Author Topic: Atari Star Wars Cabinet Variations?  (Read 175 times)

Offline arcadeshenanigans

• Level 1: Arrival
    • Bills Arcade Shenanigans
Atari Star Wars Cabinet Variations?
« on: February 07, 2018, 12:17:43 PM »
I'm trying to track down if an Atari Star Wars Stand up is original-original or somehow converted from something else..

Does anyone know, did Atari release variations of the Atari Star Wars stand up cab both with: lighted marquees and without: lighted marquees?

Thanks!
Bill

Organizer and Chief Sanitation Engineer for Gulf Coast Pinball & Arcade
www.gulfcoastpinballandarcade.com

Current GameRoom:
Pins: Williams IJ, TOTAN, AFM, STTNG, DESW
Arcades: DK, Q*Bert, Tron, Tapper, Atari Star Wars, MK 1,2,3 4, Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 (x2), Multi Cocktail Vertical, Multi Horizontal Mame
Other: Dome gaming environment, Consoles, VR

Offline busa32927

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
Re: Atari Star Wars Cabinet Variations?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 02:39:55 PM »
probably better to post a pic of the cab you have.
vids:  MK 2,3&4, KI 1&2, ms pac,  60n1, 246/256 (tekken 5 and soul calibur), lethal enforcers, NBA Jams, PP 1&2, robotron, joust w/jrok

WTB: Candy Cab and Crystal Castles

pins: Metallica, TWD, Stern ST Prem, MMr, GB, AC/DC prem., WOZ, SW Prem, GotG

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook, Spiderman, GoT

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 06:27:50 PM »
Sure thing - Here we go..

Hopefully I didn't leave any discarded scotch bottles or underwear laying around in the picture..  :-[

It has a difficult-to-read atari model sticker, and I *think* it says 27900 which would jive with Star Wars. 
This marquee isn't backlit and I've only ever seen one other in person, which I think wasn't backlit either..  I do see lit marquees out there for sale too, just curious if there were variations on the original s/u cab or if those are just people making kit games out of repro cabs and slapping a backlit marquee in.
Bill

Current GameRoom:
Arcades: DK, Q*Bert, Tron, Tapper, Atari Star Wars, MK 1,2,3 4, Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 (x2), Multi Cocktail Vertical, Multi Horizontal Mame

Offline MIKE96

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 06:34:48 PM »
Looks like a dedicated upright too me, just change that terrible blue t-molding & put back the black leather texture t molding on it and you're good to go.
WTB: Eyes upright, Astro Blaster cabaret, & many other Dedicated classic uprights & cabarets pm me if you any thanks.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 07:59:27 PM »
Looks like a dedicated upright too me, just change that terrible blue t-molding & put back the black leather texture t molding on it and you're good to go.

;D  Right on. 
Bill

Current GameRoom:

Offline FUNWIZ

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 11:35:27 PM »
Is there a way to light the marquee?  Maybe the light was removed and just needs to be replaced?  The starters on the early games caused the board to reset when the bulb went bad, and the operators just removed everything instead of replacing it.  Look for a 3 pin flat plug, green/white/black along the back sides where the power is located, that has nothing plugged into it.
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 12:39:23 AM »
awesome looking, blue isn't the worst option given what's out there. :)

if you can backlight whatever is there now, you can throw in a complete fixture for about 10 bucks from walmart, (12 for LED bulb and fixture online) and not even hack the wiring.
WTB:  Goin' Nuts
          Rock Star/Blue Note
          Jai Alai
          Strange World
          KingPin (yawn)
          Road Runner
          Nosferatu
          Wrath of Olympus...really...they only made 6?

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 10:16:41 AM »
Right on.   What was weird was there was no starter, no plug, no unidentified holes where you'd imagine a florescent bracket would have mounted, no extra wiring running to the power supply.
If it did ever have a fixture, someone cleaned it out like cleaning after a crime scene.  (Shrug) :)

Upon closer inspection and.. cobweb replacement.. It does look like that marquee area has a transparent-ish backing that would allow it to be lit from behind.  Might just stick a non-permanent spare LED strip in it and call it done for now..
Bill

Current GameRoom:

Offline gt7766c

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 10:26:47 PM »
I don’t know if they made different models but the Star Wars I restored had the wiring up top so I put in an led strip. Looks beautiful coming through the marquee and yours should do the same. I concur on the t-molding, go black, Darth Vader only does black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kris

Current:  Ms. Pac-Man, Star Wars
In-work:  NBA Jam
Previous:  Street Fighter II, Bride of Pinbot, Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man