Author Topic: system 80 / 80A whoas...tell me what i did - slam tilt switch issue  (Read 252 times)

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
so I'm cleaning the switches under the center drop targets, as I replaced some broken drops a month ago (thanks kawi!) and didn't really play test it much until it got a workout yesterday.

I noticed 2 drops were ghost scoring on the bonus...a TON. so up playfield, game off, clean switches, playfield down, power up, test switches, repeat ghost scoring. after a few times, I just left the game on, and lifted the playfield to clean the switches up some more. without touching anything (I swear...lol), the game goes into slam tilt mode...tilt lit up, GI flashing.

power off, power on, repeat. slam tilted. bam.

after checking the 3 tilt switches, testing every fuse, checking for wire pinching on the drop assembly, I noticed the ground wire from the cabinet ground bundle to the lead wire was loose at the transformer. tightened all 4 bolts, still stuck in slam tilt on power up. so I just end up pressing the Test button about 6 times, and the game went to all zeroes and locked up.

turned it off, and back on, and it's 100%. what the hell happened? or is this just the "it's a system 80, dude...who knows wtf is going on with it...ever" :)
WTB:  Goin' Nuts (10)              Bigfoot (2)
                Cabin Fever (1)          Nosferatu (10)
                      Richie Rich (1)        Wrath of Olympus (6)

...and basically anything 50% off eBay/painside value

Online FUNWIZ

• Level 9: Grid Champion
Re: system 80 / 80A whoas...tell me what i did - slam tilt switch issue
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 01:55:32 AM »
Wow, after all these years, that Gremlin is still living!  I guess you never truly kill them.
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline k7

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 07:41:41 PM »
I guess like all system 80s, there is no way to truly fix one...it will just decide to work...or not. :)

Offline newtoit

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 04:50:08 PM »
I thought you could bypass the slam tilt on the board with a jumper. Not sure if this would help but check out this link. Go to section 4.6.6. Slam tilt modification.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Recommended_Ground_Improvements_for_System_80.2F80A.2F80B_Boards

Online FUNWIZ

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 08:28:17 PM »
Best way to repair them is to cut the incoming hot wire before it goes thru the filter.  If it never turns on, it stays in perfect working condition for many years.
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline k7

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 09:49:44 AM »
actually, I'm a little off on the system80 mod list...I have not done the ground mods, and have not modified anything outside of using wrong drop targets in use (couldn't find exact ones, but they're good to go  :)). kind of like having it as it was shipped out back in the 80s.

it's been working and reliable since I picked it up 10 years ago, I've only repaired the no sound issue (wire), and outside of some random lockups, it's been 1 solid devil.

was just curious on a possible reason why it went into slam tilt (when I was checking leaf gap on the drop target assembly, but touched nothing), and how mashing the test button "fixed" it...

new issue though. I cut that wire funwiz mentioned, but now it's not turning on. was I supposed to unplug the game first? someone else mentioned holding the hot and the neutral in your mouth during the cut.