Author Topic: Naomi Netdimm setup  (Read 1901 times)

Offline Ghostcri

• Level 5: Power User!
Naomi Netdimm setup
« on: January 09, 2018, 08:53:12 PM »
Having some problems getting my Naomi 2 netdimm setup going, anyone here an expert on this? I'd like to bounce a couple of questions off you if so.

Thanks.

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
    • Coin Op Florida
Re: Naomi Netdimm setup
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 09:27:48 PM »
yes.... first off what version fw do you have? and what are you using to send the roms to the netdimm? note, you can't use the the roms in mame, they need to be converted. first try transfergame.exe then use triforce.py then use a pi with the loader all setup on it. i wrote my own loader, but i have since no clue where i saved it
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline Ghostcri

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 10:19:38 PM »
My firmware is 3.17 and I'm using a pi I bought from K7 with the adafruit lcd to send the roms. So far I have been unable to ping the netdimm from the pi, keep getting netdimm is unreachable. I bought a second crossover cable as part of my troubleshooting process and still I've been going around and around in circles following this tutorial and other info from the web- https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?thread/1086-how-to-net-boot-naomi-tri-force-chihiro-using-pi-force-tools/ -

All I can get is error 34 and the most progress I've made is a "checking network" message when I boot the Naomi.

Offline ratsflif

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • All your base
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 09:22:38 AM »
You have to go into your naomi service menu and make sure the net dimm is getting an ip address.

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 09:41:55 AM »
You have to go into your naomi service menu and make sure the net dimm is getting an ip address.

^ what he said ...

use a small switch and ping from a laptop or desktop.
after you can ping it, then use transfergame.exe

https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 09:43:26 AM »
also, here is jackulas's link to his app ( very simular to the one i developed )

https://assemblergames.com/threads/naomi-upload-1-0-0-33340.33931/

however, most of these are modifications or written around triforce.py

Offline k7

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 10:25:17 AM »
I pinged the netdimm off 2 laptops successfully when it was running in my chihiro setup. so communications should be fine.

I've loaded and done the steps for driver games, but have not touched it in 8 months. don't think it's the same steps anyways...

I removed all of this Pi equipment, and went static outrun2 in my cabinet. anything I can answer or input, just ask.

if it went bad while sitting on the shelf, i'll stand behind it. :)
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline Ghostcri

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 04:17:24 PM »
Hey k7, I didn't mean to infer that you sold me a bad pi, it's probably just some dumb setting I'm missing. The Naomi is setup with an ip of 192.168.1.2 per the tutorial I linked.

Offline ratsflif

• All your base
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 04:22:27 PM »
If you are using static ips then you need to make sure that the rpi is set to the same subnet.  When I had the netdimm setup, I used the NaoPi setup which allows you to use either a regular patch cable or a crossover cable and it runs its own dhcp server so you can set the naomi to acquire the ip automatically.

Offline ratsflif

• All your base
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 04:28:05 PM »
From that guide you linked

On your SD card there is a folder called "piforcetools" and inside that folder is a file called "piforcetools.py" If you edit this file in any plain text editor (such as notepad.exe) In this file you'll see lots of code but you'll also see a list of ROM file names and associated titles. If you're not seeing your game in the list after you've added it to the roms folder then chances are that file name is not on the file here. I would recommend keeping your roms named the same as the file names listed here, so that if you ever upgrade pi-force-tools you wont have to edit in your custom names all over again. You can of course add new files to this list as well simply following the format of the existing files listed.

There is also a list of IP addresses here, this is the list of addresses that you can select from the "change destination" option when running Pi-Force-Tools. The first IP address in the list will be the default that is always selected when you boot your Raspberry-Pi, and the other options are the ones that you can change too once the Raspberry-Pi has been booted.

"Instead of using a Cross-Over cable you would use a Network switch (any generic networking switch should do) with regular Ethernet cables, which thing plugs into which port on the switch doesn't matter.

Then you would assign each of your consoles a different IP address in the Network Settings menu. so in the guide we used 192.168.1.2 you could still use that for one of your consoles and then assign the others to 192.168.1.3, 192.168.1.4, 192.168.1.5, etc.

Once that's done on your Raspberry Pi you push the right direction button and then select the "change destination" option to select the IP address of the console you want to send the game to, then you push the left direction button to select the game to send.

Once the Raspberry Pi is done with the "Sending..." message and returns to the game list, you can select a new destination and repeat the process for the other consoles.

Offline k7

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 04:35:43 PM »
Hey k7, I didn't mean to infer that you sold me a bad pi, it's probably just some dumb setting I'm missing. The Naomi is setup with an ip of 192.168.1.2 per the tutorial I linked.

didn't mean it to come off that way.  :) having the multi-drivers gave me issues going game to game, where I had to set steering and brake controls up like it was the 1st time...which got annoying. so I pulled it out.

just wanted to post that if I can add any input, happy to do so. but also happy to stand behind it.
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline Ghostcri

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 08:11:25 PM »
From that guide you linked

On your SD card there is a folder called "piforcetools" and inside that folder is a file called "piforcetools.py" If you edit this file in any plain text editor (such as notepad.exe) In this file you'll see lots of code but you'll also see a list of ROM file names and associated titles. If you're not seeing your game in the list after you've added it to the roms folder then chances are that file name is not on the file here. I would recommend keeping your roms named the same as the file names listed here, so that if you ever upgrade pi-force-tools you wont have to edit in your custom names all over again. You can of course add new files to this list as well simply following the format of the existing files listed.

There is also a list of IP addresses here, this is the list of addresses that you can select from the "change destination" option when running Pi-Force-Tools. The first IP address in the list will be the default that is always selected when you boot your Raspberry-Pi, and the other options are the ones that you can change too once the Raspberry-Pi has been booted.

"Instead of using a Cross-Over cable you would use a Network switch (any generic networking switch should do) with regular Ethernet cables, which thing plugs into which port on the switch doesn't matter.

Then you would assign each of your consoles a different IP address in the Network Settings menu. so in the guide we used 192.168.1.2 you could still use that for one of your consoles and then assign the others to 192.168.1.3, 192.168.1.4, 192.168.1.5, etc.

Once that's done on your Raspberry Pi you push the right direction button and then select the "change destination" option to select the IP address of the console you want to send the game to, then you push the left direction button to select the game to send.

Once the Raspberry Pi is done with the "Sending..." message and returns to the game list, you can select a new destination and repeat the process for the other consoles.

Yeah, I've checked that file and everything looks just as they describe. I have tried setting the netdimm to the different ip's that are listed but when I ping it it still gives me the "unreachable" error on the pi.

The only thing I have yet to do is hook the pi up to my tv and check its ip but then how to change it if it is some weird ip?

Offline Ghostcri

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 09:30:20 PM »
So I made some progress, but only with the piforce web tools v1.2 that works with the newer pi. I was able to load mvc2 and play so I assume either I missed something when trying to use the pi I got from k7.