Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 974 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
  • Call me Nummy
Star Trek Discovery
« on: September 24, 2017, 10:22:37 PM »
So watched the first episode.

First things first, the opening sucks. If anything it's closer to the opening of Enterprise than it should be. When you watch Star Trek you want to go on an adventure.. wagon train to the stars and such. The opening should reflect that.. instead we got schematics and somebody's lips? The music was also bland only picking up at the end when they invoke the Courage theme.. but its not Enterprise soundtrack to Patch Adams bad so there's that. Why does this matter? The show runner thought this opening was a good representation of the show.

The bit with them spelling out the Star Fleet chevron in the sand was stupid.. more worrisome the show thought this was clever.

The Klingons are like whatever. Honestly it probably would have been OK if they called them Eygpt-ons or anything else.. make it a new race.. everyone is probably happy at that point but we gotta use them 'memberberries'

Like we suspected this is basically it's own animal with random Star Trek references thrown in that really don't make sense in context. Everything about the show is wrong in continuity but they still use the familiar sound effects or name drop when they can. It all rings hollow though.. worse than that it feels wrong. Again.. why do this? Just make this a stand alone show in it's own universe and just stay away from specifics (ie no 'Klingons' and no' Sarek' etc.) you can still tell the exact same story and be better for it.

Hard to say on the cast.. I like Michelle Yeoh but I think she's going to get blown up soon? The main chick (Michael.. wtf?) acting wise is OK but how do you come back from mutiny? Gonna take some 'splaining I guess. Nobody else is really given anything other than the doom and gloom alien dude who was OK.

Won't bother with logic holes in the tech stuff.. like they don't have shutters for those windows, how shining a light is effective form of communication over light years, how sarek is just always waiting by the holo-phone and also saw this light instantly after it was lit from light years away.. etc. etyc. etc.

Finally.. big FUCK YOU to CBS for not even giving us a full episode just a tease and a link to their all access program. Was that really enough to get anyone to pay $8 a month or whatever it is? At this point it's really too hard to tell if the show will be any good. It definitely not "Star Trek" but it might be OK on whatever level it is on but with what we got who the hell knows? I'd like to at least see a complete episode, not half of a 2-parter. If you expect folks to plunk down money on only a fragment of a story it had better be mind-blowing which I don't think this was.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 12:57:09 AM »
They leave it on that much of a cliffhanger and then say "OK, now you can pay us for the rest." - yeah, they can fuck right off.

It looks fairly expensive, I'll give it that, and doesn't have the terrible lighting the Orville has (which really highlights when their FX are bad). No way is this going to work out financially for them though, it'll be posted to the internet and no one would pay for a show that seems kind of on-par with Enterprise even if there were no other way to see it.

Offline FUNWIZ

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 01:52:32 AM »
Seems like CBS is thinking they can charge for programming like HBO does, since everyone is streaming...but it won't work.  I like free over the air tv!  I'd rather buy or rent a movie without the commercials.
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline JimB

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 10:22:59 AM »
I'm opposite on the opening, thought they learned their lesson from Enterprise and it was perfect both music and graphics.  Very well done.  I could do without the new Klingon look but liked the show overall.
PINS - TSPP, STTNG, POTC, WOF, 24, STLE

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Call me Nummy
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 11:04:42 AM »
Weird, i like the well-lit Star Trek-esque lighting on Orville better than the moody Generations lighting they had on Discovery. Not that it's really a big deal either way.

Definitely disagree on the Discovery opening, it definitely reminds me of Enterprise.. somebody already mashed it up with that theme song:

We won't get the numbers from CBS streaming of course but it will be interesting to see how many people are willing to pay for the show.

Offline Hamster

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 11:19:58 AM »
i watched episode two... WAY WAY WAY better than episode 1 :)

let's just say, someone had a short role...
http://www.coinopflorida.com // http://freeplayflorida.com

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - eeguru

current: pins: TSPP, AMH, T3, ST:TNG, ST:LE, RG, RCT, DW. DE:ST, WW
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, (2) Sega Uni, Dual Outrun 2 Driver, OmegaRace, Ataxx, Reactor, Crystal Castle, MultiVector, Cloak and Dagger

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 12:50:56 PM »
Weird, i like the well-lit Star Trek-esque lighting on Orville better than the moody Generations lighting they had on Discovery. Not that it's really a big deal either way.

