Author Topic: Areosmith/Stern games looking bare.  (Read 591 times)

Offline chillie

• Level 2: Villager
Areosmith/Stern games looking bare.
« on: January 08, 2018, 01:36:46 PM »
Guys, I recently took delivery of an Areosmith Pro. I had played a few games on one and as I like Music pins decided to add the title.

I unbox it and think wow the playfield is bare (Sitting next to ACDC)

So I start playing it and its instantly growing on me. We have a New Years party and I have a big game. Not really knowing how I managed a decent score I read up on play strategies. Nice thread on pinside.

I start to try out suggestions and I am enjoying the game even more.

So with all the comments that Stern have reduced the BOM my personal opinion is that the playfield works due to the programming.  Love it.

I have not played Star wars not Guardians as such I am interested in others opinions if the same applies

Am I alone or do others find the same as I am experiencing.

Chris

Offline busa32927

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
Re: Areosmith/Stern games looking bare.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 02:07:35 PM »
there probably be a bunch of responses to your post.  for me its simple.  amount of stuff on the playfield doesnt equal fun level of the game.  its an opinion of what the game looks like when it is turned off.   also the type of game can dictate what stuff is on the playfield.  fast and flow games have a tendency not to have a lot of stuff on it.    it all depends on what you classify as fun.  SW is stupid fast and GotG is very quick.  GB is great but is a totally different game.
vids:  MK 2,3&4, KI 1&2, ms pac,  60n1, 246/256 (tekken 5 and soul calibur), lethal enforcers, NBA Jams, PP 1&2, robotron, joust w/jrok

WTB: Candy Cab, Crystal Castles, RZ, Stargate, judge dread, and KISS

pins: TWD, Metallica, GB, GotG, BM66 prem, SW prem, ACDC prem, ST prem, WoZ

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook, Spiderman, GoT

Offline chillie

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 02:34:49 PM »
Agree wide open discussion, I concede that I have always been drawn to open playfield style. I thought it was that I am a bad player, I like to see whats going on. Your comments hit the nail on the head, flow wins as = fun.

Add great lighting and effects guess that's me.

Looking forward to playing SW and Guardians.

Offline Hueylewis2

• Level 3: Hologram
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 02:54:51 PM »
Guys, I recently took delivery of an Areosmith Pro. I had played a few games on one and as I like Music pins decided to add the title.

I unbox it and think wow the playfield is bare (Sitting next to ACDC)

So I start playing it and its instantly growing on me. We have a New Years party and I have a big game. Not really knowing how I managed a decent score I read up on play strategies. Nice thread on pinside.

I start to try out suggestions and I am enjoying the game even more.

So with all the comments that Stern have reduced the BOM my personal opinion is that the playfield works due to the programming.  Love it.

I have not played Star wars not Guardians as such I am interested in others opinions if the same applies

Am I alone or do others find the same as I am experiencing.

Chris
I got the side blades and the orange protectors as well as a light in toy box. It really pops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online deadlander

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 04:04:40 PM »
Aerosmith has good rules the risk reward factor of the toy box is what makes the game fun. GOTG is fast fun rules need a bit of tweaking (groot shot has too much value) but what new stern doesn’t need software updates. As far as number of toys equals more fun I argue afm and mm are pretty open and are probably the most favorite modern era games out there.  Software and game rules make the pin. Hope stern is listening.
Regards
Al
Danny,  there's a lot of.... Well badness in the world today. I see it in the court everyday. I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber.... didn't want to do it.... felt I owed it to them.

Offline the architect

• Tournament pinball is fun
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 07:02:38 PM »
Here’s my philosophy- if when adding toys you need to also add a ball save, toy is shit.

My opinion on stern code is that they just keep adding and subtracting small amounts of items and changing the art/sound/display and...... BOOM! We’ve got a new game!!! Only this time it’s 5.5k, then 5.6k, then 6k....   

See where I’m going here?  Stern is riding the wave of “only manufacturer in the world” still from the early 2k/2010s, once that’s over licenses, theme, display won’t save them. They’re being very greedy right now and I gotta tell you, it’s a nice time to clean up the older titles people are throwing out to buy “the next new stern”.

