Author Topic: Black Panther  (Read 1067 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
Black Panther
« on: February 18, 2018, 10:59:37 PM »
Caught Black Panther over the weekend.

Overall very well done. Has a lot in common with Thor in that this is an origin story for Wakanda as much as it is for Black Panther himself. They did a good job with the world building though.

The plot is a bit unfocused for the first hour but settles in well. There are a few decent action sequences throughout and it never felt boring. Just like Ragnarok and other recent Marvel movies it has it's own vibe.. definitely different from the typical formula but it never strays so far that it's not recognizable as either a superhero film or a marvel superhero film.. not that this is a bad thing.

Bottom line.. even though Black Panther is fairly low down the Marvel roster they did a good job and it's worth seeing. It's not quite the 'world changing' event some sources are making it out to be, but it is a well done film and it's entertaining.

Offline Shimoda

• Level 6: Knight Industries
Re: Black Panther
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 09:43:57 AM »
If you are a person of color it is world changing to see your super hero as the focus, not just a backup or side guy/gal. 
Embryon, Doctor Who, Paragon, Tommy, Flash Gordon, Big Ben (WMS), FACES, Joker Poker(stein)

Past: WOZ, BC, Sinbad, TSPP, WH2O, Farfalla, Amazing Spider-Man, Diner, Funhouse, Space Invaders, F-14, Rollergames, BoP, Incredible Hulk,  Centaur, Top Score, ES, BK2K, Meteor, EBD-LE, Genie, Flash Gordon, Diner, Mata Hari, Doctor Who, Soccer, The Wiggler, Nine Ball

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 09:53:36 AM »

Lest we forget...

But yes it's nice to see more diversity in these films. It makes for different films which given this was Marvel Cinematic Universe movie #18.. is welcome.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 11:57:35 AM »
Seen nothing but good reviews for this.

I've also seen posts where people think Wakanda is a real place though. Sigh...

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 05:08:28 PM »
If you are a person of color it is world changing to see your super hero as the focus, not just a backup or side guy/gal.

World changing? ???
Pins: TAF, FG (not the Ah-Haaa one), SM, FH.
Past Pins: IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's
Other (AKA Vids): Cocktail MAME

Offline Miracleman

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 03:21:48 PM »
World changing? ???

Did you miss the "If you are a person of color" bit?

I agree with Jack overall, it was good, not great.

MILD NON-CRITICAL PLOT DISCUSSION

I was a bit confused on how much time had passed since the death of T'challa's father in Civil War. They say at the beginning of BP a week has passed, but when T'Challa returns to Wakanda everyone's happy to see him and nobody is mourning the previous King that much, or at all.

END MILD NON-CRITICAL PLOT DISCUSSION
Danai Gurira was awesome and in my view came off as the best actor, just as Tessa Thompson did in Ragnarok.
The heart of the script is not something I think young kids will grasp without their parents explaining things afterwards.
I thought Ragnarok was a better film, even though I think it had too much humor.

Black Panther IS an important film in that like WONDER WOMAN it will help loosen the monopoly that white males have had in Hollywood since it's inception, and cause it to be less stagnant.
I honestly find more original/entertaining films coming from outside of the USA, due to most of them having a different take/perspective than what we are used to seeing.

But, like any form of art, to each their own. We don't have to all like the same thing or view it, but there is little point in arguing against facts...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/black-panther-box-office?utm_term=.vujJe29aa&utm_source=buzzfeed&ref=buzzfeed#.jyweWlDmm
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 04:29:25 PM by Miracleman »

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 07:05:12 PM »
Did you miss the "If you are a person of color" bit?

The wheel, world changing.
Penicillin, world changing.
The transistor, world changing.
The second major superhero movie to star a black dude, world changing... for people of color :roll:

To this day, Blade is one of my favorite movies. Not because he was black, but because it was a great movie. I don't remember anyone caring about the lead character being black 20 years ago but today, in the bulk of the news stories, it is the focus of the movie. I guess the below quote does not fit today's narrative:

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

Past Pins: IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's

Offline mcluvin

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 07:32:23 PM »
I can totally understand a minority mom and dad wanting to have the option to buy their kid a minority Barbie doll.  For a long, long time they didn't.  It's something like that.  Walking through the cartoon area of Islands of Adventure, there are no minority characters.  They are all white.  Even cartoons where I know there was a minority character, they are still not represented.  I get it, at least I think I do.  At the same time, I despise that person who was hired to fulfill a quota, and is not really qualified.  Worse yet is when they know why they were hired and break every f'n rule in the book with impunity.  We live in an imperfect world.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 08:17:11 PM »
With all this SJW banter we've had in media the last year its nice to see a Black led movie based on a Black character that's just a good movie.

