Author Topic: Movie Review: The Last Jedi [Spoilers]  (Read 1192 times)

Online RussG

• Level 8: Psi Corps
Re: Movie Review: The Last Jedi [Spoilers]
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 11:03:40 AM »
The critical reviews here are all honest and viable.  I didn't like the movie much and think it was just another rip off.
Of the new Star wars movie in my opinion Rogue One was the superior in all ways.

Last Jedi: while watching I kept saying they recycled this from that movie and this from that movie....no real original or new ideas and the ones they had were awful.

The best part for me was when supposedly a capital ship for the rebellion which was supposed to be out of fuel went light speed into the main First Order ship blowing it virtually in half.  That was a cool scene. But how did that happen?
That's about it though.   

I actually loved the Porgs but I'm an animal lover.

Every other critique here before mine in the negative is all accurate in my opinion.

Offline PinFever

• Level 9: Grid Champion
    • Pc Gamers Battle company ( OUTLAW )
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2017, 04:12:35 PM »
didn't expect that from you Russ.  ;)
 Well , my favorite parts were .   Luke throwing Lightsaber away after looking at it.  LOL>>  Luke Criticizing where Ren came from and her destroying the island dwellers homes.
 Chewie eating a Porg and the Porg wanting to also eat (Cannibal)  what chewie was eating  / Lol
Poe going mutineer because Adm Holdo Seemed Crazy , stupid and  seemed to have no plan /Princess Shooting Poe / Snokes Trampling on Kylo with the name calling .lol / Kylo killing Snokes . ( Why didn't Luke do that in ROTJ)  .
 Luke pussing out of Burning the Jedi Temple down and so Yoda Strikes it down with Force Lightning ... LOL  Luke seemed hell bent to do it but with Yoda over his shoulder he was conflicted so Yoda Helped him out and didn't even call Out  FIRE IN THE HOLE  //  Then The last Best part Of Lukes Force Projection scene where after they appeared to Shell that hell out of him he re appears from the smoke and shrugs off the attack with his hand and just stands there .. ALL TIME greatest feeling of the movie if there was to be one was right there .  Then him evading the attacks to not give away that he was not there .
 The Movie put the original Skywalker series to bed so they can do whatever the hell they want to from here on out. Since 4.5.6  and the lesser 1.2.3 movies ,these last two Force awakens and The Last Jedi seem to just want to disavow any Skywalker legacy in the future. Now anyone can be the Master / Jedi / Whatever

things I didn't like..     
 No Snokes Story / Where he come from, What did he want /(other than the end to the rebellion ) 
Rens Parents . Nobody's or not.
 So now Kylo is the Emperor  ?   lol  guess he is the only one left to force squeeze some throats  ..lol       
 I enjoyed it if it was to kill off the Skywalker legacy but like the Petition . It seems a dark lame end for the series of Skywalkers / he could/should live a longer time than he did and had a bigger part to play
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 04:14:33 PM by PinFever »

Online RussG

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 05:08:14 PM »
Rich don't get me wrong, I laughed quite a few times including the things you mentioned. It just didn't feel like Star Wars to me. Some of the new actors in my opinion are meh....
If this was a movie on its own it might be better but that's my opinion.  A lot of us probably wouldn't be happy because of the such big shoes it had to fill.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 10:21:57 PM »
How to improve the Snoke scene;

It goes about the same right up until Snoke is killed. It appears the royal guard are then going to attack Kylo and Rey, but instead they all kneel to Kylo.

1) Because they were meant to guard the supreme leader, they did a shit job of it and are now hoping the new boss looks the other way.

and

2) Because it turns out that they were the "Knights of Ren" referenced in Episode 7, but not since mentioned. They were the other young Jedi who followed Kylo Ren after the rebelled against Luke Skywalker (for good reason, as it turns out).

This was the plan all along, for them to take over from Snoke. Snoke had taken them as his guard to prevent Kylo from having allies and too much power - he thought he had them brainwashed and under control, because like every Star Wars "evil master" character he's extremely overconfident in his own power and kind of a dummy.

While they're still kneeling however, Kylo quickly beheads them all with his lightsaber in one swift motion, because he's kind of a bastard and has no plans to share power, and also because of point #1 above - they let the last guy die pretty easily, so why wouldn't he be next?

That would greatly diminish Snoke in my opinion, which seemed to be the whole point. I'd still want some answers about Snoke, but if it turned out he had been a dupe of Kylo Ren the whole time, well I'd care a whole lot less.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
  • Call me Nummy
Re: Movie Review: The Last Jedi
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2017, 10:27:30 PM »
The reserved seats too - sounds good in theory, but my ticket said "seat 117" - get into the theater, and the seats aren't numbed. The rows are labeled... with letters, not numbers. So we just muddled into the seats we thought were what the kiosk showed and hoped for the best.

