Author Topic: Your advice on WOZ, HOUDINI and DIALED IN  (Read 2994 times)

Offline PinHobby

• Level 3: Hologram
Your advice on WOZ, HOUDINI and DIALED IN
« on: March 08, 2018, 12:21:05 PM »
Ready for my next pin. Only room for one so would like feedback.
Played WOZ several times and like it. Played Dialed in a couple of times and liked it.
Never seen a Houdini other than on the web but like what I see.
I would appreciate any feedback regarding these pins.
Thanks!
Pins: ST PRO, STTNG, ST 25th Anniversary, Bally Star Trek,  POTC, Monopoly, Black Rose, WOZ, and Dialed In LE.

Offline CafeOne

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
Re: Your advice on WOZ, HOUDINI and DIALED IN
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 01:16:49 PM »
1- Dialed In
2 - WOZ
3 - Houdini

Cafe One - 403 N US Hwy 1 , Ormond Beach , FL 32174
(386) 492-4873   Closed Monday and Tuesday.
Breakfast and Lunch Pinball Cafe
www.cafeone.net

At the Cafe :
Scooby Doo CE, Iron Maiden Prem, Elton John Platinum, Toy Story 4 LE, James Bond Prem , Jurassic Park Premium , Cactus Canyon LE, Rush Premium, Venom premium

Offline Raikus

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • Building an Arcade Ark
    • Flippin' Great Pinball
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 01:34:33 PM »
Based on my playing experience:

1. Houdini
2. Dialed In

3. WoZ

I really enjoyed Houdini and think Dialed In is the best JJP game hands down. Not a fan of WoZ.
Flippin' Great Pinball (Tallahassee)
Podouken Arcade Podcast

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 03:11:42 PM »
Houdini was frustrating to play!  Had about ten games on it and really struggled with the shots.  Some were just super tight and others didn't seem the angles were right(far left catapult, made that shot once in ten games).  Its a very attractive game and liked the sound and music though.

LOVED Dialed In, I would get one if I could afford it.  Super fun, especially the selfie mode LOL!  Had a blast playing that game and would love to play it more.

Offline Pindaddy

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 03:41:16 PM »
You can't go wrong with any of those titles. I played Houdini about 20 games when I was at the pinball lounge in Oviedo. At first I thought it was kinda cheap with the plastic moulded back glass surround. The ball got stuck on the Ouija  board thing a few times and they didn't have a key to open up the glass, the game would give another ball after a few ball searches, but had to tilt to shake the ball loose eventually. But after playing it all night... I want one.  Certainly worth driving out there to play it and try it out . You will love it I'm sure.

Offline BigMatt

• There is no spoon
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 04:35:59 PM »
Never played houdini, but dialed in is just okay. It feels very 90s pat lawlor so save some coin get an older title if you are jonesing for it, woz is my favourite game right now hands down you cant go wrong with it.
Golden screwdriver recipient.

Offline k7

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 04:58:50 PM »
you have to play each one for 30ish minutes.

this question will get you 20 people, with 20 opinions, and that's on 20 games set up 20 different ways.

good luck with the search. but play them. that way, you can decide what works for you.

me? I have 30 minutes on woz, 6 minutes on dialed in, and 40 seconds on a tournament game of Houdini.

I wouldn't buy any of them. and my opinion, given those time limits and game set ups? it's worthless. ;)
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline the architect

• Tournament pinball is fun
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 07:04:36 PM »
1- Dialed In
2 - WOZ
3 - Houdini

Agreed.
Jumping jack, rush pro, argosy,

On loan- LUCKY HAND

Offline pinballcorpse

• Join the Dark Side: Play Tournament Pinball
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 07:20:52 PM »
Have not played Houdini, but I have played WOZ and Dialed In, and I don't enjoy playing either game whatsoever. I only play them if I am forced to in a tourney.   

(one of the 20 opinions k7 referenced) 

EDIT: I guess it would be more helpful to offer meaningful advice, than to say what I like and don't.  Best advice is to play them and see how it goes.  Since you said you like WOZ, and Dialed in, it seems you are good with either one. I think WOZ is more unique in the rules department (thanks to KEF), but I don;t like the playfield shot patterns at all, and I don't care for widebody games (except Paragon). 