My problem with the Orville lighting is that it really brings out any flaws in the prosthetics - the sort of Klingon-eque guy with the bumpy head in The Orville gets it the worst, when he's in bright light the makeup looks like makeup. High definition doesn't do them any favors in that department either.

The Orville is lit like an office building with florescent lights overhead. Discovery may have gone too far the other way, but it hides a lot of flaws.

Offline Centaur Brother

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 03:54:35 PM »
Fuck CBS, I wonder what pinball machines will be like in 2250.
Pins: Avengers Pro, Ghostbusters Pro, Game of Thrones Pro, Lord of the Rings, T2 and Bride of PinBot
Valley Cougar Dart Machine, Bubble Hockey and Silver Strike 2007
"The Pin Cave" my game room

Offline scarabaeus

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 04:00:47 PM »
Never got to finish the first episode.  My DVR crapped out and I got 25 minutes of some garbage with Orpah and only 35 minutes of Star Trek: Discovery.  The intro was OK I guess, but I just fast-forwarded through most of it.  The physical appearance of the Klingons was a bit over-the-top and I didn't like that it was such a huge departure from the way Klingons were depicted from TNG onward. The fact that everything Klingon was so ornate made it seem at odds with the idea of the spartan warriors we've come to know. Hopefully, none of this carries over to the big screen. The SFX and story line weren't bad, but I could have done with less lens flare.  From what I saw it's not enough to make me subscribe to CBS All-Access on a monthly basis to watch it.  I'll probably just wait until the season is over, then subscribe for one month and binge watch the rest.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 04:14:41 PM by scarabaeus »

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Call me Nummy
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 10:45:56 PM »
So um.. I went to my friends house who has the CBS Flix or whatever it's called and we um watched the 2nd episode.

First off, one thing that's always been cool about any incarnation of Star Trek is the ships. They've generally had really cool designs that were logical and recognizable as belonging to whichever race they were from. It was one of the things that the world building really hinged on. The ships in Discovery are fucking awful. The Shzenzou or whatever was OK albiet somewhat generic.. but the Klingon ships.. what a mess. They just look like shapes with shit tacked on. The Federation fleet was just lame variants on the Shzenzou.. except they looked horrible. What the fuck guys.. how do you fuck that up?

The Klingons are a mess. Don't get me wrong I was never an uber Klingon fan but they had some endearing facets. At the very least a lot of time had been put into their culture and personalities. I understand there are licensing problems here but fuck me the new Klingons are just bad. They look bad, they sound like they all just got root canals and still have mouths full of gauze and what you can understand has this stupid annoying UH-UH-UH-UH cadence. Just awful.

So I guess the main plot is going to be this Klingon war. Here's screenwriting 101.. when you want to have a big conflict you need some investment. Your audience needs to like the good guys.. hate the bad guys.. and there should be some motivation on both sides to make it interesting. Let's see how Discovery did on that.. Nope, nope.. and nope. Seriously.. I understand they probably care layer up a DS9 Dominion war level of build-up but c'mon.. give us something other than "We need to remain Klingons and Kahless and stuff.. yeah!!!" (???)

Speaking of characters.. Michael really sucks. I mean the actress is OK but there's nothing there and what is there is somebody that just shit on Star Fleet and everything it stands for. Sarek says we should like shoot first and if you don't agree I'm going to beat your ass up. Yeah that's what Gene Roddenberry had in mind for Star Trek alright. Good job guys! I mean I see they are making this her character arc but its just so fucking stupid. This isn't a Tom Paris scenario she committed mutiny for fuck's sake.

Finally they are really dragging this out. 2 episodes in and we haven't even seen the Discovery. You gotta give us something to go on.. some reason to want to come back. Nothing in these 2 episodes have really been all that great and honestly the 'this season on Discovery' teaser didn't really make me interested in seeing more of this.

I'm sticking with The Orville as it's been OK so far but I might be out on Discovery. It's not just the Star Trek canon fucking.. I'm trying to watch it as it's own thing but even that isn't anywhere near good.. or even interesting.

