Author Topic: Becoming a tool snob, what's your go to brand?  (Read 2442 times)

Offline projectsupra

• Level 1: Arrival
Re: Becoming a tool snob, what's your go to brand?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 11:53:23 PM »
I agree, Knipex pliers are some of the best out there!

Whitte Pro screwdrivers and torx drivers have never let me down, never rounded a screw head or failed to remove one.

Also TrustyCook makes the best deadblow and ballpeen hammers I've ever used.

As for Craftsman, the old made in USA Professional wrenches are great, some are identical to the USA SK wrenches; but I sometimes end up using the newer slim Chinese versions since there's no more old USA stock in the stores if I damage one. The slim Chinese version also has a Snap-on/Wright-grip style open end which is nice.

Offline Pinterest

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 11:18:06 AM »
I hesitate to write this as I'm sure some of the dyed in the wool USA tool people will flame my choices - but I guess I don't really care - flame away if it pleases you. 

I used to buy all Craftsman tools. I have never been able to stomach the prices of Matco or Snap-on since I am not a professional mechanic - although their tools have always seemed to fit more nicely in my hands and IF I worked with my tools for a living - I may have (or still may) purchase Matco / Snap-On.

These days even some Snap-On tools are made in China - so I figure what's the point?  If a tool does the job it was intended to do, has a lifetime warranty, and the company stands behind it - I buy it. 

I have pretty much become a "harbor freight" guy and have had to replace several of their tools since starting to use them heavily in the last 10 years - but have done so with no issues. In every case Harbor Freight has taken a failed tool back and replaced it with new - no questions asked. I had a 1/2" Craftsman ratchet fail recently and they tried to give me a "rebuilt" ratchet that some idiot had pounded dings into the handle with a metal hammer. I refused to accept this as I take care of my tools and my wrench was in perfect condition - except the ratchet had failed.  I asked them to rebuild mine after they showed me 6 or so equally abused tools (Dinged by hammering, rusty, chrome peeling off, etc.) that I refused to accept. The salesperson finally admitted that they didn't have the right rebuild kit needed to rebuild mine right then and I would have to check back with them later.  I didn't accept this either and after an hour and a half arguing with them and asking for each person's manager - I (finally) walked out of the store with a new wrench - but it took me over an hour and a half of my time arguing with them. Not what I expect from any vendor touting a "lifetime" warranty.

In any case, have a large enough tool collection that I've not had the decision to use Harbor Freight bite me, AND I've never had them give me a hard time like they did at Sears.  Finally because I have doubles/triples of pretty much everything except highly specialized tools it's never really cost me any time.

For what it's worth - I have also switched to Harbor Freight "earthquake" for all of my air tools - and have never looked back.  They are excellent in function and are crazy cheap in comparison to even the medium grade (overpriced IMO) brands.  There are a few specialty air tools not available from Harbor Freight that I do buy brand names.  I use their cheap purple HVLP sprayer for spraying automotive clear on playfields, and they work very well.  If you have not tried HF - you really should give them a try.  Just read the reviews and avoid any tools that are rated poorly.

Oh - I always pick up "free" items and use coupons in the store for everything - so when attending a pinball convention I have multimeters I can 'lend' to someone in place of my Fluke and not worry if it doesn't make it back.  Good stuff!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 11:22:44 AM by Pinterest »
CV, T2, Pistol Poker, FirePower

Offline Mamushka

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 08:28:02 PM »
I have pretty much become a "harbor freight" guy

HF has their place, I have HF jack-stands, engine hoist, etc. In general I have found their hand tools sub-par at best (remember, this is a "tool snob" thread ;) ). I bought a set of HF pry bars once, I mean how can you screw up a pry bar? I was installing a motor mount and needed to lift the engine a bit, got my HF pry bar in place and proceeded to try and lift the engine. This 18" bar flexes a full 4" without budging the engine :o, I'm up against sheet metal now so I can't move it any farther. My buddy gets his ancient Snap-On bar that is the same size and I easily lift the engine (with inches to spare) as the bar is significantly more rigid than the HF one.   