Dialed in feels like a typical Pat Lawlor game, with some twists in the rules, but the sound/art/low scoring package just doesn't draw me in.  I like many of Pat's games, but this one is not doing it for me. 

Not sure asking for opinions will ever be better than simply seeing how the game makes you feel when you play it. :)

Best of luck to you. 

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 07:55:49 PM by pinballcorpse »
“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

Offline Triggerfish

• Level 2: Villager
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 09:15:56 PM »
I've played the three of them.   My preference would be:
1.  WOZ.  I love the looks and the interesting shots.
2.  Houdini.  Same as above. 
3.  Dialed In.  Ok play, but the theme just left me cold. 

Personally if I was in that ballpark money wise though my first choice would be one of the new POTC games, followed by a MMR.  Played the POTC at Freeplay and loved it, it went straight near the top of my list.  MMR is a classic, always has been one of my favorites.

Offline busa32927

• Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 10:33:39 PM »
i would ask if u r looking for a long ball time game or a short.  jjp usually have long ball times.    i have seen lots of dialed in for sale.  woz are here and there.  houdini has toughnshots but with practice u will get it.  if u can wait i would see how houdini holds up mechanically.  woz is a great game.  great choices to pick from. 
vids:   246/256 (tekken 5 and soul calibur),  robotron, joust w/jrok, centipede

pins:  Star Trek premmy, ACDC prem, SW(stern) prem,  BM66 prem, GnR LE, jjp potc le, Woz, The Hobbit,  JP(stern), Godzilla premmy,  AIQ (prem), EHoH. LoTR, CCr, F-14

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook, Spiderman, GoT, Metallica, IMdn, Munsters, Grand Lizard, WhirlWind, BKSOR, Alice Cooper, RZ, BSD, Firepower, STTNG, TMNT prem, TWD, Gilligan

Offline TheBatman

• Batman
  • (secret identity Jsgtrman, don't tell anyone!)
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 03:17:10 AM »
Fyi, The Pinball Lounge now has both Houdini and Dialed In, as well as Medieval Madness R and a bunch of other nice games. Fwiw I think I might actually like all the toys on WOZ more than Houdini and Dialed in, but not nuts about the theme of any of them. Dialed in did have some cool stuff going on and an interesting playfield.

Offline Pindaddy

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 09:42:07 AM »
What are the coolest things about the Houdini game is one of the modes forces the flippers to be opposit so the left button operates the right flipper and right button operates the left flipper. Then you can go for a 2X bonus and have the flippers actually turn upside down. They mechanically move to the up position as if you were holding down the button and pushing the button lowers them, they spring back to this upside down position for the duration of the mode. It was super challenging, i tried real hard, my brain couldn't make heads or tails of it, but it was really fun and different. Super cool feature.

Offline PinFan4Life

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 06:13:42 PM »
While I can’t rate Houdini yet because I haven’t played it (but that may change by tomorrow night), I can tell you 100% with certainty that WOZ is a winner and true keeper game for me and I really like Dialed In (have about 10 games on it at Cafe One - Shout out to Karl). Will update after some games on Houdini.  I do have to say that JJP puts out very high quality games and stands behind their products from a support and service standpoint.  Looks like you have it narrowed down to 3 Strong contenders though.
Pins: Elvira’s HOH Prem, Rush Premium, Godzilla Premium, Foo Fighters Premium, Cactus Canyon LE, Metallica, Star Trek Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, TMNT pro, Family Guy, Cirqus Voltaire, WOZ ECLE, Scooby Doo CE, Whirlwind.  Vids: 60 in 1 Multicade, Megatouch EVO. Visiting currently: Wms Touchdown EM.

Offline PinHobby

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 11:38:33 PM »
Thanks for all suggestions, much appreciated!
Leaning towards WOZ but got to play Houdini a few times before I commit.
I really need to bust into the garage for more space.
Keep those comments coming and thanks!
Pins: ST PRO, STTNG, ST 25th Anniversary, Bally Star Trek,  POTC, Monopoly, Black Rose, WOZ, and Dialed In LE.