Stern hasn’t impressed me since kiss and I still feel as though they’ve abondonded they’re buyers on the coding. Btw, what’s the point of releasing code a year after the games been released? When is this ok in other hobby/leisure markets?
wants- nice examples of:      CP, nugent, 2001,  snow derby, Grand Prix, surfer, BSD, FGordon, TAF

current pins:
AC/DC premium, WW, WCS94, WOF, Volley, GotG, twd premium, IM vault, Central Park, pinball (stern EM), Jungle princess (EM), Medusa, alien star,  skateball

http://s468.photobucket.com/user/crewcontractors/library/?sort=3&postlogin=true&src=wap&page=1

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 08:04:23 PM »
Ive always wondered about the code thing.  I can understand someone being pissed about unfinished code, but is there any truth about titles needing some time to marinade in the marketplace, hence feedback from the field and more code added to enhance the game and even take it in another direction?  Do we expect a game to have rules and features that completely max the games performance right out of the box?

Offline Hueylewis2

• Level 3: Hologram
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 10:37:45 PM »
Here’s my philosophy- if when adding toys you need to also add a ball save, toy is shit.

My opinion on stern code is that they just keep adding and subtracting small amounts of items and changing the art/sound/display and...... BOOM! We’ve got a new game!!! Only this time it’s 5.5k, then 5.6k, then 6k....   

See where I’m going here?  Stern is riding the wave of “only manufacturer in the world” still from the early 2k/2010s, once that’s over licenses, theme, display won’t save them. They’re being very greedy right now and I gotta tell you, it’s a nice time to clean up the older titles people are throwing out to buy “the next new stern”.

Stern hasn’t impressed me since kiss and I still feel as though they’ve abondonded they’re buyers on the coding. Btw, what’s the point of releasing code a year after the games been released? When is this ok in other hobby/leisure markets?
Why all the hate? If you don’t like them, don’t buy them. Price is supply and demand, and if you don’t like them, price isn’t a factor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline busa32927

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 11:07:30 PM »
the market has majorly changed.  no longer are games coded for location.  games are coded for home use.  if you bought a new game and finished it in a month you wouldnt buy another game.  game code is much deeper than ever before.  game updates have been around since the internet and will never go away.  keep the updates.  keep refining the game.  heck you cant buy a ps4 game these days without a day 1 update. JJP updated WoZ and Hobbit after a year.  but no one is crying about that.  no one cared about total nuclear annihilation not having 1 toy.  people are going to gripe and never be happy. 

play the games and enjoy them
vids:  MK 2,3&4, KI 1&2, ms pac,  60n1, 246/256 (tekken 5 and soul calibur), lethal enforcers, NBA Jams, PP 1&2, robotron, joust w/jrok

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook, Spiderman, GoT

Offline Pchdetc

• Level 5: Power User!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 11:29:37 PM »
the market has majorly changed.  no longer are games coded for location.  games are coded for home use.  if you bought a new game and finished it in a month you wouldnt buy another game.  game code is much deeper than ever before.  game updates have been around since the internet and will never go away.  keep the updates.  keep refining the game.  heck you cant buy a ps4 game these days without a day 1 update. JJP updated WoZ and Hobbit after a year.  but no one is crying about that.  no one cared about total nuclear annihilation not having 1 toy.  people are going to gripe and never be happy. 

play the games and enjoy them

I agree. All ideas on this thread are spot on. Ive owned many Stern pins as well as older pins. Mine have come and gone and sometimes bought again... all for the same reason. Only have so much room and when playing the latest pin they come and go. Buy what you like and be happy. If it doesnt sell it/trade it, etc.

My goto pin has been Iron Man Vault.. fast and fun. Along with ACDC Premium. For me they are both great pins.
Current pins: Iron Man Vault Edition. More to come in 2018

Past pins: No room to keep them all.

Offline the architect

• Tournament pinball is fun
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 07:42:02 AM »
 Yeah sorry to come off as a stern hater. When I got out of the gym yesterday I was Ohio and endorphins writing that long winded response..

