Author Topic: Why isn’t fpf 24 hrs?  (Read 4869 times)

Offline the architect

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • Tournament pinball is fun
Why isn’t fpf 24 hrs?
« on: February 11, 2018, 08:10:17 AM »
For that matter why isn’t every show 24 hrs? That’s the only thing I always ask myself at every show is “why are they shutting down so early?”

There’s nothing like being really into a game and getting booted at 10pm, and then looking around like “what do I do now?”

Love to get some dialog going on this to jumpstart a volunteer situation if that’s what’s needed.
Jumping jack, rush pro, argosy,

On loan- LUCKY HAND

Offline DEXTER

• Level 5: Power User!
Re: Why isn’t fpf 24 hrs?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 09:19:52 AM »
For that matter why isn’t every show 24 hrs? That’s the only thing I always ask myself at every show is “why are they shutting down so early?”

There’s nothing like being really into a game and getting booted at 10pm, and then looking around like “what do I do now?”

Love to get some dialog going on this to jumpstart a volunteer situation if that’s what’s needed.

HAHAHA - this post makes me feel really old.

Offline djude

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 09:57:58 AM »
HAHAHA - this post makes me feel really old.

No doubt.....😴
Present....Countdown, CCR, BBH, NGG, EBD, DILE...
Past. others...

Offline Centaur Brother

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 10:51:45 AM »
I can't stay up much past 10pm these days, lol. Maybe Saturday night stay open through the night might be a good idea. Dont know if the hotel would allow it though. FPF  could charge an additional fee to run 10pm to 10am.
The Pin Cave

"Keep On Flippin"

Offline the architect

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 02:56:16 PM »
Would definitely cut down on huge crowds around popular games.

On loan- LUCKY HAND

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 07:54:37 PM »
1) hotels don't like it.
2) volunteers needs sleep.

--

unless your going to volunteer to keep the doors open and fix games, 24 hours is pretty hard, we fight to get people to help as it is.
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline the architect

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 09:43:15 PM »
This would make the show something many shows aren’t. I’m sure you could get the volunteers

On loan- LUCKY HAND

Offline Marcel G

• Show Organizer
  • Level 6: Knight Industries
  • APE Man
    • Pinwerks
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 10:59:32 PM »
1) venues wont allow it
2) venues wont allow it
3) venues wont allow it

(lol)
P I N W E R K S

South Florida pinball machine and videogame repairs professionally done on site - Martin, Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties... and beyond if needed.

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 11:17:00 PM »
I am waiting for the 48hr BarnFest
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline the architect

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 07:38:00 AM »
Fuck a venue, we will build our own venue then.

On loan- LUCKY HAND

Offline dug

• Show Organizer
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 12:21:20 PM »
I can't speak for the other shows, but from doing JAX I have some thoughts on the topic.  Putting on the show is of course a gigantic process and pain and each additional activity has a ripple effect in taking more of our limited time.  So we kick around ideas and then pick the ones with the most bang for the buck relative to our finite amount of time.  So besides issues related to getting the venue to accommodate extra hours, is the effort of getting staff, maintaining games, making sure everything is safe and secure, etc. worth it for what would most likely be a relatively small number of people, vs something else that would appeal to a larger number of people.   

Still, the biggest issues are getting games to the show and volunteers.  If there were more people able/willing to not only donate games but be able to bring them it would make it much more likely to even have a show, much less one that runs 24 hrs.  For the last JAX I think our crew picked up and delivered close to 70+% of the games (I need to verify but that is what I remember.)  Not to say we don't appreciate people donating games, only that the time and effort in moving that many games just isn't appealing or sustainable, and probably the biggest factor in why we have put off having another show.   
WTB: Eight Ball Deluxe, The Getaway - HSII, Qbert,

Jacksonville Arcade Expo - www.jaxarcadex.com

How come you never see the headline “Psychic Wins Lottery”?

Offline the architect

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 01:32:56 PM »
Bringing on paid help in situations seems like the only way to get people that can be counted on. Pin techs, I mean good ones are already hard to come by, that being said some horror stories regarding volunteers scares me as someone that would potentially bring games to a show. Not to mention people that just don’t care about other people’s things.
Playing a game and walking away before it’s finished is one thing, being a cock and pressing the start button over and over when there’s a line is another. I’m tempted to bring games to shows every time one comes up, however for me it’s a rule not to anymore for the simple fact it takes my attention from what I’m actuallythere for which is the tournament. Bummer but it’s true. Unfortunately for me the bang for the buck just isn’t there to actually bring games anymore, I’d rather just pay the show fee (which should be more imo), even though I have historically done both just to support the show even further.

On loan- LUCKY HAND

Offline Redland Man

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 08:50:04 PM »
Yeah it would be easier on myself and my games if i just paid the fee to go to the shows but if everyone did this there would be no show.
Don't be a bully

Offline the architect

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 09:58:02 PM »
I get it. If the show was able to buy 1 pin, every show or a handful of arcades every show that’d be theway to keep the show going no matter what.

On loan- LUCKY HAND

Offline Redland Man

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 10:32:40 PM »
Unfortunately shows are not very profitable
Don't be a bully