Author Topic: Powering games on and off  (Read 168 times)

Offline Centaur Brother

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
Powering games on and off
« on: December 10, 2017, 12:24:46 PM »
I have a question regarding powering on and off of my games. As I put together my game room, called "The Pin Cave", I was wondering about switching power on and off. It was an unfinished basement that has limited power. As I wire it up, I would like to be able to just throw a breaker and turn on all my games and when done be able to do the same to shut it down. Is it ok to power on and off this way or is it better to use the on/off switch on the games? Any advice would be appreciated or experiences people have had.
Thanks in advance for any responses.

Pins: Avengers Pro, Ghostbusters Pro, Game of Thrones Pro, Lord of the Rings
Valley Cougar Dart Machine, Bubble Hockey
"The Pin Cave" my game room

Offline thepita007

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
    • DamnGamer
Re: Powering games on and off
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 12:30:40 PM »
I am using zwave power outlets, allows me to control the outlets from my phone. Also newer outlets let you track power usage.

I have a vera 3 (controller, about the size of a cable modem) to control all of the zwave devices.

there are zwave devices for almost everything (sprinklers, lights, appliances, AC, etc.)
WTB GRAIL GAME: Bally Space Flight (em arcade game)
Pins: Space Shuttle(WIP), A13
Vids: MAME (vertical), MAME (horizontal), Hydro Thunder, Police Trainer
EMs: Midway Haunted House Rifle, Midway Captain Kid Rifle, Williams Ambush Gun
Jukebox: Rowe CD51 (Touchscreen using XBMC)

Offline Hueylewis2

• Level 3: Hologram
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 12:38:51 PM »
I am using zwave power outlets, allows me to control the outlets from my phone. Also newer outlets let you track power usage.

I have a vera 3 (controller, about the size of a cable modem) to control all of the zwave devices.

there are zwave devices for almost everything (sprinklers, lights, appliances, AC, etc.)
I just installed a wink hub with z wave. Thanks for the tip on the outlets, I’m using it for the front door bolt lock and video doorbell, and was looking into other items to connect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline thepita007

• DamnGamer
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 12:58:21 PM »
I just installed a wink hub with z wave. Thanks for the tip on the outlets, I’m using it for the front door bolt lock and video doorbell, and was looking into other items to connect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best zwave device for me to date is the AC thermostat, comes in handy to turn it up if I am gone for awhile or just being lazy. With vera I can control my house from anywhere I have data or wifi so if I am away on vacation works great to unlock door and let people in.
WTB GRAIL GAME: Bally Space Flight (em arcade game)
Pins: Space Shuttle(WIP), A13
Vids: MAME (vertical), MAME (horizontal), Hydro Thunder, Police Trainer
EMs: Midway Haunted House Rifle, Midway Captain Kid Rifle, Williams Ambush Gun
Jukebox: Rowe CD51 (Touchscreen using XBMC)

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 03:57:32 PM »
i wouldn't power up a bulk of games with the throw of one switch or a breaker. basically it's been covered, but you are throwing a ton load of start up amps on a single line or whatever.  :)

I'd actually think a breaker would wear out fast if used as a power on/power off toggle switch. they go in the middle when they pop, so not really an on/off/on setup in any way.

also depends on games. power hungry games (like twilight zone) may not even function on a surge protector or when booting up with multiples off the same outlet.

each home is different. but when we did our gameroom, we ran 4 new lines, a dedicated 20-amp breaker to each new run, and have a maximum of 4 machines on each 4-piece outlet. it's been successful, never popped a breaker.

I'm old school...we power up the games to be played by their switch, and on a select few arcades where the stock switch is in the back (against a wall or whatever), they have a remote that powers the line cord up.

I know some arcades new and back in the day have/had to just throw a switch. no idea how they set those up.

good luck.  :)
WTB:  Goin' Nuts
          Rock Star/Blue Note
          Jai Alai
          Strange World
          KingPin (yawn)
          Road Runner
          Nosferatu
          Wrath of Olympus...really...they only made 6?

Offline Centaur Brother

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 04:36:26 PM »
The zwave power outlets sounds cool but thats not for me. I know back in the day at Rockys Replay would always just through a breaker to turn everything on and off. I have plans on running (3) 20 amp lines down here so power amounts should not be a problem. My goal is to have 1 line for a/c, lights and fridge, the other two would be dedicated to games and entertainment.  My major concern though is if the game can be damaged by using a breaker and leaving a game switch on all the time. 
Thanks and look forward to more feedback.

Pins: Avengers Pro, Ghostbusters Pro, Game of Thrones Pro, Lord of the Rings
Valley Cougar Dart Machine, Bubble Hockey
"The Pin Cave" my game room

Offline busa32927

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 10:31:09 PM »
i ahve seen where pool switches are used to turn o  a line of games.  the owner could turn on one row at a time.  i would call curly and also ask an electrician too
vids:  MK 2,3&4, KI 1&2, ms pac,  60n1, 246/256 (tekken 5 and soul calibur), lethal enforcers, NBA Jams, PP 1&2, robotron, joust w/jrok

WTB: Candy Cab and Crystal Castles

pins: Metallica, TWD, Stern ST Prem, MMr, GB, AC/DC prem., WOZ, SW Prem, GotG

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook, Spiderman, GoT

Offline FUNWIZ

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 11:33:16 PM »
This should give you some ideas, depends on your tastes.  My first game room had a separate switch for every game, so power was not wasted, diagram and labeled, to keep my parents happy.  This below is how most of my current rooms are done, this room is still under construction.  Top left are for wireless switches, plug in strings of lights and things.  Lower left controls the rooms multiple light sets, there's bright, 30% normal, black light or color and finally mirror balls/disco flashing lights.  Middle controls lower half of the 4 walls, usually set for pinballs, and right side controls the upper half of the 4 walls, for video games and neon signs.  Going away or a storm approaching, just flip them all off and your games stay safe.  Should a game start smoking, anyone not familiar with them can reach the switch and turn the game off, hopefully preventing more damage.  These switches are under a buck each, and the outlets are 2 for a buck.

Gamerooms back in the day mostly had video games, and when new, didn't mind the power flick on a bank of games. Pinballs were switched on/off separate, along with skeeballs and other larger games.  Keep that temptation down when flipping on a bunch of arcade games that are over 20 years old, something is bound to break.
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.