Author Topic: Movie Pass  (Read 111 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
  • Call me Nummy
Movie Pass
« on: January 22, 2018, 08:46:33 PM »
Is anyone else doing Movie Pass?

I finally got my card and saw my first movie over the weekend.

For those not in the know, it's a service backed by one of the Netflix guys. You pay $9.99 a month and can see as many movies you want. Well, there are some restrictions but it's pretty reasonable -- you can only see one movie a day and you can't see the same movie twice. I'd imagine these are in place to prevent people sharing the cards.

Actually using the card is super easy.. just 'check in' with the app and pick your movie and it loads your movie pass credit card with enough money to purchase the ticket. Given any movie ticket is going to run you more than $10 these days as long as you see one movie a month it's worth it. Yeah, I still like seeing movies at the theater.. crazy.

So the question now becomes how long will this service last given the huge amount of money they must be losing and what will happen to the theater business if they succeed? Obviously they are trying to Netflix the movie biz but what will that mean to the theaters especially with ticket sales already being in such a slump? I guess it's possible it could be a win-win.. if you get so many people committed to seeing movies again maybe the prices could come down across the board on a quantity versus price per ticket scenario? Ultimately the studios would also have to get involved as they are the reason a lot of things at the theaters are so expensive.. especially concessions.

Offline Djude Abides

• Level 3: Hologram
Re: Movie Pass
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 11:16:55 PM »
I rarely go to the theater anymore.  The screen in my house seems just as large as some I have gotten sticky feet sitting in front of. 

Too many people on their phones etc..... 

This sounds like a great deal though.....    oh... and on the rare occasion that I do go..... they gig me for about $20 for popcorn and a large beverage...
Present....Countdown,TZ,BBH,WOZ ECLE, NGG...
Past. others...

Offline Hamster

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 09:50:06 AM »
when i go to the movie(s) which is maybe once ever 2-3 months, it only costs me $8.00

But for an avid movie goer, seems like a super good deal. //

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - eeguru

current: pins: TSPP, AMH, T3, ST:TNG, ST:LE, RG, RCT, DW. DE:ST vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, (2) Sega Uni, OR2 Driver, OR.
past: pins: TWD, SF2, SW:EP1, RFM, T2, T3, LAH, JMn, DE:SW, Gtb:BH, MET, 24 vids:X

Online Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 01:37:01 PM »
Great deal if you use it. I wouldn't, but I've got a friend who lives in Brooklyn - his place is about 2 blocks from a theater, and of course movies are even more expensive in NYC.

He's got the moviepass and just goes and sees EVERYTHING.

I'm fine with waiting for the home version for most things.

Offline mcluvin

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 06:46:54 PM »
Costco had this for $89 for 1 year last month.  I almost bought it, but between matinees and T-mobile Tuesdays, it likely would have been a wash for me.