Author Topic: Ah geez! What did I do to this monitor?!  (Read 2208 times)

Offline scarabaeus

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
Ah geez! What did I do to this monitor?!
« on: December 30, 2017, 08:13:11 PM »
One of my Cruis’n USAs had a bit of focus drift every time it had been running for about 30 minutes, so I thought I’d just adjust the focus after it had been running for a while. I removed the back monitor shroud and turned the focus knob and PRESTO, it was clear. I marveled at the screen clarity for another 5 minutes, then I go get my wife to show off my “awesome monitor repair skills”. All of a sudden these vertical lines appear (that are wavy left to right) that make the game unplayable. I tried putting the focus knob back where it was, but no dice. Can someone please tell me what the heck I just did and any suggestions on how I can fix this?

(I swear I touched/changed nothing else.)

Offline FUNWIZ

• Level 10: Timelord
Re: Ah geez! What did I do to this monitor?!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 11:02:20 PM »
A connector has jiggled loose, check the ribbon cable that adjusts the monitor.  With it off, recheck all the wiring.  GL
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline scarabaeus

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 12:59:33 PM »
A connector has jiggled loose, check the ribbon cable that adjusts the monitor.  With it off, recheck all the wiring.  GL

Awesome! Thanks FUNWIZ! I’ll try that out and report back either way. Thanks again!

Offline Doublekick

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 01:56:09 PM »
Focus drift usually is because diode in the flyback is going bad
Monitor chassis recapped? If not I would recap the chassis and
Change out the flyback

Offline scarabaeus

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 03:28:04 PM »
Focus drift usually is because diode in the flyback is going bad
Monitor chassis recapped? If not I would recap the chassis and
Change out the flyback

It was recapped ~6 months ago and the guy who did it (paul400) said it would eventually need a new flyback, but in the meantime I thought I’d just adjust the focus when it was warm. I’ll probably start looking for a new one now, sooner that later, if I can’t get this worked out.

Offline busa32927

• Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 05:38:13 PM »
usually flybacks are easy to get and install.  go ahead and order it
vids:   246/256 (tekken 5 and soul calibur),  robotron, joust w/jrok, centipede

pins:  Star Trek premmy, ACDC prem, SW(stern) prem,  BM66 prem, GnR LE, jjp potc le, Woz, The Hobbit,  JP(stern), Godzilla premmy,  AIQ (prem), EHoH. LoTR, CCr, F-14

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook, Spiderman, GoT, Metallica, IMdn, Munsters, Grand Lizard, WhirlWind, BKSOR, Alice Cooper, RZ, BSD, Firepower, STTNG, TMNT prem, TWD, Gilligan

Offline Doublekick

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 07:32:45 PM »
They are real easy to install
It’s just the discharging part people Are afraid of

Offline scarabaeus

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 08:38:59 AM »
It’s just the discharging part people Are afraid of

That’s been my hang-up about it, too.

Offline busa32927

• Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 11:16:33 AM »
discharge tool is east to make. discharge once then wait a minute.  then discharge again.  that should udually take care of it.  oh  put a hand in your pocket to keep yourself from touching the chassis during discharge.  there are tins of youtube videos on doing it
vids:   246/256 (tekken 5 and soul calibur),  robotron, joust w/jrok, centipede

pins:  Star Trek premmy, ACDC prem, SW(stern) prem,  BM66 prem, GnR LE, jjp potc le, Woz, The Hobbit,  JP(stern), Godzilla premmy,  AIQ (prem), EHoH. LoTR, CCr, F-14

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook, Spiderman, GoT, Metallica, IMdn, Munsters, Grand Lizard, WhirlWind, BKSOR, Alice Cooper, RZ, BSD, Firepower, STTNG, TMNT prem, TWD, Gilligan

Offline k7

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 11:27:53 AM »
I've probably discharged 30+ monitor crts. I've gotten a "zap" noise once. so I always think I did something wrong.

at our old tech company, the monitor guys discharged 30+/- a day, each.

the only guy who ever got shocked, had his belt buckle slide into an outlet on his tech bench.
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 12:52:39 PM »
Don't suppose you can take a few pix to show us what's going on?
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline scarabaeus

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 08:11:09 PM »

Yes, sir! I’ll try to get some tonight or first thing in the morning.

Offline scarabaeus

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 10:05:43 AM »

Here they are! (sorry about the window glare. Blackout curtains are on order!  ;))  We've had people over for the New Year, so I haven't been able to pull out the machine and test for loose connections, but I will do that tonight!

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:08:12 AM by scarabaeus »

Offline scarabaeus

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 10:21:25 AM »
there are tins of youtube videos on doing it

I've probably discharged 30+ monitor crts. I've gotten a "zap" noise once. so I always think I did something wrong.

I've seen a bunch of YouTube videos about it, but one thing I've never heard addressed in the videos is: Do you need ground the machine itself somehow? 

Most of the vids I've seen show them attaching the grounding wire from the discharge tool to metal on the cab, but my machines are sitting on rubberized furniture movers on carpet. Does that matter?  Sorry, I know practically nothing about electricity and I'm a pussy when it comes to messing with it.  I need to get over this phobia with this hobby.

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 03:04:15 PM »
That looks like a sync wire has pulled loose.  Maybe a cap was moved and popped loose, or a pot has opened up, cold solder joint somewhere.