Author Topic: Thor Ragnarok  (Read 294 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
  • Call me Nummy
Thor Ragnarok
« on: November 20, 2017, 07:56:11 PM »
I saw this last week but forgot to post about it.. I'll be brief since it's pretty old now.

It's good. It's by the same Kiwi director that did What we did in the Shadows so it has that humor in it.. heavily. In fact I'd say this is just as much a comedy as it is a SCI-FI or Superhero movie. Marvel movies are always fun and have humor but I don't know that we've seen one that's this close to a comedy save maybe Ant-Man.

Definitely the best Thor movie.. good cast.. Blanchet is cool as the baddie, fan favorite Karl Urban shows up in a minor role. The Thor/Hulk buddy angle works well.

Downsides? They reach for a few of the jokes and don't quite get there.. there's not enough Jeff Goldblume. That's about it really.. I think you know what you are getting with these Marvel movies at this point so you'll probably have a good idea if this is your bag or not. If you think it is then give it a go you'll be entertained.

Offline PinPup

• Level 6: Knight Industries
Re: Thor Ragnarok
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 04:36:56 AM »
I enjoyed this movie also. Really loved the slippery, oily Jeff Goldblume as well, I could see him fitting very well into a Guardians movie.
Games Owned: Gilligan's Island, Joker Poker (YES!), DWHO, EATPM, GRAND LIZARD, STOCK CAR, 60 Multicade
Past Games Owned: Cherry Bell, Black Pyramid, Jokerz!, Hang Glider, Capt. Fantastic, Nip-It, Pro Pool, Dimension, Bally Supreme (wood rail) Genco Spitfire (wood rail). Arcade: Defender, Robbie Roto. (Got carried away at an auction on Roto, sheesh!) WTB: Centigrade 37, Alien Poker

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 11:06:30 PM »
They reach for a few of the jokes and don't quite get there...

Yeah, that rock, paper, scissors joke early on... oy that was bad. Loki maybe referenced Avenger's 1 a little too hard - I mean, come on, you get the reference or you don't, but all the rest was all pretty good though.

I agree, best Thor movie by far. I only recently finished watching the first Thor. I bailed out on it maybe 1/3 of the way through the first time I tried to watch it, years ago. Still don't care for it much, the Destroyer was cool, looked both good and just like the comics - but other than that I'd put it with Iron Man 2.

Thor 2 was better but still not really good. Thor 3 blows them both away.

Watching "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" by the same director at the moment. So far it's no "What We Do in the Shadows" but its got potential, and Sam Neill - where the hell has he been?

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
  • Call me Nummy
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 11:47:11 AM »
Ragnarok was entertaining.. it definitely tried too hard for a few jokes but nothing major.

Don't know why Sam Neil doesn't get more work, he's really solid.. but he just kinda disappeared.

I still think Daybreakers is one of the best Vampire movies to come out in the last 20 years.

Wonder if he'll show up in Jurassic World 2 or whatever?

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 12:52:20 PM »
Hunt for the Wilderpeople was pretty great too. Takes a minute to kick in, but once it does it goes quickly.

There are a couple logic problems with it, one of which could have easily been explained away, but it's a comedy so it's easier to forgive the problems.

At this point I'm interested in seeing whatever Taika Waititi does next. His stuff reminds me a bit of Edgar Wright.

Apparently a TV version of "What We Do in the Shadows" is coming soon, the creators seem to be involved but not clear as to what extent. Different cast and no longer set in New Zealand (unsurprisingly).

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 12:54:53 PM by Niloc »