I have fought with cheap hand tools long enough. Punches that bend/mushroom, screw drivers and bits that strip out screw heads and pliers that slip instead of grip. I can't tell you how many knock off vice grips I have destroyed (while clamping down hard the jaws "cross" or the threads stretch jamming them) while my name brand ones have been going strong for 20+ years (the teeth are worn down but they still work reasonably well).

There are a few good products coming out of China now, but the vast majority is still junk.  :P
Pins: TAF, FG (not the Ah-Haaa one), SM, FH, LOTR. NGG
Past Pins: SM, IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's
Other (AKA Vids): Cocktail MAME

Offline Rich Jax

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • ...and sometimes the baar eats you.
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2018, 11:47:50 PM »
I gave up on those cheap Chinese Harbor Freight/flea market tools a LONG time ago.
 I bought a full set of Sears Craftman wrenches and sockets back in 1994 and they have served me well ever since.  Klein makes some great screw drivers, snips and electrical speciality tools.  The Lowes and Home Depot store brands, Kobalt and Husky aren't bad either.

Offline Pinterest

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 12:51:36 AM »
I gave up on those cheap Chinese Harbor Freight/flea market tools a LONG time ago.
 I bought a full set of Sears Craftman wrenches and sockets back in 1994 and they have served me well ever since.  Klein makes some great screw drivers, snips and electrical speciality tools.  The Lowes and Home Depot store brands, Kobalt and Husky aren't bad either.

Yes, I agree - and for the record I do have an extensive inventory of Craftsman tools.  I also agree -- these types of tools DID suck in 1994.

When I was a kid and everything crappy and cheap was made in Japan - it was complete crap.  One is not able to say that about Japanese products anymore.  Same is happening in the tool industry in  China. If you have not looked at / tried the tools at HF recently - then perhaps you haven't given them a fair chance. There have been incredible improvements over what they provided in 1994 and what they offer in 2018. There are some tools that are still complete crap while there are others that are quite good.

I'd say I am a "tool snob" when and where I need to be. I just purchased a set of precision micro-torx screwdrivers over the weekend. HF does not offer anything that would meet my needs.  I use these in modern electronics and working on expensive knives.  I don't like paying $40 for a set of the Wico T1-T-8 micro-torx screwdrivers - but don't mind paying for a good tool when and where necessary to keep from "wallering out" nice precision screw heads.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 12:57:49 AM by Pinterest »
CV, T2, Pistol Poker, FirePower

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 09:55:25 AM »
My .2 cents......if I am going to use it often I buy quality product.  Anything that is less than five times a year or even a one time deal, its a HF tool to get it done.  I have been given some HF stuff like a grinder, and it has not let me down.  I also have a HF sonic cleaner that I use all the time and it kicks ass! Most of my hand tools though are quality brand.

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 03:46:58 PM »
I have a good amount of harbor freight tools. mechanical tools have been good for my usage. I have a floor jack going on 10+ years...

the only tool that stands out for constant failure is their heat guns (for PS3/PS4/Xbox repairs). they always seem to die (reliably) in one way or another.
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline RussG

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 02:54:58 AM »
Yes by cheap HF heat gun gave out recently and I had to pick up another.

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 06:05:08 PM »
For what it's worth - I have also switched to Harbor Freight "earthquake" for all of my air tools - and have never looked back.  They are excellent in function and are crazy cheap in comparison to even the medium grade (overpriced IMO) brands. 

Looks like the Earthquake impact is pretty reasonable (FYI, lots of colorful language in the vid). I have a Husky composite impact that is the exact same as one sold from Matco for about 1/3 the price  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmqKp6k9F-I

Pins: TAF, FG (not the Ah-Haaa one), SM, FH, LOTR. NGG
Past Pins: SM, IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's
Other (AKA Vids): Cocktail MAME

Offline Marshall

• LittleShopOfGames.com
    • Little Shop of Games | 24 Hour Arcade
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 02:55:39 AM »
All this talk of tools reminded me of this summertime hit from Benny Benassi

May not be OK for work
! No longer available

And then there’s this metal cover version by the Rectum Raiders

http://vevo.ly/dFUgYm
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 02:59:05 AM by King Jelly »
Little Shop Of Games / LSOG | Florida’s Pinball Showroom and Parts Storefront and Authorized Stern, Jersey Jack and Chicago Gaming Company Distributors. We Buy, Sell, RENT and Trade New and Used Pinball Machines and ship Parts and Games Worldwide!

