Author Topic: Bladerunner 2049  (Read 3976 times)

Offline RussG

• Level 9: Grid Champion
Re: Bladerunner 2049
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 03:12:32 PM »
I liked both.  I'm an anomaly!   :roll:  ;)

I am just happy someone in Hollywood is still willing to make and produce movies like these these days!

Offline Baiter

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 12:07:37 AM »
One thing I've noticed is a lot of people who really love 2049 don't feel the same way about the original. 

That's my view of Tron, but I like both Blade Runners equally.
WTB: Defender, Embryon

Offline proteus

• Level 1: Arrival
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 12:40:24 AM »
I just took a date to see it. I loved the original and she said she enjoyed the original as well. We made it to the orphans, looked at each other and walked out. I've only ever walked out of one other movie .. Gods and Generals.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 09:31:50 AM »
That's my view of Tron, but I like both Blade Runners equally.

I dunno.. like I said i just think it's different people like different things. I know the Internet is blowing up for 2049 but it also blew up for District 9 and as stated previously The Arrival.

I thought The Arrival was watchable but man I absolutely hated District 9.. once again for the similar reasons.. the script.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 09:32:37 AM »
I just took a date to see it. I loved the original and she said she enjoyed the original as well. We made it to the orphans, looked at each other and walked out. I've only ever walked out of one other movie .. Gods and Generals.

I honestly had a tinge of should we just go? towards the 2 hour mark.

Last movie I walked out of was I think The Thin Red Line which is also slowly paced with little actual story.. or at least the part I saw.

Offline Baiter

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2017, 10:30:33 PM »
The thing to reiterate is that movie underperformed at the box office from day 1 which tells us that people were largely not interested in the movie or it's subject matter.  Ex Machina is a better comparison to 2049, similarly had very high ratings and similarly didn't blow up the box office considering 2049 has already out earned it by a long shot.  That tells me the interest in full-on scifi flicks is lagging, as we all know 2001 or even the original Bladerunner would also falter at the box office.  It takes X-plosions to get people into theaters.... cerebral stuff is left for the critics.

Offline parolo

• Level 0: Inanimate Carbon Rod
    • Questions and Answers
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 06:01:52 AM »
I'm going to watch it as well

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2017, 02:22:22 PM »
I finally saw this. Didn't dislike it as much as Number Six, but I agree with most of his points.

Like Prometheus, this was full of promise, it looked right, it had the right tone, and then... it just didn't deliver. It didn't go full-retard like Prometheus did, it more just fizzled.

They most enjoyable things for me were the look of it, and the background details. The huge Atari logo was an obvious choice, but the smaller "Pan-Am" building in the background was nice too - clearly an alternate universe. Gosling's flying car was a Peugeot of all things too...

In the original, I remember thinking that Replicants were supposed to be kind of like Androids. Maybe with some organic bits, but still at least somewhat machine-like on the inside. Maybe I was wrong about that though.

In this one though, Jared Leto has invented... humans? Um... we've known how to make more humans for quite some time... I mean these are born as adults, and can't reproduce, but other than that they're just people? Also, they claim there is this desperate need for more colonists, but at the same time the Earth appears to be over-populated, so...

The "twist" ending didn't make a hell of a lot of sense to me either - was the daughter placed in the "bubble" for her protection from the world, or did she really have a compromised immune system? That seems like the sort of thing that would have been engineered out, if these are either androids or designer people...

It was long and it was slow. I didn't hate it but man, it sure wasn't great.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 02:24:16 PM by Niloc »

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2017, 07:13:00 PM »
It's not horrible by any stretch but it had a lot of problems.

I think with about 40 minutes trimmed out it might have worked better. Well a better script would have done wonders as well but I'm pretty sure that's unlikely in Hollywood these days.

It tanked at the box office so I doubt we'll be getting a Blade Runner 3250 anytime soon.. which is probably a good thing honestly.

Offline RussG

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2017, 07:28:19 PM »
It's not horrible by any stretch but it had a lot of problems.

I think with about 40 minutes trimmed out it might have worked better. Well a better script would have done wonders as well but I'm pretty sure that's unlikely in Hollywood these days.

It tanked at the box office so I doubt we'll be getting a Blade Runner 3250 anytime soon.. which is probably a good thing honestly.

It was still much better than The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. 

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2017, 07:56:06 PM »
It was still much better than The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.

Force Awakens.. not so sure.. but I'd put most of the Police Academy movies over The Last Jedi..  they have better plots :)

Offline HFK

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2017, 10:53:15 PM »

The length of these movies does really get to be a problem at times. It seems Hollywood thinks that for a blockbuster they need to push it well past the 2 hour mark. For some movies it can work if it has a solid story and all that time contributes to the movie. Unfortunately most times they throw in a bunch of useless crap that does nothing to help the story or character development.

Offline Baiter

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2017, 02:59:16 AM »
I'm glad Hollywood is pushing longer times because there was a time not so long ago that all movies seemed to be 90 minutes, which always felt too short for a movie, no matter what the material is.  I've enjoyed several 3+ hour movies in the theater, glad Game of Thrones was made into 70 hours of TV series rather than movies, and when I look for an audio book one of my deal breakers is whether it is less than 25 hours (my current one is 55 hours).  The more the better!

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2017, 11:29:31 AM »
Longer movies are fine if the plot can justify it and it can keep you engaged the whole time.

Just watched Patton again last night.. it's also nearly 3 hours but felt like about 45 minutes.

Movies like Blade Runner 2049 or The Last Jedi make you start checking your watch at the 2 hour mark which shows they aren't as compelling as their runtime.

Offline mcluvin

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2018, 08:10:15 PM »
Best thing about this movie is Ana de Armas.  I said the same about War Dogs.  The original Blade Runner was better.  2049 felt way too CGI'd and was way too long.