Author Topic: eBay scammers  (Read 113 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
  • Call me Nummy
eBay scammers
« on: February 14, 2018, 09:23:28 PM »
So I put the truck for sale (see the car sub, shameless plug) on eBay motors. Figured i'd get less idiots and scammer. Boy was I wrong.

Had a guy in Compton, CA keep sending me offers. I declined the first with a note 'hey how are you going to come get this?'. No reply. Next day new offer $500 higher. I reply again.. no reply. Today another offer $500 more.. what the fuck? Best I can think maybe a dude who doesn't speak english that doesn't realize shipping will cost almost as much as the truck?

2nd one is interesting. Supposed grad student from texas.. sends me this:

I am very interested in your Dakota you have listed. I have one issue though, that I am currently a grad student in Texas, and would not be able to come out and pick the truck up for 2-3 weeks, unless I could figure something out sooner. Of course, I am not asking you to hold the sale of the vehicle; I would pay for it and then work out the best pick up arrangement according to both of our schedules. However, I am VERY VERY interested and would really appreciate any options you could come up with to help me out in getting the vehicle.
Thank you so much! I hope we can work something out!
Anne Hutchens

I reply back with: I'm sorry this doesn't make a lot of sense. Why would you be so interested in a truck hundreds of miles away when you could probably find one just like it much closer?

I get this in reply:

I understand your hesitation, but frankly, your Dakota checks all my boxes. I've worked on engines like this before, so I know what I'm dealing with under the hood. This car is in great condition for my price range and its age. I really need a small truck like this for my job and my dog. Trucks like this are a rare find in Dallas in such good condition (most have bad hub and suspension issues because the roads are so bad or have been in wrecks because the drivers are so crazy). I recently totalled my car in an accident here and so I really have to open myself up to near and far options in order to stay in my price range. I can't afford anything new or flashy, but I need something reliable that I am confident I can maintain repairs on. Prices of cars here in Dallas are outrageous, and things in my price range are usually more trouble than they're worth. Frankly, the cost of buying this truck, flying out to get it, and driving it back, is still more within my budget than attempting to find a good one here. Not to mention the fact that all the sellers I've been in touch with locally seem to think they can take advantage of a young woman's assumed naivety and try to sell me a car with more problems than it's worth. You seemed very forthcoming and honest in your assessment of your vehicle, and I really respect that. Furthermore, I have family in Florida who would possibly be able to help me in getting this vehicle. My father has bought cars on eBay before from MN, NJ, AZ, and IL, so I know this is a viable option for me.
Please understand that I am not pulling your leg. I'm sort of scrambling to find a vehicle to suit my needs for work and school, and this is one of the best I've come across so far.
Anne Hutchens

Well written and seemingly tailored to the ad.. but few glaring plot holes. I mean.. you can't find a 20 year old Dakota in Dallas? Even a quick CL search calls bullshit on that. Even so, you couldn't find a 20 year old Dakota for $2k anywhere closer than Florida? Riiiight. Finally 'small car for me and my dog'.. this mother fucker sits like 2 feet off the ground. It's the last thing you want to daily drive with a dog unless its a great dane.

I told her to get one of her family members in Florida to buy it and blocked the account.

I assume the end goal here is to send a bogus money order or cashiers check or whatever.

Offline HFK

• Level 9: Grid Champion
Re: eBay scammers
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 09:49:30 PM »
How many people have you gotten so far that will sell it for you?

I listed a 94 Honda scooter a few weeks back. First was a guy who sent two emails really wanting it and when I replied he then sends me a whole spiel about how I need to buy a used motorcycle report for $100 because that will make the vehicle sell quick. Asshole, it's a 24 year scooter for $500 why would I spend money to sell it? Rather quickly I also got two from people who deal with these type vehicles all the time and they can get it sold for me in no time if I sign up with them. This was all within an hour.

I also got an email from a guy close by asking if I would take $400, called him back and 15 minutes later he was in my drive giving me $450. All this in under two hours. 

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Call me Nummy
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 10:02:07 PM »
Yeah that's weird.

No, nobody offering services yet. Just weird messages.

I did also list it on CL, as expected have received a few tire kicker emails. One guy seemed super interested.. asked a bunch of questions.. then asked where it was located.. then replied back with he'd like to look at it after the 24th. I'm like, sure if it's still here.

Back to eBay i checked the ad and apparently eBay defaults to 'money orders' and cash as accepted payment. I removed the money order part.. I'd imagine that's half my problem.

Offline Shdwknt

• Level 5: Power User!
  • Suck it
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 10:53:16 AM »
Dude my ex-brother in law did this ALL The time.. he would search the country on ebay for a very SPECIFIC car with specifications and then either fly out and drive the car back, or have someone drive it back for him..  its actually NOT that uncommon and might not be a scam..

Gary was looking for an avalanche one time and he found one here in FL and wanted me to drive it up to him but the dealer wouldnt budge on something about the car that gary had an issue with..

you might not be getting scammed by the texas guy.
Red White and Blue IGT Slot, Mortal Kombat 1 original cab, SF2 Conversion Cab, 2 - Revolution X, Konami Simpsons cab (with NBA JAM in it); NSM hyperbeem 100 disc Jukebox, 6ft sony licensed Spiderman Statue, califorina speed sitdown, crusin' exotica; Street Fighter the movie, T2- the arcade

Offline mcluvin

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 11:27:05 AM »
Sold my bug on Ebay.  The guy was in Virginia.  Picked him up at the train station here in Florida with a certified check for the remainder in hand.  No problems.  CL was a pain in the ass compared to Ebay.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Call me Nummy
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 02:56:42 PM »
Dude my ex-brother in law did this ALL The time.. he would search the country on ebay for a very SPECIFIC car with specifications and then either fly out and drive the car back, or have someone drive it back for him..  its actually NOT that uncommon and might not be a scam..

Gary was looking for an avalanche one time and he found one here in FL and wanted me to drive it up to him but the dealer wouldnt budge on something about the car that gary had an issue with..

you might not be getting scammed by the texas guy.

People buy cars out of state, sure. Sports cars, rare cars.. extremely good deals.

Do people fly halfway across the country to buy a 1998 Dodge Dakota 4x4? Probably not.

Does a grad student named Anne who desperately needs a new daily driver to take her small dog around in fly half way across the country to buy a 20 year old dodge dakota 4x4? Definitely not.