Author Topic: Robocop is coming back.. again  (Read 238 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
Robocop is coming back.. again
« on: January 24, 2018, 11:50:47 AM »
It looks like we might actually get another RoboCop film and fans of the original 1987 film and there's reason for fans of the original film to get excited about it. The script is being written by original Robocop screenwriter Ed Neumeier, and it will be a sequel that ignores the events that took place in Robocop 2, Robocop 3, and the 2014 remake. During an interview with Zeitgeist Entertainment Magazine, Neumeier said:

"We’re not supposed to say too much. There’s been a bunch of other RoboCop movies and there was recently a remake and I would say this would be kind of going back to the old RoboCop we all love and starting there and going forward. So it’s a continuation really of the first movie. In my mind. So it’s a little bit more of the old school thing."

Robocop 1987 is a classic. How much of that was Neumeier scripts and Verhoven's direction is hard to say.. probably a combination. They later teamed up for Starship Troopers which I also liked quite a bit.

Robocop 2.. ehh had it's moments. Not terrible.

We don't speak of Robocop 3.

The Robocop remake was pointless and totally forgettable.

So how will the Robocop reboot? sequel? work? I know a few years ago.. ok maybe it was a decade ago.. there was talk of a new Robocop with Peter Weller playing the aging Robocop scenario. What's the plan now? Weller is still a little guy but does he want to get back int he suit? Probably not at his age. Recast? Direct sequel? How will that work? Many ways this could go wrong and few it could go right but if they are going to do it anyway at least bringing Neumeir back is a step in the right direction.

Offline HFK

• Level 9: Grid Champion
Re: Robocop is coming back.. again
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 03:54:31 PM »
I think it is stupid and a lazy idea.

Offline k7

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 06:54:37 PM »
I like Robocop...in 1987.

remakes, in our eyes, are dumb from the getgo. sorry...just the way they will all end up going.

I'm still mad about The Taking of Pelham 123. the original is gold, and will remain the greatest book I've ever read. the movie was well done. the remake is a turd.
WTB:  Goin' Nuts (10)              Bigfoot (2)
                Cabin Fever (1)          Nosferatu (10)
                      Richie Rich (1)        Wrath of Olympus (6)

...and basically anything 50% off eBay/painside value

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 12:08:56 PM »
How will it work? I don't think they give any thought to that. It's just "The name Robocop will probably get us a big opening weekend and we'll make our money back and then some." plus "China never saw the original - it's all new to them!".

I don't think the thought process goes very far beyond that. There are still directors and writers trying to make things people will love, or things that they themselves want to see, but the studios don't give a single fuck.

Offline Shdwknt

• Level 5: Power User!
  • Suck it
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 11:34:03 AM »
I just cant believe that hollywood has ran out of ideas to the point where EVERYTHING is a fucking remake or sequel.. I get it - we have a LOT of movies over the years.. but come on .. is there just not an original idea out there any more?

:( 

however IF this sequal does good.. it might make my robocop jamma board worth more ;) so I dont think Im selling that today now..
Red White and Blue IGT Slot, Mortal Kombat 1 original cab - with switcher for MK II, SF2: WW, SF2: CE, SF: The Movie, X-men Vs SF, Revolution X, Konami Simpsons cab (with NBA JAM  and TMNT in it); NSM hyperbeem 100 disc Jukebox, Califorina speed, Crusin' world x2 Linked; Hyperbeam

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 01:12:15 AM »
Name recognition = perceived better value.. hence the remakes/reboots

Movies are all made by mega-corporations now.. it's all about that dollar.