Author Topic: Thinking about PS VR  (Read 2089 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
Re: Thinking about PS VR
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 02:37:53 PM »
Given how much of a 'novelty' VR is right now versus a revolution I think the PS VR is the best compromise in terms of performance versus price.

Sure an Occulus is a much better option but it also costs 3x as much and at the end of the day how much are you actually going to be playing these things?

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 12:21:30 PM »
Given how much of a 'novelty' VR is right now versus a revolution I think the PS VR is the best compromise in terms of performance versus price.

Sure an Occulus is a much better option but it also costs 3x as much and at the end of the day how much are you actually going to be playing these things?

I've got an Occulus and wouldn't mind having a PS VR - it just seems simpler, and more of the games seem to be aimed at "sitting on the couch VR" rather than "room scale VR" - and I'd prefer the former, for the most part.

Don't have a PS4 so that's pretty much a non-starter at the moment though. There are rumors that the PS5 could be out this year though, but I highly doubt that.

One of the problems with VR, particularly the higher-end PC VR, is that you really need a dedicated room and dedicated, powerful PC if you're going to be using it a lot. Who the hell has an entire spare room?

The first thing they need to refine is getting rid of all the extra crap that's currently needed - the "lighthouses" or the PS camera, etc. - that all needs to be built into the headset. Cameras, lasers, radar, whatever - that orients itself to the room you're in, rather than needing a specific external device for that.

Plus making it truly wireless (I know there are some solutions for that already) and then getting the headset down to the size of a pair of those wrap-around sunglasses old people wear... then you've got something potentially mainstream, probably paired with a console rather than PC.

The controllers should probably be down to just a pair of gloves (if the system can't just recognize your real hands) - then everything else could just be props - a piece of non-descript plastic that is vaguely gun shaped (but in VR looks totally realistic) for shooters, other shapes for other types of games - just something to hold and give the needed tactile response.

Predictably, all the hype about how they "fixed the problems with VR" with the Occulus were WAY over-stated. They fixed one problem (lag/response), computers just being far more powerful now fixed some other problems, but there are still plenty of problems.

Offline yesimbrandon

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 12:44:34 PM »
I think room scale VR is great, but I have one gaming PC in my office and trying to find a space as well as having another PC that can play these games well can be a problem.

That's why I've also considered the PS VR and the prices are coming down now, just make sure you get the version 2 headset.
Pins: Deadpool Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, Game of Thrones Pro, Doctor Who, The Shadow, Meteor