Author Topic: Nintendo Switch in stock on Amazon right now  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
Nintendo Switch in stock on Amazon right now
« on: September 29, 2017, 01:04:39 PM »
Nintendo Switch in stock on Amazon right now

They've got both the blue/red and grey versions, $299 w/ Prime shipping.

They've also still got pre-orders for the Mario Odyssey bundle (out October 27th) which comes with the game, 2 red controllers and a carrying case for the Switch. $379 for that one though, doesn't seem like a great deal (or any kind of deal at all) if they're tacking on $20 for a basic-looking case.

I'm very tempted to buy one, but I'm also planning to get Destiny 2 for PC when it comes out in October, and I figure that will take up all of my gaming time for a couple months at least. What I really should be doing is playing one of the games I've already got, but it's always the call of the new...

Also still concerned about the defects people are reporting in the Switch - bad internal antennas, docks that scratch the screen, warping and bending, etc.

The real deciding factor though, is that I just moved money from checking to savings, and I really hate moving it out of savings unless it's a major purchase (car/house) or an emergency. Not enough left in checking to buy both a Switch (plus at least 1 game) and make it until the next paycheck, so... for now, restraint. Feels like forever since I've bought any new video game crap though, still haven't bought in on the PS4 or XBONE, so the Switch is hard to resist.

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
    • Coin Op Florida
Re: Nintendo Switch in stock on Amazon right now
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 02:16:26 PM »
i love my switch
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 12:29:55 PM »
i love my switch

I'm definitely planning to get one. I want to play Zelda if nothing else.

Amazingly enough they're still in stock on Amazon as of today. I suspect they'll go back to being hard to find by mid-November at the latest, with the holidays, but then plenty early next year.

Buying a new car this month so it's best for me to hold off for now, that and Destiny 2 on PC later this month - not much point in getting both that and the Switch at the same time when I only play one thing at a time.

Console + Zelda + screen protector + case/cover/skin of some kind + 128GB MicroSD card + Pro Controller + whatever other misc. accessories I'm forgetting = a decent chunk of change.

Offline Sid

• @!#?@!
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 12:41:17 PM »
I don't really get the draw of the switch.  Someone please fill me in.
C.B.B.B.M. @!#?@!

Phil.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 02:47:06 PM »

Just the new Nintendo console, that's about it. If you're not into Nintendo games there's no real draw in my opinion.

If you want to play the new Nintendo first-party games it's the only option. I'm interested because I skipped the Wii-U and want to play the new Zelda, as well as other titles in the future.

It's a hybrid portable/handheld and home console, so if you want to play it on a plane or whatever that's nice.

That's all, really. It's a Wii-U that isn't flopping, and the only Nintendo console other than the Wii-U that does high-def and HDMI. No where near as powerful as the PS4 or XBONE of course, and even less so compared to the PS4 Pro/XBONEX - but if you want to play the new Mario game, etc. this is the only way (well, other than emulation - there is already a Switch emulator out there, which apparently works and plays Zelda in higher resolutions if you have a beefy PC).

You can play the current Zelda on the Wii-U as well, but I never bought a Wii-U. Of course anything newer than that isn't going to be ported to the Wii-U.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:51:10 PM by Niloc »

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 10:49:51 AM »
I've seen the Switch in stores multiple times starting about 3 weeks after launch.. so they are out there.

I'll get one eventually but right now there's not enough on it to justify it for me. If you look at the Wii-U version of Zelda vs. Switch the difference isn't night and day but I don't even have time to get into the Wii-U version right now anyway.

Offline Mattspad

• Level 2: Villager
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 02:51:04 PM »

Its nicely designed. Good for all ages and easy to have 2 players. Nice portability for work/school etc.

Offline ratsflif

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • All your base
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 06:11:22 PM »
I really like my switch too. Zelda was excellent, Mario Kart and Splatoon 2 are both great.  And right now I am loving Mario + Rabbids kingdom battle.

Offline Shdwknt

• Level 6: Knight Industries
  • Suck it
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 01:16:20 PM »
Im not a fan of the sonic.. its ok .. but its just not what I was expecting.. it seems overly sped up for no reason.. I dont remember sonic being this "fast" of a game.. used to be able to take your time in the levels to find hidden stuff and now you really cant..

thinking about getting mario odyssey but the new COD is coming out soon so back to my xbox once it does.
Red White and Blue IGT Slot, SF2: CE, SF: The MovieNSM hyperbeam 100 disc Jukebox,

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 02:48:56 AM »
I picked up Destiny 2 on PC shortly after it came out, and have been playing that the past few weekends, but it just wasn't grabbing me.

Not entirely sure why, it's a well-made game, clearly huge-budget and well polished, controls well, nice graphics, etc. but a lot of the time it felt like a chore. At its best there were moments that felt like the good parts of the Halo 1 & 3 single-player campaigns - usually when you get in the middle of 2 alien factions already fighting each other. Those parts were few and far between though. Most of the missions felt too long to me, and there was a lot of "run a really long way, encountering no enemies to get to the next part".