LittleShopOfGames.com | 24HourArcade.com
24408 State Road 54, Lutz, FL 33559
SHOP: 813-944-4900 | Cell: 813-951-1602 | MON - FRI 11-7

Offline toastbot

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 10:08:04 AM »
NSFW how? They all seem to be wearing proper safety gear, I don't see the problem.  ;D
Pins: The Simpsons Pinball Party, Who Dunnit?
Vids: Street Fighter Zero 3: Upper, Golden Tee 2018, Tempest, Ms Pac-Man

Offline arcadeshenanigans

• Bills Arcade Shenanigans
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 10:41:41 AM »
Personally, DeWalt, Klein, Hakko. 

Craftsman Wrenches, sockets and Screwdrivers have still been holding up.
 - Though, the Craftsman pneumatic retractable hose reel makes me grumble bad words every time I try to make use of the "retractable" feature. :(  It seriously depresses me that Craftsman has lended their name to garbage like that.

I keep a set of harbor freight tools in the jetski trailer toolbox and m998 storage cubby beneath the rear troop seats.. generally not impressive but less aggravating if stolen or damaged by saltwater / exposure.
Bill

Organizer and Chief Sanitation Engineer for Gulf Coast Pinball & Arcade
www.gulfcoastpinballandarcade.com

Current GameRoom:
Pins: Williams IJ, TOTAN, AFM, STTNG, DESW, Scared Stiff
Arcades: DK, Q*Bert, Tron, Tapper, Atari Star Wars, MK 1,2,3 4, Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 (x2), Multi Cocktail ArcadeSD Vertical , Multi Horizontal Hyperspin
Other: Dome gaming environment, Consoles, VR

Offline BigMatt

• There is no spoon
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 11:23:43 PM »
Snap on is overpriced. Same fordge grade steel as anything else you buy at a bigbox store. I use big box store sockets all day on impacts no less and have only cracked one craftsman socket in over a decade wrenching on escalators and elevators plus in my line of work if you drop a wrench or a socket in a escalator say goodbye! Wiring tools ideal and klien are good, husky is just fine for other hand tools although milwaukee is putting out some great shit. Anything dewalt handtool is junk, they should just stick to powertools. Im currently usimg harbour frieght colored sockets at work and have memorised all the sizes by color which is fast to find in the toolbox havent cracked one of those yet on impacts either and going 6 months strong. I have a pair of awesome knipex linesmans 70$ and witnessed my dumbass helper use them in tandem with a hammer instead of a grinder to cut some airplane cord as i turned the corner, next day he brought me a commercial electric pair and 50$ bill and honestly they are JUST as good. Moral of the story is the expensive stuff is a waste - period.
Golden screwdriver recipient.

Offline Seeburg220

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2018, 09:26:34 AM »
Fuck Sears and fuck Crapsman.  To some guys, tools are just toys or a means to getting something fixed.   They are more than that to me.   Call me a sentimental idiot (but don't call me Shirley),   I was a motor head in high school and my parents gave me a set of American-made Craftsman sockets and wrenches that I still have and use today.   That was 35 years ago.   

A few years back, I went to Sears to buy my son his set of tools, like my parents had me.   All of the sockets, ratchets and wrenches were either chinese or taiwanese.   I was about to walk out, when the cashier said wait, he had one box left that was still American made, that had been buried under a bunch of chinese crap.   The box looked beat up, but otherwise was intact.   I grabbed it.   After that,  I was done with crapsman. 

I have some of my Dad's and Grandad's tools now, since both have passed away.  They mean the world to me.  I will pass all of mine on to my son, when I punch out of this world.   I tried to instill in my kids that THIS country comes first, and that the economic choices they make, no matter how small,  add up.   They both look for American made items first and that makes me proud of them.

Eight Ball Deluxe / Space Shuttle / Nugent / Spin Out / Night Rider EM / Charlie's Angels / Evel Knievel / Skylab / Jive Time / Air Aces / Rawhide / Gold Record / Asteroids / Orbit puck bowler / Seeburg 220 / Seeburg 201