Author Topic: xbox 360 disc drive replacement needed  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Doublekick

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
xbox 360 disc drive replacement needed
« on: December 31, 2017, 03:48:53 PM »
who does xbox 360 disc drives??? i have an original xbox 360 that needs a need disc drive

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
Re: xbox 360 disc drive replacement needed
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 12:09:03 AM »
there are several "working" 360 consoles on eBay for under 40 bucks shipped, as an option:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xbox-360-Console-With-20GB-Hard-Drive-2459-O/273000636395?hash=item3f901b1feb:g:K9QAAOSwA~VaRS~x

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xbox-360-Console-With-120GB-Hard-Drive-2457-O/263408574401?hash=item3d545fdfc1:g:ekEAAOSwdJ9aRSuC

I had a 360 here in my fix pile, but I don't remember what I did with it. there seems to be issues getting the right DVD drive to match up with defective 360s...good luck.  :)
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline Doublekick

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 04:30:15 AM »
Every drive is flashed to the console
You have to flash the drive to make it recognize by the motherboard

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 12:50:33 PM »
I thought the drives were 'married' as well but friend said he's swapped them and it worked? who knows. He has no 'hacking' experience so he would have straight swapped.

I remembering flashing my drive with a new firmware back in the day to let it read DVDRs before Microsoft shut that down (and all the XBOXs red ringed anyway). If i recall getting the case open was a PITA but that was an OG 360.

Other than eBay every Pawn Shop around here is loaded with XBOX 360s for peanuts.. $30-$60 depending on the model. I'd just buy a new 360 and swap the HDD...

Offline Doublekick

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 01:50:04 PM »
I actually have a drive for the system
I thought these had to be flashed but I’ll just try replacing it first
 before buying a different system

Offline Shdwknt

• Level 6: Knight Industries
  • Suck it
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 03:09:25 PM »
Yes the drives are married to the motherboards.. if the drive is dead there is no way to get the key from it so that another can be flashed to it.. 

whats wrong with your drive does it not read disc or not work at all?  If it can be powered up - might be able to dump the key/firmware from it so that you can flash another drive with the correct key.. but its all gotten so complicated these days.. it would be so much easier to buy a whole other system than it would be to mess with the dvd key.. yank the hdd out of the system and toss it.

Thats my vote.
Red White and Blue IGT Slot, SF2: CE, SF: The MovieNSM hyperbeam 100 disc Jukebox,

Offline Doublekick

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 04:04:47 PM »
The drive got stuck one day and it wouldn’t open
I didn’t force it to open then after pushing the eject button
A couple of times it finally opened and when it opened one
Of the gears was broken because pieces came out with it
So my vote is to toss it in the garbage too
Because I just bought 2 working units for next to nothing
Problem solved

Yes the drives are married to the motherboards.. if the drive is dead there is no way to get the key from it so that another can be flashed to it.. 

whats wrong with your drive does it not read disc or not work at all?  If it can be powered up - might be able to dump the key/firmware from it so that you can flash another drive with the correct key.. but its all gotten so complicated these days.. it would be so much easier to buy a whole other system than it would be to mess with the dvd key.. yank the hdd out of the system and toss it.

Thats my vote.

Offline Shdwknt

• Level 6: Knight Industries
  • Suck it
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 01:27:10 PM »
well the gears could have probably been repaired.. but ya replacing the whole drive is a pain because of the dvdrom keys flashed into the firmware, and then depending on what version of the 360, what drive, slim, fat, E etc.. the key dumping and reflashing basically becomes an engineering nightmare. 

You made the right choice.. enjoy!
Red White and Blue IGT Slot, SF2: CE, SF: The MovieNSM hyperbeam 100 disc Jukebox,