I still like going to the theater but it's becoming more challenging. I also don't like the assigned seats jazz. They don't have ushers so it's really easy to find someone in your seat then have to deal with that. Sometimes its also hard to figure out where the 'good' seats are from the graph so once you get inside you realize you are too close or one row back from that oh-so-awesome bar row where you can put your feet up.

I honestly don't see what's so F'ing hard to show up 20 minutes before the film and pick whatever seat you want.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Call me Nummy
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2017, 10:30:20 PM »
This was the plan all along, for them to take over from Snoke. Snoke had taken them as his guard to prevent Kylo from having allies and too much power - he thought he had them brainwashed and under control, because like every Star Wars "evil master" character he's extremely overconfident in his own power and kind of a dummy.

There are a number of ways they could have made the sequence work.

Rain wanted to kill off Snoke? OK no problem.. make it work.. make it satisfying.. Definitely having Kylo unleash a well thought out plan involving the guards would have made a lot more sense and been a lot more satisfying than what we got.. alas.

So many missed opportunities in this film.. that's the real crime.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 12:22:35 PM »
This has been rattling around in the back of my head for a while, and I think the biggest problem with the new (current) trilogy is lack of planning.

Looking back at Episode 4, we all know that Lucas had read up on mythology, Joseph Campbell's work and so on. There was a lot of planning, world-building that went into it, and Episode 4 was very well thought-out - even if it had flopped it works as a complete story. It most definitely, intentionally, put in the hooks for a sequel, but it still would have worked as a stand-alone if there had been no sequels.

Then the original trilogy as a whole. It's not perfect, the whole "and Leia is your sister too!" was kind of shoe-horned in, but still - there was a ton of planning put into it and it told a complete story.

Then the prequels. OK, they fucked it up at EVERY opportunity - but again, at least there was a plan there. Tell the story of how Anakin became Vader. I still prefer the new movies to the prequels, but with the new ones... what is the plan exactly? What story are they telling?

In Episode 7, JJ Abrams did his thing, he wrote a lot of interesting setup but with no plans on how to pay it off, no idea where any of it was going. They've flat out stated that in articles/interviews with JJ and Rian Johnson that there was no grand plan, or even basic ideas on where any of it was going, and it just feels like Rian Johnson just said "Well fuck that JJ, I'm not cleaning up your mess - Snoke is no dead with no explanation of who he was or where he came from and Rey's parents were just some junkie losers."

With JJ directing the third one he's now in charge of the ending, and he's proven repeatedly that endings aren't really his thing, so this will be an interesting train-wreck if nothing else.

So is the story just about defeating the First Order? Seems problematic for a number of reasons, the "rebels" were left decimated, and if defeating the Empire just lead to the First Order, then what will defeating the First Order really accomplish? There's a whole lot to cram into that last movie, because we're only about a half-inch past square one with any kind of overall story - the First Order took their lumps in Ep. 7, but nearly wiped out the Rebels in Ep. 8 - everything has been reset again.

The main thing is just... don't write a trilogy, an epic, a long series of any kind if you don't have a good idea of how to end it. It can be a fairly simple good vs. evil story (Harry Potter), but it baffles me that they don't seem to have thought about the arc of all 3 movies before making them - they're trying to make a trilogy, a cohesive story out of almost un-related movies at this point. It reminds me of Robotech, just jam some unrelated crap together - it's cool crap, but it's not part of the same damn story.

Obviously things can change that will alter the plot - Carrie Fisher dying, etc. - I'm not saying every detail needs to be nailed down for all 3 before they make the first one, but at least an outline of the major beats and how to wrap it up. These have none of that and feel pointless and adrift as a result.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 12:38:50 PM by Niloc »

Offline HFK

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 01:43:23 PM »
Have they explicitly said they are sticking with a trilogy now? I wouldn't be surprised if they just keep going and going until people stop paying to see them.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 02:06:03 PM »
Have they explicitly said they are sticking with a trilogy now? I wouldn't be surprised if they just keep going and going until people stop paying to see them.

Maybe you're right, but that certainly seems to have been the plan - plus it's usually a contract thing, actors don't want to do the same thing forever, their paychecks go up with each one, etc.

They're definitely planning to do Star Wars movies indefinitely - just not necessarily "main story" movies. They also definitely haven't ruled out a 4th main-story trilogy, episodes 10, 11 and 12, in fact I'd be surprised if that doesn't eventually happen - but with a new story and mostly-new cast.

But in regards to these movies, everything I've seen says that the current 7/8/9 trilogy is supposed to be similar to the other 2 trilogies - it's supposed to tell a complete story over 3 movies, but related directly to the other episodes.

