Author Topic: Review: Annihilation  (Read 312 times)

Offline Hamster

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
    • Coin Op Florida
Review: Annihilation
« on: March 12, 2018, 11:08:56 AM »
Hamster's two sentence review.. with spoilers...

Save your $$ and wait for it to be available @ 7-11 discount movie shelf, i envision that if you ever wanted to know what being on acid was like, this would be the movie to go see.  there is a big plot blunder with this whole movie...  see spoiler below...

Spoiler: show

So the premise is something smashed into a lighthouse from outer space... its been slowly taking over the area with a "Shimmer" , its later determined this shimmer is basically just scrambling up DNA... it also blocks RF and Navigation signals.. but it lets Light thru without issue... anyways, like typical Hollywood fashion, they figure the quickest way to the Lighthours is thru a dense forest... however, half way to the lighthouse they determine they can get out via the beach... WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST GO IN VIA THE BEACH??!!! movie ends when they kill the "unknown organism" in  the end.

http://www.coinopflorida.com // http://freeplayflorida.com

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - eeguru

current: pins: TSPP, AMH, T3, ST:TNG, ST:LE, RG, RCT, DW. DE:ST, WW
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, (2) Sega Uni, Dual Outrun 2 Driver, OmegaRace, Ataxx, Reactor, Crystal Castle, MultiVector, Cloak and Dagger

Offline PinFever

• Level 9: Grid Champion
    • Pc Gamers Battle company ( OUTLAW )
Re: Review: Annihilation
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 12:27:33 PM »
sounds like a crap movie, ty for the warning ,,   :D

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 01:37:58 PM »
I had hope for this flick.  May do a matinee if the mood strikes.  Thanks for the synopsis.

Offline scarabaeus

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 02:19:31 PM »
Save your $$ and wait for it to be available @ 7-11 discount movie shelf, i envision that if you ever wanted to know what being on acid was like, this would be the movie to go see.

I used to share an office cubicle in Tallahassee with Jeff, the author of the book on which Annihilation is based.  He used to self-publish his sci-fi/fantasy stuff and people in the office would help him out by buying a few of his books.  Honestly, all of the books were terrible and most of us couldn't get past the first few chapters, so I'm not really surprised that this movie isn't very good.  I'm planning on trying to fight through it when the movie hits the $1.99 rental bin on the App Store.

The literary gods must love him though. He's won a bunch of awards over the years and for what I understand he has sold the movie rights to Annihilation and the following few books.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 02:57:04 PM »
I saw Annihilation on Friday.

First off.. I was surprised it was even out. I was certain it hadn't been released yet but was shocked to see it had already been out for a few weeks. Apparently the studio abandoned it thus there was little marketing stateside and it's getting a Netflix release in all other countries eschewing any sort of theatrical run at all.

Without getting too much into spoilers the plot involves a meteor hitting a lighthouse creating a 'shimmer' zone that is impenetrable to any sort of communication. A number of teams have been sent in to investigate but none have returned. Natalie Portman joins the latest expedition to find out what is going on in the Shimmer zone.

What's interesting here is what this film is and isn't. The trailers made it sound like a monster movie but at it's heart it's a high-concept Horror film. Think of something like The Fountain mixed with a David Cronenberg film. It's very effective as a Horror movie producing some deeply disturbing imagery while never resorting to tricks like jump scares. All of this is wrapped in a narrative involving a number of concepts related to self, predetermination and the nature of life.. once again not the normal concepts found in modern Horror movies.

Is it pretentious ? A bit.. but it's intelligently written and well made so it never felt like it was over reaching or was being pretentious for the sake of being pretentious. What irks me on many 'heady' movies is if the script itself is dumb.. which to me undermines everything.. I never got that feeling here.. thankfully.

Bottom line.. I can see why the studio execs were afraid of this film.. it has a very narrow target audience. People expecting a jungle adventure ala Jumanji or your typical Horror Film will be deeply disappointed. However, I quite enjoyed it and felt the mixture of concepts and genres was pretty well done. This almost feels like a 70s-throwback film and not something we'd expect out of today's commercial-oriented Hollywood. It's a shame this bombed so badly as it will probably prevent the next film like it from even being produced.. ie bring on the next Conjuring Sequel instead.

Offline mcluvin

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 06:45:46 PM »
I used to share an office cubicle in Tallahassee with Jeff, the author of the book on which Annihilation is based.  He used to self-publish his sci-fi/fantasy stuff and people in the office would help him out by buying a few of his books.  Honestly, all of the books were terrible and most of us couldn't get past the first few chapters, so I'm not really surprised that this movie isn't very good.  I'm planning on trying to fight through it when the movie hits the $1.99 rental bin on the App Store.

The literary gods must love him though. He's won a bunch of awards over the years and for what I understand he has sold the movie rights to Annihilation and the following few books.

I will admit to reading and liking Battlefield Earth as a teenager, but some of the schlock they are putting out now is amazingly bad.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 05:09:10 PM »
Just saw this, and yeah, I'm surprised it got any sort of theatrical release. I think after "Arrival" they were hopeful this would do as well.

Putting it out on Netflix in other regions is an odd choice too, because of course it'll make it onto the internet almost instantly (and not just the usual cam-corder crap before the streaming/Blu-Ray comes out for most movies).

I didn't hate it, but mostly it was good for the visuals - generally well-done FX and it built up over the course of the film.

It kind of comes down to - if we encounter something truly alien, we're not going to understand it. Its motivations and actions won't make sense - moreso if it comes to us rather than the other way around. We're not going to be equipped to handle that. They demonstrate that, but then don't do anything with it.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 09:01:45 PM by Niloc »