Author Topic: Why isn’t fpf 24 hrs?  (Read 350 times)

Offline Redland Man

• Level 5: Power User!
Re: Why isn’t fpf 24 hrs?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 10:33:32 PM »
Unfortunately shows are not very profitable and a lot of the guys doing it end up donating all proceeds to charity.
Don't be a bully

Offline FUNWIZ

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 10:34:04 PM »
I think you have the right idea, you guys pitch in and buy the hotel for FPF, and then won't need to move the FPF games, just the donor games, and 60 hours of show every 6 months.  That would solve lots of problems. 
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline the architect

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • Tournament pinball is fun
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 07:59:00 AM »
Shows not being profitable is a choice.
wants- nice examples of:     WW, FT, CP, nugent, 2001,  snow derby, Grand Prix, surfer, BSD, FGordon, TAF

current pins:
AC/DC premium, super orbit, WOF, Volley, GotG, twd premium, IM vault Central Park, pinball (stern EM), Jungle princess (EM), Medusa, alien star,  skateball

http://s468.photobucket.com/user/crewcontractors/library/?sort=3&postlogin=true&src=wap&page=1

Offline Hamster

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 09:48:39 AM »
Shows not being profitable is a choice.

We produce the shows for peoples enjoyment, we are a 100% volunteer run , non-profit 501c3 registered organization, we make zero money, we don't take any money home, its not about profit.

the more shows and pop-up arcades hurt shows, when I started doing this 7+ years ago, there was zero places to go play pinball and arcades at, now there is at least 6 in just Orlando.

Player One
Bart
Pinball Lounge
(a new one opening in Pinball Loung area ) Arcade Monsters
Rumor has it a new pinball place opening up @ Artegon by Dezer ( same Dezer as Miami Pinball )
Joysticks

Outside of Orlando:
Arcade odyssey
Miami Pinball ( not closing, but "re-branding" )
Arcade Game Sales ( they have monthy events ) ... not really a "location" but a place to play games.
Del-ray Pinball Museum
Purple Rain Cafe ( not open yet )
Cafe One
the 10+ pizza joints Cody has games in.
Rec Room arcade+bar ( riverside, jax )
Flippin Great Pinball
Replay Museum
Lowry Parcade
Vector ( not open yet ~ slated for April?)
Little Shop of Games Wesley Chapel.. ( you can play pinball there, but you should be there to buy and not pound on machines )
Winter Park Pinball( not open yet ~ slated for March ?)
---
A lot of these places didn't exist pre-Gamewarp/SPF , Some of them were starting to open or just had opened, but a lot of them are collector driven and have dried up the available of staff and people being able to bring games to a show.
---

Running a show is not a profit generating experience, if you take the number of man hours the crew put into the show into the amount of net proceeds, i think we would make less than a dollar an hour. We do it for the love, to allow people to enjoy unique games you don't see everyday and the entertainment and talks. ( things the above can' do ) and allow parents to share the experience with their kids which we hope educates and teaches the history of amusement gaming making it a family experience to help get the younger generation into gaming outside of their cell phone.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 11:05:37 AM by Hamster »
http://www.coinopflorida.com // http://freeplayflorida.com

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - eeguru

current: pins: TSPP, AMH, T3, ST:TNG, ST:LE, RG, RCT, DW. DE:ST vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, (2) Sega Uni, OR2 Driver, OR.
past: pins: TWD, SF2, SW:EP1, RFM, T2, T3, LAH, JMn, DE:SW, Gtb:BH, MET, 24 vids:X

Offline the architect

• Tournament pinball is fun
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 12:07:31 PM »
Even though I can tell you that I appreciate what you guys do, it doesn’t seem like it’s enough. At some point everyone gets burned out from giving too much it seems. For whatever it’s worth, I don’t say any of this out of lacking gratitude. It’s more in the hopes of being a positive influence on ideas I personally think would make the show even better than it already is.
wants- nice examples of:     WW, FT, CP, nugent, 2001,  snow derby, Grand Prix, surfer, BSD, FGordon, TAF

current pins:
AC/DC premium, super orbit, WOF, Volley, GotG, twd premium, IM vault Central Park, pinball (stern EM), Jungle princess (EM), Medusa, alien star,  skateball

http://s468.photobucket.com/user/crewcontractors/library/?sort=3&postlogin=true&src=wap&page=1

Offline dug

• Show Organizer
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 09:34:58 PM »
To try and bring it back to the original topic in a very circuitous way, with the first JAX show we kept it very minimal with a focus on just games because everything else was completely new to us in putting on the show.  We made a little bit of cash which was donated to our charity ($2500 if I remember correctly.)  The next year we figured it would be bigger as word got out, and we added other events like the pinball raffle, classic arcade tournament, consoles, etc.  Unfortunately, attendance wasn't significantly increased but the costs were so we ended up in about the same position.   So with 100% volunteers we ended up making what I could have made in a part-time job in probably half the amount of time spent on the show.

The result being, in my mind at least, I have no idea how to crack the code to make a show that would stand on it's own as a for-profit venture with paid staff.  Still, we are looking at doing it again, but all of the decisions on events are very much weighed on cost vs. return.   

With that I don't think making it 24 hours would attract enough additional people outside of the people who would already attend to make it worth while.  I could be wrong but that is my gut instinct, but even then, the extra administrative overhead makes it unappealing.  I found with JAX2 each additional activity ended up being a lot more work than expected.  Having things in place from the first year saved a lot of headache, but the new stuff I think almost made it worse than the first year.       
WTB: Eight Ball Deluxe, The Getaway - HSII, Qbert,

Jacksonville Arcade Expo - www.jaxarcadex.com

FACT: Shark heaven and scuba diver hell are the same place