Author Topic: Total oxidation of components  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Pinner

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
Total oxidation of components
« on: October 04, 2017, 09:54:00 AM »
Recently looked at a pin that looked and played great. However,  upon inspection of playfield underneath and inner cab and head components,  totally covered with heavy oxidation and rust on almost all parts. Questions: how much would this depreciate game, or just pass on totally?

Offline busa32927

• Level 8: Psi Corps
Re: Total oxidation of components
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 10:22:38 AM »
well kinda depends on the game.  data east custom parts can be tough to find.  how bad are the boards in the back box?  i would also look at the playfield to check for warping.    u mentioned heavy oxidation.    title and pics would help.
vids:   246/256 (tekken 5 and soul calibur),  robotron, joust w/jrok, centipede

pins:  Star Trek premmy, ACDC prem, SW(stern) prem,  BM66 prem, GnR LE, jjp potc le, Woz, The Hobbit,  JP(stern), Godzilla premmy,  AIQ (prem), EHoH. LoTR, CCr, F-14

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook, Spiderman, GoT, Metallica, IMdn, Munsters, Grand Lizard, WhirlWind, BKSOR, Alice Cooper, RZ, BSD, Firepower, STTNG, TMNT prem, TWD, Gilligan

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 11:05:38 AM »
personally, I'd cut my initial offer in 1/2. no matter what the title, and no matter what the rest looked like, played like.

example:

come across a very nice cosmetic looking Indiana Jones. No Fade. Plays 100%. I'd offer $4000.

open it up, and oxidation. I'd offer $2000. not a penny more. let someone else deal with that. :)

with obvious rust and oxidation, you'll have issues. and a ton of them.
it's almost what you can't see that will mess you up. pins not connecting, chips failing, DMD circuits corroded, etc...
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline Pinner

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 11:14:41 AM »
Agreed. I figured the same. Ashame because it was a very nice game.

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 08:58:36 AM »
Styles on here found a HUO Popeye that was unplayed but every mech was white from oxidation.  Each mech can be cleaned and the reaction reversed but not by the un-handy.

Offline busa32927

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 09:20:55 AM »
did he ever finish the popeye? always wanted to see how that turned out.

pins:  Star Trek premmy, ACDC prem, SW(stern) prem,  BM66 prem, GnR LE, jjp potc le, Woz, The Hobbit,  JP(stern), Godzilla premmy,  AIQ (prem), EHoH. LoTR, CCr, F-14

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook, Spiderman, GoT, Metallica, IMdn, Munsters, Grand Lizard, WhirlWind, BKSOR, Alice Cooper, RZ, BSD, Firepower, STTNG, TMNT prem, TWD, Gilligan

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 11:01:41 AM »
Good question, not really sure.

Offline k7

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 11:33:42 AM »
did he ever finish the popeye? always wanted to see how that turned out.

yes, playability wise. he's still getting certain scoop work done and some nuts/screws here and there, but the thing is playable now.

it's a shame, that game only got oxidized because it sat new in the open box, in some ocean port near China or Portugal (I forget what was marked on the Bally box) for like, 10 years. game was built to US specs, converted to 220, and then just sat overseas in it's box. man, did that game travel like popeye.

it plays pretty damm well now. when he received it, the ball wouldn't kick out of the scoop and would hang up in weird spots due to the heavily corroded metals.

cosmetically, its' the best looking popeye on earth. physically, it's close to perfect now as well. :)

he had more patience than I would for what he tackled.

I passed on a TMNT pinball 8 years ago, that looked great outside, but the bottom cabinet wood was saggy and everything under the playfield had oxidized to the point wires were falling off of their coils/sockets/switches. the lady wanted $1200, I offered 300 bucks and was happy she passed.

kawi ended up with that game, ask him what it was like.
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline busa32927

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 11:42:36 AM »
thanks for the update k7  maybe he could post some pics. 

Offline wildwest3163

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 12:01:34 AM »
I passed on a Buck Rogers several years ago because when I opened the coin door and looked in, everything was green. Looked like a forest inside
T2, DM, JP, BSD, ES, SMB, Taxi, Frankenstien, SI, Gorgar, Harlem, Gladiators
Current Projects: Playboy, Xenon, Pinbot, High Speed