Author Topic: Becoming a tool snob, what's your go to brand?  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Mamushka

• Level 9: Grid Champion
Becoming a tool snob, what's your go to brand?
« on: January 11, 2018, 09:17:22 PM »
I have bought several tools since I have been working on my TAF playfield swap, so I consider this on-topicish ;)

So it was not long ago that I broke a set of Craftsman needle nose pliers.  I thought; "Great, Ace Hardware now carries Craftsman tools so I can swap them there as they are right down the street". Wrong. Ace requires a receipt showing you purchased the tool at their store. That coupled with people telling me most Craftsman tools are now for the most part made in China (I have not been in a Sears in at least 5 years so I can't verify this). Because of this it looked like I'm done with Craftsman and I decided to upgrade my hand tool collection.

I thought about going to Snap-On or Mac but but the cost was stupid, nice tools but you are paying a super premium as they generally cater to people making their living off of the tools and provide on-site delivery and financing... coupled with a massive mark up on the price.

So after a bit of internet research I started buying some new reasonably priced (compared to Snap-On) professional hand tools, so far I have bought:

• Wiha heavy duty screwdrivers. These are amazing compared to my Craftsmen ones, hard to describe how much better these grip the screws but they do. Would never go back to inferior screwdrivers.
  • Wiha T-Handel ball end allen wrenches, first set of T-Handled wrenches I have owned, really like them but cannot compare to others as this is virgin territory for me, but if I was to guess, these are top notch compared to most other comparably priced brands.
  • Various Knipex pliers; Holy shit, these things are amazing. From their Cobra pliers to their diagonal cutters I have not found any of their tools that I do not like.
  • Klein wire strippers, how in the hell have I been using shitty wire strippers for the last 3 decades when these amazing strippers can be bought for under $20 :P
  • Tekton punch set, I bought the set that includes 18 punches with both pin and roll pin punches (reverse taper so they don't get stuck) an amazingly simple set of tools where quality of materials and manufacturing makes a huge deference.

Any other reasonably priced great tools you would recommend?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:25:18 PM by Mamushka »
Pins: TAF, FG (not the Ah-Haaa one), SM, FH, LOTR. NGG
Past Pins: SM, IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's
Other (AKA Vids): Cocktail MAME

Offline RussG

Re: Becoming a tool snob, what's your go to brand?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:33:12 PM »
Man this is awesome.

I'm going to do some more research.
Where did you buy these from?

I am in agreement good tools make a difference and I haven't been happy with Craftsman for a long time.
Thank you!

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 09:42:16 PM »
Man this is awesome.

I'm going to do some more research.
Where did you buy these from?

I am in agreement good tools make a difference and I haven't been happy with Craftsman for a long time.
Thank you!

Once I find the tools I want I always try to find the best price (including shipping/tax of course). I have recently bought from:
amazon.com
ChadsToolbox.com
zoro.com
Past Pins: SM, IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 09:57:40 PM »
FYI;

All the Wiha and Knipex tools I bought are made in Germany.
The Klein and Tekton tools I have are made in the USA.

My mother in law bought me a set of Channellock groove joint pliers (red handles) that are made in China. I appreciate the thought but I plan on re-gifting them  :P

I do have some nice blue handle USA made Channellock (all blue handle made in USA?) grove joint pliers that I plan on keeping but I doubt they will get much use as I think the Knipex Cobras are much better.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:12:13 PM by Mamushka »

Offline khabbi

• "haub-bee"
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 11:18:20 PM »
Man I thought I was the only one that loved high quality German tools!  I've upgraded a lot of my tools over the past few years to Wera or NWS.  I love the NWS Pliers and cutters and go to Wera for screwdrivers. 

I figure these are tools that will last me the rest of my life, and once you have quality it's hard to go back!
LOOK! Your shoe is untied!

Offline ratsflif

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • All your base
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 09:40:53 AM »
This is one thing that I really want to start investing in, in the near future.  Between working on games, motorcycle, jeep, house, it's becoming pretty apparent that my cheap all in one tool kits just don't cut it.

Offline Sid

• @!#?@!
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 09:46:07 AM »
Most of my tools are Matco.  Good quality, less expensive as Snap-on, and they service my dealership.
C.B.B.B.M. @!#?@!

Phil.

Offline chillie

• Level 3: Hologram
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 09:51:49 AM »
My son had an accident at work this week. He borrowed a no brand strong arm bar and the thing failed. He is a mechanic and was across the road at the detail shop helping and had to borrow a tool. His tools were at the other workshop (Bought him good stuff when he started). Will not post photo's as very graphic. He was lucky no permanent damage.

As a result I have actually thrown out a bunch of tools that I have been getting by with.

Thanks for the heads up time to do some research.

Offline Clark

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 10:03:18 AM »
I have used about all the wiring type tools you could imagine during my job working for the Government. I have used and tested the Ideal wire strippers that have interchangeable blades for all type of wires for years. These strippers are the only ones used for aircraft wiring repairs on all the US military aircraft. I used to test and qualify these types of products for our Government before retiring recently. They may be more expensive than the cheapo ones out on the market these days but they will last forever.
As far as working on all my pins I use the Milwaukee M12 tools and bits for the playfields as they make work so easy and fast. The local Home Depot has about everything you would ever need from Milwaukee. Batteries last a long time and they sell all the bits you will ever need. The best source for wire strippers and Molex pin crimping tools for the connectors on the boards is a company located in Orlando. Daniels Manufacturing Company (DMC) has been supplying tools for aircraft wiring repairs for decades. Again their tools are Military grade and will be more expensive than most, but will last you forever.
Not trying to advertise for these companies but after re-reading the above it seems that is what I have done. Oh well, it is the truth.

Offline wsrainc

• Level 5: Power User!
  • https://youtube.com/@thewizardsgarage
    • WSRA Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 11:20:43 AM »
https://youtube.com/@thewizardsgarage - www.wsra.com - Ask me about my arcade collecting problem...

Offline Mamushka

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 03:55:29 PM »
As far as working on all my pins I use the Milwaukee M12 tools and bits for the playfields as they make work so easy and fast. The local Home Depot has about everything you would ever need from Milwaukee. Batteries last a long time and they sell all the bits you will ever need.

Unfortunately Milwaukee has been sold to the China company TTI
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techtronic_Industries
The last I heard is that they pretty much have switched all their manufacturing to China  and the quality is not what it used to be when it was USA made.  :(

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 04:39:04 PM »
i was expecting to see "Keysight, Tektronix, Rigol and other type tool talk.. "

Matco + Craftsman for me..
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline windsoreight

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 08:11:41 PM »
For me it’s mainly Snap-on and Matco. I worked in the automotive field since I was 18, so I’ve collected a large collection. Quality and warranty are a big deal

Offline k7

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 10:52:11 AM »
whatever I pull out of auction cars. ;)

I have everything from harbor freight to snap-on/mac/wiha.
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.