Author Topic: EM Pinball Machine Bulbs: 44 / 47 / or LED?  (Read 1840 times)

Offline viking1

• Level 3: Hologram
EM Pinball Machine Bulbs: 44 / 47 / or LED?
« on: November 11, 2017, 12:35:23 PM »
I'm just wondering what everybody's preference is for bulbs when restoring EM pinball Machines?   I have some that are all 47 bulbs, some that are all 44's, and a couple with LED's.  I like the extra light with the LED's on a playfield with bold colors, and I also enjoy the older 47 /44 bulbs for a more classic look.  When I put an LED game next to a 47 bulb game, the 47's do look a little dull.  Do you guys change all 44's to 47's or just keep the 44's?  The 44's seem a little brighter.

Thanks in advance for your opinions,

Eric
Past Pins (all Gottlieb EM's): Scuba, Mini Cycle, Out of Sight, Sky Jump, Fast Draw, Royal Flush, Pioneer, Jet Spin, Jungle, Mustang, Bronco, Fun Land, Paul Bunyan, 300

Wish List: Gottlieb Wedgeheads: 2001, El Dorado, Atlantis, Strange World, Jacks Open, Space Orbit, Rock Star, Centigrade 37.  Others:  Gemini, Target Alpha, Mars Trek, Black Sheep Squadron

Offline 0geist0

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
Re: EM Pinball Machine Bulbs: 44 / 47 / or LED?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 12:40:49 PM »
Nobody will agree on this so just do what you like.
Pins, Stern Star trek Pro. Stern Mandalorian Premium, Stern Godzilla Pro.

WTB A small island
FS  My bad Ideas

Offline Neilhdz

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 12:54:53 PM »

Agreed.
Just note ... when you put in the LED's... you may need to squeeze the holder alittle bit so the bulb can make good contact.

Offline FUNWIZ

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 01:30:43 PM »
47's are 47 ohm and 44's are 44 ohms, the 44's use more current/amps and are brighter, and when you use them in an electronic machine, it pulls more amps thru the connectors, they get hot, causing them to burn the plugs/wiring/boards.  That's is whats nice about LEDs, they don't use much power to light up. 
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline Marcel G

• Show Organizer
  • Level 6: Knight Industries
  • APE Man
    • Pinwerks
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 01:52:48 PM »
I'm just wondering what everybody's preference is for bulbs when restoring EM pinball Machines?   I have some that are all 47 bulbs, some that are all 44's, and a couple with LED's.  I like the extra light with the LED's on a playfield with bold colors, and I also enjoy the older 47 /44 bulbs for a more classic look.  When I put an LED game next to a 47 bulb game, the 47's do look a little dull.  Do you guys change all 44's to 47's or just keep the 44's?  The 44's seem a little brighter.

Thanks in advance for your opinions,

Eric

At the silverball museum there are warm-white LEDs on all the EM pins. Color looks real nice and just bright enough imo
P I N W E R K S

South Florida pinball machine and videogame repairs professionally done on site - Martin, Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties... and beyond if needed.

Offline DK

• Account retired
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 12:57:29 PM »
If you're going LED on EM might I suggest to keep all colors uniform and don't try to highlight colors w color LEDS...

Offline 0geist0

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 01:04:37 PM »
I use retro leds for GI and cool white 2 smd frosted for inserts, from Comet Pinball
Pins, Stern Star trek Pro. Stern Mandalorian Premium, Stern Godzilla Pro.

WTB A small island
FS  My bad Ideas

Offline Redfox

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 04:04:31 PM »
I prefer LED's in EM's especially under playfield plastics (so there's no risk of them warping) as well as the head so the back-glass doesn't get too hot.
Pins: AC/DC, RBION, Fast Draw, Stargate, Cactus Canyon
Past Pins: Solar City, The Shadow, Bad Cats, Jack·Bot, Johnny Mnemonic, LOTR, Half of a Tron

Offline Centaur Brother

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 04:18:12 PM »
LED's all the way for so many reasons. You have many choices in styles so play around untill you find the right combination. Good Luck!
The Pin Cave

"Keep On Flippin"

Offline WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • It's showtime!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 06:10:52 PM »
Comet retros all the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline viking1

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 06:32:48 PM »
Thanks guys, as always, for your input!
Past Pins (all Gottlieb EM's): Scuba, Mini Cycle, Out of Sight, Sky Jump, Fast Draw, Royal Flush, Pioneer, Jet Spin, Jungle, Mustang, Bronco, Fun Land, Paul Bunyan, 300

Wish List: Gottlieb Wedgeheads: 2001, El Dorado, Atlantis, Strange World, Jacks Open, Space Orbit, Rock Star, Centigrade 37.  Others:  Gemini, Target Alpha, Mars Trek, Black Sheep Squadron

Offline Weeze

• "Stay away from the French and sick people"
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 10:00:22 PM »
stay away from the 44s as much as is convient but defiantely no 44s inside the bumper bodies, plastics and inserts. they are just too hot. 47s are abig improvement.
I use comet non ghosting 50/50 leds inside bumper bodies and under the inserts, theyre a little too bright to use on the upside of the playfield. oh yeah 47s at the score reels if you have them.
Current Pins and Stuff: Hurdy Gurdy, Flipper Pool, Mini Pool, Kings & Queens, North Star, Ice Revue, King of Diamonds,  Flipper Clown, Bow & Arrow, Old Chicago, and the one and only, past owners include Wayne Newton, Pia Zadora and half the Village ,the totally awesome and historic, "CANDY APPLE" RED Astro..    
  Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.
Past Pins: way too many to list. plus a couple of vids, and  assorted other stuff.
  For Trade: Hawknole's Dog

Offline k7

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 05:41:45 PM »

lol...this is fact. :)

I use 44 or 47, they're not on enough to cook anything in a home environment. I also use colored 44s in spots for that extra color light.

in general, I am not a fan of LEDs in EMs, although they can come out beautiful when done right.  :)
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline Weeze

• "Stay away from the French and sick people"
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 01:22:19 PM »
 I guess what K& says is probably true that is , in the home environment games aren't on long enuff for the 44s to burn anything,
However, I'm still going with not using 44s under bumper caps and by the score reels. if you have the 47s, you really should use them. I think of it as more about preventative maintenance then anything else.
Current Pins and Stuff: Hurdy Gurdy, Flipper Pool, Mini Pool, Kings & Queens, North Star, Ice Revue, King of Diamonds,  Flipper Clown, Bow & Arrow, Old Chicago, and the one and only, past owners include Wayne Newton, Pia Zadora and half the Village ,the totally awesome and historic, "CANDY APPLE" RED Astro..    
  Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.
Past Pins: way too many to list. plus a couple of vids, and  assorted other stuff.
  For Trade: Hawknole's Dog

Offline viking1

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 02:18:05 PM »
Thanks guys, lots of good input.  I might give those Retro LED's a try.