Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 975 times)

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 12:40:58 PM »
I took the opposite path, gave up on The Orville after episode 4 (the one where everyone told me it gets good, but it was just another beat-for-beat Star Trek remake again) but I'm still watching ST: Discovery.

Not saying Discovery is great though. A lot of the science stuff is laughable. Apparently there's a giant space mushroom that spans the entire galaxy (or maybe universe, it's not clear) and by using the spores of this mushroom (or, you know, magic pixie dust - same thing), they can instantly travel anywhere.

They did fit in a few minor twists I did not see coming though (and some that I definitely did). Plus the science officer, Lieutenant Bag-of-Dicks, who was very prissy and uptight now apparently gets high on mushroom spores every time they jump through space, because he had to integrate himself into the navigation system.
Fun fact: the spores of real "magic" mushrooms are the one part that don't contain the psychotropic chemicals - so they even got that wrong.

It's definitely the series version of the Abrahms movies. More action, less introspection or thought.

If they make it a closed-ended series and want to tell a set war-story, that would be fine. Doubt it'll play out that way though.

Offline Miracleman

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 02:47:51 PM »
Not saying Discovery is great though. A lot of the science stuff is laughable. Apparently there's a giant space mushroom that spans the entire galaxy (or maybe universe, it's not clear) and by using the spores of this mushroom (or, you know, magic pixie dust - same thing), they can instantly travel anywhere.

Plus the science officer, Lieutenant Bag-of-Dicks, who was very prissy and uptight now apparently gets high on mushroom spores every time they jump through space, because he had to integrate himself into the navigation system.

UGH, sounds like shite, but like any art to each their own!

Offline PinFever

• Level 9: Grid Champion
    • Pc Gamers Battle company ( OUTLAW )
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 10:15:03 AM »
maybe this started Badly but I am enjoying this ride now, I am awaiting every episode . The writing and story has picked up even though been there done that ..  I always like the parallel universe Good / bad Kirk episode on TOS and this has taken it to a new tier/Level.     Better than Orville Now .   Let ST live long and prosper

Online RussG

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 10:48:35 AM »
My friend convinced me to start ST Discovery and so far I am on episode 6.

It doesn't feel like ST but it is good in it's own right in my opinion.
If you take it for that I don't think you'll be too disappointed.   

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 11:39:47 AM »
Yeah, still doesn't feel like Star Trek and isn't what I want out of a Star Trek series (and makes no damn sense in the timeline shortly before TOS) but Discovery is a somewhat interesting story.

It's very dark and action-oriented, things that were played for humor in the past (mirror-mirror) are now dead serious - but that's clearly what they're going for and it appears that the HAVE thought this storyline through on its own, just maybe not within the context of other Trek series.

Doesn't seem like there's much chance they'll wrap up a complete story this season though.

I still want a next-next generation series, set further in the future than anything we've seen before, go back to the "hopeful future" where humanity is at least trying to be the good guys and mostly has its shit together and just go out an explore new worlds. Some story-arcs and some one-shot episodes.

Offline bjones

• Administrator
  • Game Collector
    • Gamestencils.com
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 06:22:37 PM »
They lost me with naked klingon boobs.
VIDS:  Star Wars, Reactor, Nibbler, Marble Madness, Kaboom, Black Widow, Centipede,  Eagle, Space Ace, Gunfight, Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Mappy, Star Trigon, Teddy Boy Blues, Lasso, Pepper 2, Skycurser, Donkey Kong, Pleiades, Sky Raider, Missile Command, Gravitar, Night Driver, Turtles
PINS:GBLE, DW
CURATOR: Atari Hercules

Offline PinFever

• Level 9: Grid Champion
    • Pc Gamers Battle company ( OUTLAW )
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 04:21:10 PM »
lol.   
They lost me with naked klingon boobs.

May be the first Series ever of Star Trek that gets a new Capt after the 1st season ends .  I can not count Pike as he didn't really start the Series as far as TOS goes and all other ST shows stuck with the same Man/Woman . Even The Space Station one .  I do enjoy the series .   Something about The Orville doesn't feel right, yet I enjoy them too.
But not as much as the New Trek series /
Am I the only one? 

Online RussG

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 04:39:36 PM »
I enjoy it too, Rich.

But I'm suspending a lot of ST canon and enjoying it as it stands.

I am not crazy about the main character Burnham though, but I like a lot of the other characters.

I still would like to know how this all leads up to the original Star Trek when the technology they are showing is beyond anything in the original.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 07:29:03 PM »
I still would like to know how this all leads up to the original Star Trek when the technology they are showing is beyond anything in the original.

That is the problem, it would have been a decent show (except for the "spore" nonsense) on its own, but they were desperate to slap the Star Trek name on there.

It doesn't feel like Star Trek, it's not what most people want from a Star Trek show and it makes zero sense to cram it into the Star Trek timeline where they did.

Very minor spoiler alert;

The first season is over, the storyline of that has been resolved, the magic drive has been taken away from them, and at the very end of the last episode the Discovery makes contact with the USS Enterprise (w/ Captain Pike). So they'll do more with how it fits into the timeline next season presumably - but there's really no way for it to make any sense especially since this is supposed to be part of the "classic" Trek universe, not the JJ Abrams reboot where everything is shinier and more high-tech.

Online RussG

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 03:15:22 AM »
That is the problem, it would have been a decent show (except for the "spore" nonsense) on its own, but they were desperate to slap the Star Trek name on there.

It doesn't feel like Star Trek, it's not what most people want from a Star Trek show and it makes zero sense to cram it into the Star Trek timeline where they did.

Very minor spoiler alert;

The first season is over, the storyline of that has been resolved, the magic drive has been taken away from them, and at the very end of the last episode the Discovery makes contact with the USS Enterprise (w/ Captain Pike). So they'll do more with how it fits into the timeline next season presumably - but there's really no way for it to make any sense especially since this is supposed to be part of the "classic" Trek universe, not the JJ Abrams reboot where everything is shinier and more high-tech.

Agreed. Just finished the last episode and to me it felt rushed and dumbed down.
A lot of things just seemed unrealistic, forced, and I don't know....   :-\
Even with suspending Star Trek canon like I did it feels a mess, and overall I enjoyed it, but can't get past certain major issues.

It's as if they used us all and our love for Star Trek to force feed a show that felt like an alternate universe or a alternate timeline play.  And I'm not talking about the "plotline" but the entire show. Could we have been fooled?

And they took away the spore drive? When? I didn't see that happen. I miss something?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:58:55 AM by RussG »

Offline ratsflif

• All your base
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 10:46:08 AM »
I watched the final episode last night, total shit.
Gyruss, Metal Slug 6, Neo Geo 4 slot, Operation Wolf, Shinobi, Aliens, NBA Jam, Omega Race, Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou Black Label, Double Dragon, Super Street Fighter 4 AE, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Unlimited, Cocktail w/60-1

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 11:17:58 AM »
And they took away the spore drive? When? I didn't see that happen. I miss something?

It was mentioned in an almost throw-away line of dialog - Star Fleet command took it away because it's too dangerous, too advanced, we need to study it, etc. - presumably it'll be gone next season because it's both a deus-ex-machina that makes things too easy, and it doesn't fit in the ST universe. They always have the option to bring it back when they write themselves into a corner though.