Author Topic: Thinking about PS VR  (Read 2077 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
Thinking about PS VR
« on: November 10, 2017, 08:33:11 PM »
So was thinking about the Playstation VR.

I understand Rift and Vive (?) are better but I look at it this way --

Full PS VR setup is under $300 now. That's the HMD, Camera, Move Controllers and a game like Skyrim.. I already have a PS4. To get into a Rift or a Vive would cost a lot more up front then i'd have to pony up for a much better video card.. so we're talking close to $1k versus $300.

Reviews tend to say its decent and not too far off the 'better' models even though the room tracking isn't great (apparently the room tracking on the Occulus isn't that great either) so best I can tell for a cheap VR to mess around with its close enough.

You can apparently also hack the PS VR into Steam and play Steam games with it albiet at the lower PS HMD resolution.

Anyone played around with the PS VR?

Offline Shdwknt

• Level 6: Knight Industries
  • Suck it
Re: Thinking about PS VR
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 10:00:09 AM »
I dont have problems with VR but I know a lot of people that tend to get dizzy with it..  have you played with / tested samsung gear? 
Red White and Blue IGT Slot, SF2: CE, SF: The MovieNSM hyperbeam 100 disc Jukebox,

Offline ratsflif

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • All your base
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 10:05:17 AM »
The room tracking on my oculus is excellent but I'm using three sensors.  It's hard for me to recommend though unless you are pretty computer savvy.  My setup requires 3 usb 2.0 ports, 1 usb standard port, and an HDMI port.  Once everything is dialed in though it's pretty impressive experience.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 10:13:58 AM »
I don't have motion sickness problems and I've played a friends occulus before and I have a cheap Google Cardboard setup i always use to watch movies on planes.

I totally agree the computer based versions are the best.. but even this new Microsoft Enhanced VR whatever.. the kits are $449 the minimum video card is $200.. and nobody wants to buy the minimum video card. So once again that's probably $749 at least.. and i just don't think i'd play VR that much which is what makes the $300 PS VR a cheap compromise / alternative.

Offline Shdwknt

• Suck it
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 11:20:22 AM »
Totally agree.. I have wanted to play the batman one.. but I'm not about to drop the money into a ps4.. not when Im playing COD whenever I have free time to play.
Red White and Blue IGT Slot, SF2: CE, SF: The MovieNSM hyperbeam 100 disc Jukebox,

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 11:24:04 AM »
Totally agree.. I have wanted to play the batman one.. but I'm not about to drop the money into a ps4.. not when Im playing COD whenever I have free time to play.

Yeah I mean i wouldn't buy a PS4 just for the VR either but since I already have the PS4 makes it sound like a decent deal.

They are really pushing the PS VR this holiday.. new version out and all.. I suspect they realize either this thing takes off now or they're out of VR which would probably be a huge loss given how much they've put into PS VR

Offline yesimbrandon

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 01:56:40 PM »
you can also get some pretty good deals on the PS4 VR from people who are selling them now.

I've heard people say the resident evil VR is intense.
Pins: Deadpool Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, Game of Thrones Pro, Doctor Who, The Shadow, Meteor

Offline Shdwknt

• Suck it
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 01:30:34 PM »
With the PS4 Blackfriday dealing being $200 for a system and game (with in store $60 gift codes valid after blackfriday) this has now become a very interesting proposition..

I have been looking now at PS VR setups and Im still not seeing them less than $300 for a full rig

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 01:56:05 PM »
With the PS4 Blackfriday dealing being $200 for a system and game (with in store $60 gift codes valid after blackfriday) this has now become a very interesting proposition..

I have been looking now at PS VR setups and Im still not seeing them less than $300 for a full rig

BF deals has the Gran Tourismo VR set for $300 or the Skyrim set for $349. This should be at multiple sites.. I think Sony might have it on their website even sooner.

Both sets come with the VR, Camera and 2 move controllers plus whichever game.

The Skyrim set should be the 'version 2' headset whilst people are still arguing if the GT set is version 1 or version 2. Apparently version 2 allows for HDR pass-thru if you have a PS4 Pro and some better cable management but is otherwise the same.

Offline Shdwknt

• Suck it
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 02:52:23 PM »
Gran Turismo doesnt come with move controllers, just headset and camera and game.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 07:00:21 PM »
Gran Turismo doesnt come with move controllers, just headset and camera and game.

That is some garbage..

Get Skyrim then :)

Offline the architect

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • Tournament pinball is fun
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 02:43:40 AM »
Skyrim very got terrible reviews on ps4. I bought a ps4 this Christmas mainly for the exclusive games and availability to play with my friends that are on psn. I was excited about Skyrim but what I’ve read kept me from it. I’m hoping when fallout4 gets the be treatment it’s with the kinks worked out
Jumping jack, rush pro, argosy,

On loan- LUCKY HAND

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 11:38:39 AM »
i would try out each of the different style systems and figure out what you like the best.

I have tried both the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift, both are good tech and fun, both of these units can be made WIRELESS with the support of the TPCAST ... No more getting tangled by your teather..

https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline MRK

• Level 3: Hologram
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 05:22:46 PM »
Dropped the money on the PS VR last week, Gran Tourismo package. Haven't played Gran Tourismo yet, but it is pretty cool for Pinball FX2 VR. Also played Pinball arcade with it and it is much better than working on the tv.
Pins: High Speed, Shaq Attaq, NIght Moves, Caribbean Cruise, Roy Clark, Journey Virtual Pin

Arcades: Arkanoid, M.A.M.E.

Offline Ghostcri

• Level 5: Power User!
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 10:20:33 AM »
That is some garbage..

Get Skyrim then :)

I've got the PSVR as well as the Rift. The PSVR is pretty awesome for the price for sure. I easily get motion sickness and had to build up my "VR legs" to where I can play for an hour or so now before having to take a break. Skyrim is great. RE7 is awesome, I hear the new Wipeout VR update is insane, and I like Doom VFR and Rush of Blood. I hear Farpoint is really good too but I don't have it.