It also has the same problem Borderlands has - trying to meld a skill based game, where accurate shooting counts, head-shots do more damage, etc. - with a stat-based game - where your gear determines how powerful you are, much moreso than skill. Like Borderlands this results in many enemies just being bullet sponges, which is tedious.

There also seems to be less loot that in Borderlands, particularly less good, useful loot - most of it is just "destroy for credits", every time.

I do plan to go back and give it another try at some point though - I'm only at level 15 or 16 so I assume there's a lot more to unlock at max level (20) and I at least want to get one of those Sparrow speeder-bike things.

So anyway, since I wasn't into that I wanted to find another game for the Thanksgiving break. What I should have done is pick one out of my Steam library, or maybe buy something on sale. What I actually did was pull the trigger on getting a Nintendo Switch, since I planned to get one in January anyway, and Amazon still had them in stock - which I figure may not last, and they may become hard to find again until after xmas.

Lucky for me, I totally don't regret it. I got Zelda: Breath of the Wild with it (I'll get Mario later) and what a freaking game that is. The hardware limitations are obvious. It doesn't look current-gen, it doesn't even look like one of the better X360 or PS3 games from a technical standpoint - it's very jagged on a TV, no anti-aliasing, and the resolution it's being rendered at looks to be quite low, I wonder if it's even 720p. The draw distance is pretty low too - details fade very quickly.

The art direction though is masterful - it combines the cell-shaded look of Wind Waker (my favorite Zelda game since the original) and the older Link of later games. Like Blizzard, Nintendo really knows how to work with what they've got.

I'm liking the split controller too - very comfortable just to have one in each hand. Good for RSI too, can stay in a very relaxed position. I was thinking about getting the Pro controller, but so far I think I like this better. Odd sensation when they're both vibrating and not connected though.

The game has 2 things I love;

1) It encourages exploration and just general dicking around - I love games like Skyrim, Fallout 3/4, New Vegas, etc. because you can just ignore the main quest, go off and explore and it's both fun and beneficial to your character because you're still leveling up, collecting loot that will be useful later, and so on.

2) You get get into some genuine "emergent gameplay" type adventures. I'm still very early in the game - I've only picked up the bomb power and the magnetic power so far. So I was wondering around, just exploring the map and came across of one of the Moblin skull bases. Those generally have a chest or two, but this one was well guarded - archers and several higher-level enemies with armor. I'm still at the 3-heart base level.

So I tried pushing some rocks down on them from a cliff. Didn't do much but piss them off. So I tried chucking some bombs down at them - that was working, but when I tried to just drop one off the cliff edge, I screwed up and fell off. I figured I was dead since it was a long drop - but I survived with half a heart of life left, surrounded by enemies. So I limped the fuck out of there as fast as I could, all while being pursued. I healed up a little - didn't have much to work with, and then tried chucking bomb back at them.

What I didn't know is, you can set the grass on fire - and wind spreads the fire, really quickly. It happened to be windy as fuck. So I wound up torching the whole place, while running away from the fire myself. That took out all the enemies except the one on the guard tower, so I snuck up to him, climbed up and ganked him - then claimed the treasure chest.

Awesome game.

Offline ratsflif

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • All your base
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 09:50:59 AM »
Once you have the glider, you can set the grass on fire and then use the updraft the fire makes to launch you up in the air to escape.

Offline Shdwknt

• Level 6: Knight Industries
  • Suck it
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 12:45:53 PM »
It didnt feel like zelda to me :(

You didnt need the master sword or hylian shield to beat the game.. like.. boooo..
it was way better than mario odyssey - but it wasnt zelda to me.  :(
Red White and Blue IGT Slot, SF2: CE, SF: The MovieNSM hyperbeam 100 disc Jukebox,

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 01:43:24 PM »
I almost bought Breath of Wild for the Wii U today but couldn't find any games to combo with it and Gamestop wants $55 for it used (wow, big savings)

Definitely want to play this game but still holding off on a switch. Going to get a PS VR this Christmas since that seems like it has more playable stuff.. the only Switch game i'm interested in right now is Zelda but i'm sure that will change.

How is it as a portable system? Looks a bit too big to me?

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 06:42:59 PM »
It's definitely on the large size as a portable system. Like a 3DSXL but then with the controllers slotted in on each side, making it wider.

Wouldn't be a problem to use it on a plane, but it's not going to fit in your pocket either.

Also, when I was initially setting it up at my office Wednesday night the screen wasn't doing to well vs. the harsh overhead lighting. Should be fine in most other circumstances though - but it's no Vita OLED. So far I'm using it docked mostly anyway - I'll use one of my cheaper portables to kill time waiting for my lunch order or whatever.

You'll definitely want a carrying case for it - I got the Amazon Basics one for $8 and it's fine. Got a glass screen protector too, also seems good - same as on any smartphone.

Might want to skip a protective case though - have to remove it every time you want to dock it. Nyko makes a slim one that's supposed to fit in the dock though.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 06:51:18 PM by Niloc »

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 06:45:21 PM »
Late on Black Friday and Amazon still has the Switch in stock. Nintendo actually manages to meet demand on something for once. Though I guess $300 + games + accessories is kind of steep for a xmas gift so that's probably a factor.