadeAction

• Level 5: Power User!
    • ArcadeMade.com
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 11:49:26 AM »
Looks nice!

Offline Raven

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 12:50:01 AM »
Thank you everyone!!

Well done, congrats.

You'd never heard of Defender before??

I didn't.  It started off as I was doing research for making a Mame cabinet and a friend asked if it would have Defender on it. I looked over at him and said never heard of it. Of course he made fun of me and said its only the best game ever. So I looked it up and said yes it will have it.  At that time I just started watching Johns Arcade videos and got looked on getting dedicated machines. A coworker saw this Defender on the Facebook Marketplace.  It has been posted for 3 months.  I messaged the lady and she still had and the rest is history.

Halo was nice enough and gave me another coin door with the buttons I was missing.  Still have to put it in.  I also need to order all the connectors to the boards and redo all the old Williams crappy pushdown connectors.  Lots of loose connections.  Where would be a good place to get the connectors from and which ones to get?  I am so confused on all the different sizes.

Offline Rich Jax

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 04:38:43 PM »
I'm guessing you're too young to have experienced the early 80s videogame boom.  Defenders were everywhere.
Go to Great Plains Electronics.  They've got everything you'll need.  Most of the connectors are .156 molex.  The smaller ones are .100.  Buy the trifurcon clips and pick up a good crimper.  Reflow or replace the header pins while you're at it.  Bring a comfy chair and a lot of patience, you'll be at it for a while.

Offline Raven

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 08:41:15 PM »
Im not that young.  I just didnt go to the arcades much as a kid. It wasnt till the early to mid 90's til I started going to them. I just remember PacMan, Ms PacMan, Frogger, Pole Position (one of my favorite games),and Dig Dug just to name a few.

Thank you for the info Rich Jax.  I will check them out.  I already bought a good crimper from Mikes Arcade.  I had to redo the edge connector on the Ms PacMan.

I would like to replace the header pins but I don't have a desoldering gun yet. So that might be a while before I can do that. Probably just reflow them for now.

Offline Rich Jax

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 09:47:05 PM »
At the risk of sounding like a cranky old man...all the real arcades were long gone by the early to mid 90s.  1980 to 1983 were fun years to be playing video-games.  You didn't even have to find an arcade they were in every grocery store, restaurant, convenience store etc.

Don't forget to buy the keying plugs for your connectors.  Nothing kills a game quicker than plugging in a connector wrong.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:49:18 PM by Rich Jax »

Offline Raven

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 10:04:52 PM »
Yeah I was only about 4 to 7 years old during that time.  Thanks for the reminder of the plugs.  I would have sure have forgotten them and would have been kicking my self in the butt for doing so.