Offline CUJO

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 01:10:25 AM »
+1 On The Orville
Current Pins: ST:PRO,MET:PRO, SOUTH PARK, WOZLE#947, BOP, FGY, TSPP, ST:TNG, KINGS OF STEEL, FRANKENSTEIN, DM, PHARAOH, LOST IN SPACE, STINGRAY, WCS94; METEOR, SPACE JAM, AMIGO, POPEYE, ALIEN POKER, CAVEMAN, HOUDINI
Video:  Vertical/ w/BABYSTAR 465 in 1 BOARD
Past Pins: Shaq Attaq, X-Files, Space Station #1, WhoDunnit?, Space Mission, Bally Lost World, Space Station #2

Offline ratsflif

• All your base
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 08:46:55 AM »
It turned out pretty much as expected.  They really fucked it up, they took the idea of Star Trek but really missed the essence of what makes Star Trek.  The Orville is more Star Trek than this thing.
Gyruss, Metal Slug 6, Neo Geo 4 slot, Operation Wolf, Shinobi, Aliens, NBA Jam, Omega Race, Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou Black Label, Double Dragon, Super Street Fighter 4 AE, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Unlimited, Cocktail w/60-1

Offline bjones

• Administrator
  • Game Collector
    • Gamestencils.com
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 10:59:44 PM »
I'm keeping an open mind.. it's not bad.  Has a lot of promise if they can find a story arc.  The orville on the other hand i'm kinda liking.  Back to old fashioned campy space romps.  I'm totally ok with bright sets and flaws in the makeup.  It's not like you couldn't see Data's flesh colored eyes or spocks ears.
VIDS:  Star Wars, Reactor, Nibbler, Marble Madness, Kaboom, Black Widow, Centipede,  Eagle, Space Ace, Gunfight, Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Mappy, Star Trigon, Teddy Boy Blues, Lasso, Pepper 2, Skycurser, Donkey Kong, Pleiades, Sky Raider, Missile Command, Gravitar, Night Driver, Turtles
PINS:GBLE, DW
CURATOR: Atari Hercules

Offline Miracleman

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 08:23:19 PM »
Agree with Jack 100%. This isn't Star Trek. It actually IS... STD.

I got about 20min into the 3rd episode and turned it off when ALL the characters started whining and arguing with each other.

It litterally made me sick to my stomach with sadness.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Call me Nummy
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 09:13:42 PM »
For the record I still haven't seen any further episodes passed the 2nd of STD (ha!). I only have a limited amount of TV in me and with finishing up Halt and Catch Fire, Football and Stranger Things starting back up.. plus stuff like The Orville which I've been watching there simply isn't enough time.

My friend with the CBS access has kept up with Discovery and says its been just awful. Apparently the plots are somewhat dumb and the characters are two-dimensional and/or stupid. From what he's told me it definitely doesn't sound like Star Trek at all.. which is a pity.

All that said, it's been renewed for Season 2:

Set phasers to renewal: CBS All Access has ordered a second season of Star Trek: Discovery, TVLine has learned.

News of Discovery‘s Season 2 pick-up comes just five weeks into the show’s freshman run. An episode count has not yet been disclosed for the sophomore season.

“In just six episodes, Star Trek: Discovery has driven subscriber growth, critical acclaim and huge global fan interest for the first premium version of this great franchise,” CBS Interactive president and COO Marc DeBevoise said in a statement. “This series has a remarkable creative team and cast who have demonstrated their ability to carry on the Star Trek legacy. We are extremely proud of what they’ve accomplished and are thrilled to be bringing fans a second season of this tremendous series.”

Following in the footsteps of fellow streaming services, CBS All Access has not divulged viewership for Star Trek: Discovery, other than to say its launch fueled record subscriber sign-ups in a single day, week and month.

I'd imagine with this being the center of this online streaming gimmick the pressure has been on to make this work no matter what. We'll probably never know for sure how well this did as we don't have ratings.

It's also possible that Netflix paid so much for the non-US rights that it basically covered the cost of the show.. but once again who knows. Bottom line.. if you've been enjoying it you'll get more next year.