Author Topic: Free games via Twitch / Amazon Prime  (Read 939 times)

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
Free games via Twitch / Amazon Prime
« on: March 19, 2018, 11:42:22 AM »
Amazon bought Twitch a while back - I've never been too interested in Twitch personally, I mean I watch a lot of gaming videos on YouTube, but those tend to be short-documentary style videos, or game reviews. Watching someone else play a game, and on a schedule like live TV rather than on-demand anytime... bad combination for me.

When I was playing World of Warcraft though, I found out that the modern way to manage add-ons for it is through the Twitch client (apparently Twitch bought Curse gaming, sometime before Amazon bought Twitch) - and that works quite well.

Then I found out that if you've got Amazon Prime you can "subscribe" to one Twitch channel per month for free - and apparently that benefits the person running the channel as if you had actually paid. So I went through and subscribed to some people I already liked from YouTube - RedLetterMedia (Previously Recorded), GiantBomb, Blame Society, Pushing Up Roses and others.

The most recent development with Amazon/Twitch is that they're now offering free games, like the PlayStation premium service - but apparently you get to keep the games forever (linked to your free Twitch account) even if you cancel Amazon Prime at some point.

For March they've got 4 or 5 free games - "Superhot" being the standout for me. April will have a new set of games, including "Tokyo 42", another one I've got on my to-get list.

They download through the Twitch client, because they're coming from Amazon's digital game service (a direct competitor to Steam) - so kind of annoying to have yet another game client thingy to deal with, but I've had no issues with the Twitch client, unlike EA Origin and fucking god damn shitty U-Play.

Short version: Got Amazon Prime? Get your free games through Twitch.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 11:50:03 AM by Niloc »

Offline ratsflif

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • All your base
Re: Free games via Twitch / Amazon Prime
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 12:11:22 PM »
Super Hot in VR is great.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 05:19:57 PM »
I play Hearthstone, you know -  the uber gay World of Warcraft themed dumbed down Magic card game that's way overpriced.

By linking my Prime to Twitch I've got a few things in-game.. free packs, free card backs, etc.

Since you get 1 free Sub I sub up to the only Hearthstone streamer I watch.. hey why not its free.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 03:09:46 PM »
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-07-03-twitch-is-offering-21-free-games-to-prime-members-this-month

21 free games on Twitch this month with Amazon Prime. Way more than usual, a promotion for "prime day".

Looks like you can only claim some of them on certain days though, and the range is just a day or two for certain titles. Once you've claimed them that should be it though.

As far as I can tell you can only claim them on the Twitch web page, not through the client - then the client syncs and you can download and install them if you wish.