I don’t think so much of hate thing, as it is seeming almost discourteous these days.  I know most the guys haven’t been around for a long time, but if you look at Stearns track record you can literally see the salivating going on. I totally agree with the sentiment of by what you like, and leave the rest.  However I don’t think that rule applies to every game let me give you an example

Spiderman, first game I ever bought brand new from curly. Open the box after I get home super excited to play it has orange play field inserts Where the spiders are. No normally at the time people were getting playfield replacements for stuff like this things of that nature. However, because so many people abuse that they sent me a signs stern translite,  and acted like it was cool that I had gotten a rare item. I thought just the office it as Spiderman has never been fucking orange.

Fast-forward to be buying a Metallica LE  I buy the game from a guy New York year after he came out dish, the new code hasn’t dropped so I get to game for right around 7000 shipped. Which at the time was a steel. Again, stern had created a situation where people are fucking pissed about the coding and they were needing to retrace their steps because they have really stepped in it this time, so I had gotten a hold of a game where somebody was fed up and never  got to see the potential of their game.

What is that all mean? I have no idea. I just don’t see the magic that people are talking about with new sterns. We left the honest guys, Ghostbusters? I mean Ghostbusters? That might actually be the worst game I’ve ever played in my life besides the lost world
wants- nice examples of:      CP, nugent, 2001,  snow derby, Grand Prix, surfer, BSD, FGordon, TAF

current pins:
AC/DC premium, WW, WCS94, WOF, Volley, GotG, twd premium, IM vault, Central Park, pinball (stern EM), Jungle princess (EM), Medusa, alien star,  skateball

http://s468.photobucket.com/user/crewcontractors/library/?sort=3&postlogin=true&src=wap&page=1

Online deadlander

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 07:45:26 AM »
It’s not hate it’s a desire for stern to finish the job. The code has been left on many game that could be great if Stern took the time and played the long game of caring about the quality of the experience especially in the crazy home use market.  Games like wof, and X-men are prime examples of games that are good but could have been fantastic if Stern gave a shit about their customer base. I for one will not buy a new stern unti I play it first due to their empty code promises.
Al
Danny,  there's a lot of.... Well badness in the world today. I see it in the court everyday. I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber.... didn't want to do it.... felt I owed it to them.

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 10:39:25 AM »
I have to side with the architect/joe. I'm relatively "new" to all things pinball (2009), but I have seen what designer promises and lack of delivery have done to the stern price point.

back on subject. every game comes out, takes a dip, goes back up, and settles in at a price where they will sell. the only recent sterns that took a dump and stayed down are avengers and avatar (avatar made a decent upswing comeback, though) and rolling stones. oh, and wwf. xmen fell off, but climbed back up due to code tweeks.

games filled with toys can end up being a clunkerfest to play and turn off some players. for me, twilight zone. I've owned 3. love the tv shows. cannot get into the pinball machine. same with creature.

they never did wheel of fortune's code the right way. someday, someone will. that game stands alone for play value just due to the layout. code hurts, but it didn't kill the value.
WTB:  Goin' Nuts (10)              Bigfoot (2)
                Cabin Fever (1)          Nosferatu (10)
                      Richie Rich (1)        Wrath of Olympus (6)

...and basically anything 50% off eBay/painside value

Offline chillie

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 11:20:07 AM »
Great discussion, I am really on the side of most Code comments except I do not need huge depth as I am not a great player. What I do however want in a new game is clear goals. My pinball days started back in the 70"s Eldorado Volley King pin etc.. What a great game Eldorado is open simple rules but challenging keeps you coming back over and over. That's what I want in a game.

Now we have game after game released the price goes up as does expectation but we are let down as games seem underdeveloped.

K7 makes a great point code releases sway our/the markets opinion. I have a Kiss LE and up until the latest code release I did not play it much, I just could not get into it and it was on the fence getting ready to be moved on.  I got a killer deal on the game from someone who bought several trying to speculate.  Back to the point after the updated code dropped and was installed I have found that I like the game a lot more.

The market has stabilized on the game, however its still hard to get the game opened up for me. When you get there it is great fun. Although for the players at my home it is not clear how to get the game opened up.

My point originally was that Code and playfield layout are critical and I find that Stern have done a great job with the balance on Aerosmith.

Still waiting to get an understanding on SW and Guardians.

Keep the thoughts rolling.

Offline busa32927

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 11:28:16 AM »
i agree.  to my layout is the most important.  once it is built you cant change it.  code can be changed easily.