Author Topic: American Assassin  (Read 182 times)

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
American Assassin
« on: January 02, 2018, 12:41:44 AM »
American Assassin - just caught this one. Decent movie, nothing amazing but entertaining, watchable. It's a standard-issue action/spy/thriller. Quite violent as you'd expect.

The lead actor who plays "Rapp" is about as bland and uninteresting as they come though, but not offensively bad. Very clearly a young pretty-boy type actor who they're trying to turn in to an action star though.
Michael Keaton is solid as usual, continues his comeback.

One thing that baffles me though, didn't the advertising and trailers present this as sort of a dark comedy? Or at least having some element of humor? Because there was absolutely none of that in this, not even any attempts at humor.
It was as dour as Siccario but not as good.

Offline ratsflif

• All your base
Re: American Assassin
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 12:54:45 PM »
I thought it was terrible, started out interesting enough but went downhill fast.  I turned it off, don't even care how it ended.
Gyruss, Metal Slug 6, Neo Geo 4 slot, Operation Wolf, Shinobi, Aliens, NBA Jam, Omega Race, Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou Black Label, Double Dragon, Super Street Fighter 4 AE, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Unlimited, Cocktail w/60-1

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
Re: American Assassin
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 01:32:00 PM »
I unintentionally wound up seeing a trilogy of "American" movies just recently, in addition to American Assassin, also saw;

American Made - Tom Cruise. Did you see "Blow" with Johnny Depp? American Made is Blow, but not nearly as good. Hollywood has done very well with the "loosely based on a true story" movies, but god damn, they're running out of true stories at this point.

American Ultra - Watchable, but not great. Really, really implausible. I give the movie credit for having an explanation as to why the cops never show up, despite all the gunfire, explosions and other noise - but none of the locals in the small town where this takes place ever seem to take an interest either. I think this was intended to be a comedy, but it's not funny enough to qualify.

Then one that doesn't fit the pattern, on to the "B" section I guess;

Black Mass - Mob movie - but the Irish Mob this time rather than the Mafia. Same thing as with American Made, "based on a true story" but they've apparently run out of good ones. This is just not very interesting. Sure "Whitey" is kind of a psycho, that's a pre-requisite to be a mob boss, but he doesn't really do anything remarkable. Yup, crime - that's his job.

They completely skip how he evaded the FBI for years too, I mean presumably it was just by laying low but really that was the most notable thing about the guy.