I don't think people have a problem with that at all.. in fact given the $230+ Million opening I'd say most people are totally cool with it. I was there opening night and i'm also looking forward to Captain Marvel next year. Once again the wider our superhero pool is the less likely things will get boring or overdone.

I just wish the studios would see something like this and think.. hey maybe we should shortlist that Spawn movie or bring back Blade or whatever.. Not hey let's redo XXX or YYY but change the character's gender or race. Not that it can never work.. Sam Jackson Nick Fury is awesome.. but you have to use common sense about when it's appropriate and when you are just trying to do some goofball virtue signaling stunt (ie Doctor Who or Ghostbusters).

Offline Miracleman

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 08:34:25 PM »
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

Nice try, but we're nowhere near that yet.

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 10:44:14 PM »
Nice try, but we're nowhere near that yet.

Since "we" by definition include you, I suggest you work on it. You do not speak for me.

I personally:

Admire, respect, or despise white people depending on their actions.
Admire, respect, or despise brown people depending on their actions.
Admire, respect, or despise black people depending on their actions.

Is that not exactly what MLK stated? And if you are proud of this movie because of the skin color of the actors/directors are you not in direct conflict with MLK's words?

Offline mcluvin

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 11:06:44 PM »
So we're purple and every f'n movie for the last 100 years has starred green people.  All of a sudden, we have a good movie starring purple people.  Wouldn't you be excited about that?  Remember, you are purple....

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 11:08:20 PM »
I can totally understand a minority mom and dad wanting to have the option to buy their kid a minority Barbie doll.  For a long, long time they didn't.  It's something like that.  Walking through the cartoon area of Islands of Adventure, there are no minority characters.  They are all white.  Even cartoons where I know there was a minority character, they are still not represented.  I get it, at least I think I do.  At the same time, I despise that person who was hired to fulfill a quota, and is not really qualified.  Worse yet is when they know why they were hired and break every f'n rule in the book with impunity.  We live in an imperfect world.

5 second Google search: First black Barbie doll: Christie, 1968, 50 years ago. So they did exist a long time ago, mainstream? Kind of, as it was made and marketed by a major toy manufacture.

Getting back to movies: Look at Blade, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_(film)

Blade was Marvel's first box office success, and set the stage for further comic film adaptations.

How world changing is that? The first Marvel movie that was a success stared a black guy, 20 years ago and no one gave a shit if he was black or white. The movie was judged on it's entertainment value, not the race of the main character. It sickens me that people cannot look at Black Panther the same way today, people focusing on race instead of the content.

Offline mcluvin

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 11:20:47 PM »
5 second Google search: First black Barbie doll: Christie, 1968, 50 years ago. So they did exist a long time ago, mainstream? Kind of, as it was made and marketed by a major toy manufacture.

Getting back to movies: Look at Blade, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_(film)

Blade was Marvel's first box office success, and set the stage for further comic film adaptations.

How world changing is that? The first Marvel movie that was a success stared a black guy, 20 years ago and no one gave a shit if he was black or white. The movie was judged on it's entertainment value, not the race of the main character. It sickens me that people cannot look at Black Panther the same way today, people focusing on race instead of the content.

Dude, I worked retail mid-80's in the deep south and we did not sell black Barbies.  They may have existed, but were not mainstream.  I somehow have a strange suspicion Rush has been spewing about Blade for the last few days.

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 11:21:44 PM »
So we're purple and every f'n movie for the last 100 years has starred green people.  All of a sudden, we have a good movie starring purple people.  Wouldn't you be excited about that?  Remember, you are purple....

But that is not reality. As it has been pointed out, 20 years ago we had a hugely successful superhero movie staring a black guy. Did it bring blacks out of poverty? Did it change the percentage of single mothers in the black community? Did it reduce black on black violent crime? No. It was just a good movie. This is where I have a problem with the people jerking off all over themselves saying this movie is a "world changer". It has been done before and there was no "world change" for black people. Hell, we had a black president for 8 years and there was no "world change" either.

You know what changes your world? Working hard and getting a education that is marketable. I have never known a black doctor or engineer that was unemployed.  :P