The "Star Wars Story" one-shot movies like Rogue One, the upcoming Young Han Solo movie, etc. are planned to run as long as they make money, and the director of Episode 8 is also supposed to be doing a Star Wars trilogy unrelated to the main story - most likely set in another time period so it doesn't interact or conflict at all.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:32:21 PM by Niloc »

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Call me Nummy
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 02:50:48 PM »
Yeah it's totally obvious the new 'trilogy' is just a train wreck.

I mean even the first order doesn't make sense. The OT was all about defeating the empire and restoring the republic. The Prequels then setup how life was before the Empire, yadda yadda. They blow up the Death Star and infer the Empire is destroyed.. Ewoks dancing, etc.

Then with Episode 7 the Republic is back.. OK.. but somehow the Empire is back too.. only even stronger than before. How does that work? Nobody is sure.. we go with it figuring it will make sense eventually. End of Episode 7 the 'Rebels' blow up their super-super Death Star and once again everyone is dancing.

Episode 8 starts off right at the end of 7.. but wait.. no, the Empire wasn't defeated. Blowing up their mega weapon wasn't a big deal? They've got tons and tons more? Including mega Star Destoyers with the implication they have a number of them? Wait what? This makes even less sense already. Then the First Order knocks out THE ENTIRE RESISTANCE.. takes them down to 30 people. This never happened in the OT when the Empire was obviously in control yet it happens almost instantly now when the empire was apparently in a weaker position? What the fuck.. I mean.. it's Star Wars I get it.. but something has to make some sort of sense for this to work.

I realize there's probably some Comic Book or the back of a Action Figure that maybe explains all this but fuck that if its not on screen it doesn't count.

So it's a mess that was handled poorly and became an even bigger mess. We accepted the first mess because it was a pretty mess but now we're just sitting in a this giant mess with nothing but mess on the horizon.

They definitely should have just spit out solo films (ie Rogue One types) until they had a plan.

Offline tktlwyr

• Lord of the Slings
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 09:48:00 AM »
This steaming turd is courtesy of all the social justice warriors, the "P.C." culture and the continued lack of originality coming out of Hollywood.

7 was a clear re-write of the original and 8 just sucked.  Sure the kids like it, but I liked a lot of crap at 15 that I won't watch today.  LOL
David Paz
Pins:  AC/DC Premium, Gottlieb Atlantis, BSD, EB, EBD, IMDNLE, I500, Joker Poker, NBAFB, Outer Space, Paragon, ST:TNG

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Call me Nummy
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 09:22:46 AM »
“In this particular story, it’s much more like the original trilogy, where with Snoke if you think about the actual scenes, if suddenly I had paused one of the scenes to give a 30-second monologue about who he was, it would have kind of stopped the scene in its tracks… Even though it could have been interesting, something that fans were interested in, as storytellers, we have to kind of serve what the scenes need to be,” Johnson explained.

He had to make a difficult decision. Despite intense fan curiosity, Johnson had to make sure everything was done in service of the film itself, and felt that Snoke’s backstory didn’t have a place. “It was a tough thing, even though I knew some fans were interested in it, I also knew it wasn’t something that dramatically had a place in this movie,” he said.

Ole Rian Johnson has been on a bit of a Plot Hole explanation tour last month or so. Most of them require bending over backwards to work but I thought the above on why Snoke got no backstory was particularly funny.

Yes, the film's pacing couldn't withstand a 30-second backstory for Snoke but it sure as hell could withstand pointless sub-plots for Poe and Finn that lasted what.. half the runtime of the film and went absolutely nowhere?

What a joke

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 12:25:51 PM »
Yeah, there's no fixing this now. I hope for more good one-shot movies like Rogue One.

Not too hopeful about the young Han Solo movie - I think that one could work as more of a comedy, with Han & Lando it could be kind of a take on Lethal Weapon.
The movie sites seem to be saying that Disney didn't want that though, hence the change of directors.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Call me Nummy
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 12:49:17 PM »
They haven't even released a movie poster for Han Solo and it's out in less than 3 months.. it must be horrible.

Offline Baiter

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2018, 01:57:49 AM »
Not too hopeful about the young Han Solo movie - I think that one could work as more of a comedy, with Han & Lando it could be kind of a take on Lethal Weapon.
The movie sites seem to be saying that Disney didn't want that though, hence the change of directors.

My understanding is it was too much slapstick and too much deviation from the Star Wars "feel" including Han Solo himself.  If TLJ proves anything, Disney is ok with some slapstick, so one can imagine what it took to get removed from directing Han Solo.
WTB: Defender, Embryon